Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Forum Inactivity (Read 9354 times)
Platinum

I love HDR

Canada
Forum Inactivity
06/17/15 at 18:55:29

Is this forum dead, I don't see much activity ? I have questions I'd like to ask Blochi about his book and a few other Misc questions.

IP Logged

Ian_

Yay Me!

Ohio, USA
Re: Forum Inactivity
Reply #1 - 06/19/15 at 09:16:48

Well I don't think its dead, although the ravenous spambots do circle around like vultures lol.  I'm on here a lot, although I don't interact much, since there's already enough info on here and from the book to learn from already.  Maybe that's why there hasn't been a whole of activity, because Blochi's book already answered a lot of questions, and everyone's busy applying that knowledge, who knows?

IP Logged

Rork
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/19/15 at 12:29:10

Well...

I do check in twice a week or so, to see what's happening.
It's hard though with all the spam bots Wink

Just ask your questions, and at some point they will be answered.

rob

IP Logged

Platinum

I love HDR

Canada
Reply #3 - 06/19/15 at 14:53:00

Blochi's book(s) do answer alot of questions.  He does mention if you have any questions regarding what you read to ask Smiley

One of my question is, I found a http://www.dxo.com/us/photography/tutorials/creating-hdr-effect-single-raw-image program that can, as well as, I was informed I can create HDR from a single RAW photo, with or without the program,  do you recommend this ?

In the first edition of the HDR book, I read that EXR display has no zoom and it always shows actual pixels, I don't understand ?

IP Logged

Joel Gafford

Curious Apprentice

Reply #4 - 06/21/15 at 22:52:04

If the information isn't in the original image it isn't there.  Blown highlights are blown and clipped shadows are clipped.  What you can do is emphasize and exaggerate information that is already present, but you don't need any fancy software for that.  Tonemapping single images are possible, but the final result will not be accurate floating point data, and it will only look good if the original image captured the full dynamic range of the scene (or at least got close).

Hope this helps

IP Logged

Platinum

I love HDR

Canada
Reply #5 - 06/21/15 at 23:04:17

Joel - In other words, you don't suggest creating HDR from a single RAW file ?

What about my second question, do you understand what is meant ? I can give a page number of the first edition of the book if required ?

« Last Edit: 06/25/15 at 15:07:58 by Platinum »  

IP Logged

Pinin

Curious Apprentice

Reply #6 - 06/28/15 at 02:34:43

I also came here maybe but spambots makes it difficult.

IP Logged

Platinum

I love HDR

Canada
Reply #7 - 06/28/15 at 19:21:14

How do spambots make it difficult ?

I see the spam myself, for Nike running shoes etc, that doesn't mean the forum is inaccessible. The spam needs to be filtered, it appears that some spam for Nike running shoes or the like has caused most not to visit this forum.

Bloch wrote two great books, and alot is answered in these books, but after reading the first book twice, some stuff is not explained as thoroughly as one would think, maybe to some because they have a stronger understanding then others. 

This forum is suppose to be used for those difficult questions from the book or HDR in general, as I'm finding out due to some spam, as of the past six months that I can recall, there is no activity, you ask a question and it collects dust.

IP Logged

Ian_

Yay Me!

Ohio, USA
Reply #8 - 07/02/15 at 01:32:58

Well I think the spam adds to the forum's inactivity because it floods each section with threads which make it hard to spot real ones.  Even the titles of the threads can be misleading.  So when users occasionally check for new posts, they may get diverted because the don't see a real one right away.

By the way I'm not saying this forum is useless or anything because of Blocki's books or that people shouldn't ask questions.  You're right in saying that there can be very specific problems someone might have, the forum can help with those problems.  Also some people might not have the money for the book, so this site might be someone's main source of learning.  Heck, its probably the only hdri focused site that I know of with the most information on the subject.

Don't forget though, that hdri is very specialized field in photography and CG in general, which is probably why there isn't much traffic either.  Between Blochi's books, the tutorials on this site, the existing information on the forum, and information already out there, people just might not have that many questions or don't have a need to be on the forum.  I've been on this site for over a few years now and even without the spam, it hasn't been that active from day to day.  As to why Blochi isn't active here or why there isn't any active mods on here, I'm not sure why, maybe they're just too busy or because of the inactivity, they don't check the forum that much either.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #9 - 07/21/15 at 20:08:03

Hey all,

My apologies for the long silence. I've been very distracted with my day job as well as a short film I'm doing on my personal time (Trollbridge).

Will clean out the bots and do some basic maintenance here....

to the questions:

A: Making HDRs from a single RAW is technically possible - but only when your main focus is on tone mapping a nice image, not for CG lighting. Quality of the result will vary, but if the dynamic range of the scene fits in the RAW file (meaning there are no white or black pixels in the file) it can work pretty well. There is actually a whole chapter dedicated to that in the 2.0 version of the book. In short, you can either develop the file very flat in Lightroom, or you can also use the single RAW function in Photomatix.

B: In this context "EXRdisplay" is referring to the example program that is published along with all the example code by ILM. It's just called that. In the 2.0 revision I found this confusing and not even worth mentioning anymore....

Sorry for the silence again.

/Blochi

IP Logged

Platinum

I love HDR

Canada
Reply #10 - 07/22/15 at 02:34:25

Blochi - In version 1.0 of the HDR book you mention with regards to EXRDisplay that is, and I quote;

Quote:
has no zoom it always shows actual pixels

What do you mean by this ?

I do plan on reading version 2.0 of the HDR book, I want to get some things out of the way regarding the first book, no use reading a squeal if you did not understand what the original was about, at-least that is my point of view. 

I recall you mentioning that you emphasized some things from the first book in the second book, I have a few more questions, considering how busy you are, if you can squeeze some time in just one day, and I will throw some of the questions your direction, and you can verify whether the question is answered in version 2.0 of the HDR book or simply supply the answer to the question, hopefully Smiley

HDR photography has grown significantly since the first revision of your book. IMO the in-depth knowledge one gains from your books is most of the HDR books on amazon combined into two prints of your book, both theory and practice to set one off to sail with the correct knowledge.Smiley

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #11 - 07/23/15 at 04:44:54

"EXRDisplay has no zoom and shows actual pixels"  -  see answer B above. It is a program, and you can't zoom in it. This program is, however, fully outdated and is no longer mentioned in v2.0 of the book.

Yes, HDR has evolved a lot between both books. That's why the 2.0 book is a complete replacement for the first book. It's twice as thick (666 pages now) and that includes a complete rewrite/falsification of the info in the first book and a whole lot of additional stuff. Just look at this: http://www.hdrlabs.com/book/toc.html

IP Logged

Platinum

I love HDR

Canada
Reply #12 - 07/23/15 at 05:02:52

Thanks, I don't know why I thought otherwise for the program.

I'll read version 2.0 of the book, then if I have questions, you won't be able to escape them by telling me to read version 3.0 of the series Smiley

IP Logged

Isabella
YaBB Newbies

Curious Apprentice

Reply #13 - 12/23/15 at 09:01:35

i think it such an active forum...but i cant find something like "welcome" thread (sorry for some offtop)

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/09/16 at 18:57:15

Welcome Isabella!
There is no welcome thread .. but it's good idea Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print