Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HDRI Handbook 2.0 & my first Spherical Panorama (Read 4123 times)
Dr.Fnord

Curious Apprentice

HDRI Handbook 2.0 & my first Spherical Panorama
07/13/14 at 22:29:34

Well I've been reading/studying Christian's book for a couple of months or so now. I started at the beginning and have entered the tutorials. I stopped for a couple of weeks because my monitor had never been calibrated. I now have ColorMunki Display and I skipped ahead to the Pano section because I ordered a Nodal Ninja 3 MkII and an Opteka 6.5mm circular Fisheye lens. Last night I shot my first 360x180 Panorama but decided to do it as an LDR to keep it simple for now. I used PTgui and am excited with the results! Thank you Christian!

The purchase of your book happened to coincide with the start of a new class at ZBrush Workshops on using photos as scan data for making 3d models using Agisoft's PhotoScan. Also my tax return happened which combined with your book &the class convinced me to take the plunge and purchase a Nikon d5200 as well as a new tripod, circular polarizer, macro barrel extensions, LED Ring Flash (which doesn't actually flash but is a constant light), built myself a light box and am in the middle of building some lights.

You could say I've got the Bug.
I'm finally feeling a lot more comfortable with my camera (SLR's are sure a lot different from my Nokormat of 40 years ago!!---which I haven't had for the last 30) My learning curve has been extremely steep combined with learning Photoshop & Lightroom as well.

A year and a half ago I took a class at ZBrush Workshops which Meats Meiers taught. He introduced us to shooting chrome spheres which I have done quite a few times but using my Sony Cybershot so I was never able to do any HDRIs.

I have used quite a few of your HDRI's to light various models I've sculpted in ZBrush and have been extremely grateful to your generosity! One of my teachers, Paul Gaboury, was the one who pointed me to your site.

Here is the most recent expample of using one of your Panoramas:
----had to delete the link since this is my 1st post----

I'm still trying to get my website ironed out and will post more links in the "near" future.

Here are some of my homemade LDR lit models.-------another deleted link------------

Thanks again for everything you have done and as the Governor said: "Ahll be bahk".  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Re: HDRI Handbook 2.0 & my first Spherical Panorama
Reply #1 - 07/26/14 at 06:23:33

Wow, thank you for all the nice words.

It really does look like you got bitten by the bug Wink

Meats Meier is an awesome dude, and a brilliant artist! We met on a camping trip, sharing a ride. Here's a photo...

(l. to r.: Paul Debevec, Eric Hanson, Greg Downing, Meats Meier, and me)

DSC_0818.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Dr.Fnord

Curious Apprentice

Re: HDRI Handbook 2.0 & my first Spherical Panorama
Reply #2 - 08/04/14 at 16:19:33

Wow! Very Cool Christian! Thanks for sharing. Well I got an image on Google Maps (still not HDRI based) but was pleased with the result. Nikon d5200, Optika Aspherical "6.5mm" Fisheye lens, Nodal Ninja 3mkII, & Hugin from 8 photos:

https://www.google.com/maps/views/view/113545249687781170213/gphoto/604316715506...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print