Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
panogear 360 (Read 2397 times)
MPaquin

Curious Apprentice

panogear 360
06/29/14 at 21:01:37

I'm thinking of getting a Panogear motorized head, combind with a Promote. I'll be shooting with a Nikon D600 and Sigma 10-20mm at 20mm. I'm very familiar with PTGui. I'm curious if anyone has experience with this setup or something similar. My goal is full 360 spherical hdr at higher resolutions. I read that the Panogear can't shoot zenith with certain cameras. Would the D600 be too large for it? And what about stitching the nadir? It seems awfully time consuming to switch the camera to a Nodal Ninja with the nadir adapter to get the shot. Any workflows for this?

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Re: panogear 360
Reply #1 - 07/26/14 at 06:35:17

No experience with this Panogear head, and I'm generally no big fan of all automatic solutions...

But I would say the problem at hand, not beeing able to shoot the Zenith - well - that might not even be a real problem. It depends on how wide you can shoot / how high of a degree you can reach with the panobot. If all that's left is the center patch of sky, that is several kilometers away and thus nodal point is irrelevant. You may as well pop the camer off the rig when you're done and manually point it up from anywhere.

Same for the Nadir.
No Panobot can give you the nadir.
That's where the bot is.

So you'd still have to pop the camera off, and shoot it separately.

Either way - if you shoot at the 20mm end, I assume you're doing this for getting a higher resolution. Frankly, I'd recommend switching to a D800 instead. It means you wouldn't have to change your shooting/stitching style, but you'd still double the resolution of you panos...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print