Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Autopano Pro vs Ptgui (Read 8741 times)
xuanprada
Ex Member

Autopano Pro vs Ptgui
12/10/13 at 12:40:22

Hi all,

I've been using Ptgui for quite a while, for both professional and personal images, and I'm really happy with it, works perfectly so far.

But, I just realize that I'm not using Windows anymore, just for stitching panoramas.
So I'm planning to switch to Autopano Pro or Giga and avoid using Windows just for Ptgui.

Can you guys share your experiences working with Autopano products? It would be great to hear from you.

I use HDRI panoramas specially for vfx projects, so keeping all the data behind the images is a must for me. Ptgui is just great for that, but if I can get same kind of response from Autopano I'll give it a go.

Thanks!

IP Logged

xuanprada
Ex Member

Re: Autopano Pro vs Ptgui
Reply #1 - 12/11/13 at 22:27:33

I've been testing the trial version, and it works way faster than ptgui, but the final panorama seems to be clamped from 0 to 1 even usign .exe or .hdr

No values over 1 which is really weird.
Is this a limitation of the trial version?
Am I missing something?

Thanks!

IP Logged

tischbein3
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/12/13 at 00:35:31

The information is a bit hidden on their wiki page: If you got hdr images as input you need to _deactivate_ automatic color correction

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/LDR_/_HDR_-_Workflow_case_F

for more information on different input / output options look at

http://www.autopano.net/wiki-en/action/view/LDR_/_HDR_:_How_it_works

IP Logged

xuanprada
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/12/13 at 09:48:21

Thanks a lot for those links.
I'll give it a try this afternoon.

On the other hand, after all these years I just realized that ptGui has a Osx version Smiley

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #4 - 12/15/13 at 04:07:51

Yeah, I was just gonna say. PTGui runs perfectly fine on OSX, and you can even use your old serial. It's a cross-platform license.

I do recommend having both, Autopano Pro and PTGui. For all spherical panos, pretty much 80%, I use PTGui. But there are some occasions where APP comes in super-handy:
-  very large panos, where I can benefit from optimizing local clusters of source images
-  when I have a big folder of many partial panos (as these often occur as reference on a shoot). That's where the auto-detection and auto-render takes away all the hassle.

When it comes down to it, you can even export a project from Autopano to PTGui, and then render there. I do that a lot, because I like the blending in PTGui better (may just be pure fandom). So these programs really complement each other.

(reminder, if you have the book you can unlock a sweet coupon on the www.hdrlabs.com/tools page)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print