Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
e-book version The HDRI Handbook 2.0 images download link please! (Read 19513 times)
hdr
Ex Member

e-book version The HDRI Handbook 2.0 images download link please!
10/29/13 at 16:43:30

Hi Christian,

I just purchased "The HDRI Handbook 2.0" as a e-book to read on my iPad.

I understand that no DVD is included, but it is very uncommon that there is no download link in the e-book for the working files (images) in the tutorial chapters!!!

It would be nice if you make them available for download on this website, because otherwise it makes the e-book version pretty useless.

The price difference has nothing to do with excluding those files for download, because I have 35 books on my iPad with download links and they are also much cheaper then the real book.

Thanks! David Smiley

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Re: e-book version The HDRI Handbook 2.0 images download link please!
Reply #1 - 10/30/13 at 01:16:45

Hi David,

There are a whole bunch of reasons why the DVD content is not available for download. Let me try to touch on a bunch of them:

1. This DVD does not contain "fillers", instead I had to squeeze all tutorial files on there. There are originals, bracketing sequences, big PSD comps, that's a lot of really big files. It is in fact 3 GB of content. I simply don't have enough bandwidth to offer the download on this website, we are already running at capacity. This page has 1 TB transfer limit, and that is eaten up every month by the regular free downloads.

2. The ebook version was not done by me. It was an afterthought by the publisher, it's an automatic conversion and I wouldn't even had a chance to put links in.

3. There are many other, more subtle reasons, why I consider the ebook version a pale shadow of the printed one. It's much lower resolution (the guest galleries alone are gorgeous in the real book), it has all Layout stripped (whereas we spent a lot of time aligning text and images properly in the tutorials), and it is actually less useful as reference. I've written a more detailed rant about the problems of this ebook version here: http://www.hdrlabs.com/news/index.php?id=557212037791101781

Well, and a fourth reason is that with the purchase of the printed edition you are actually supporting the author. My share on the ebook is infinitesimally tiny, I think it's somewhere between 10 and 15 cents.

So that's why the DVD content is excluded, as obvious disadvantage of the ebook, and that's why it says in bold on the first page. Please buy the real book. It's really not expensive, and I promise you will like it even better. Consider these $35 the price of the content DVD, and even under that light you will find it worth it.

Christian Bloch

IP Logged

hdr
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/30/13 at 12:55:23

Thanks for your reply Christian!

The only thing I would change then is:

! BONUS DVD ONLY WITH THE PRINT EDITION (NOT AVAILABLE WITH eBOOKS) !

in:

! Working files for tutorials not included or being available for download, because we couldn't

find a cheap cloud solution for you to download the files !

Huh Embarrassed Cry

Normally you find it on the publishers website.

And the fact that you made a bad deal with the publisher concerning e-books is I think not of our business anyway.

All I know that I have paid 15 for the book.

It is the first e-book that comes with out working files I have seen.

David

IP Logged

jayhfd
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/20/13 at 01:27:01

Hey Christian,
I wouldn't be concerned about mentioning your share of the book or encouraging/asking people to buy the physical copy - you wrote the thing and are providing everyone with heaps of value in that book and on this site/the forums. People who buy the physical book are supporting future copies, yourself and this site if they buy it.

Having said that, I like the ease of just buying/downloading ebooks too. Furthermore, I love being able to search the ebook with keywords. It's unfortunate people can't buy a 'full price ebook' with download options.

Hope the book is doing well for you!

Regards,
Jay

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #4 - 11/22/13 at 03:22:48

Hey Jay,

You sound like someone who read the paper book.

Did you have a look at the ebook version?

I've been working forever on the explicit goal of adding value to the book, and I'm glad you're picking up on that. Even on the DVD menu, and all that extra stuff, the cheat sheets, the resolution of the pictures, and the layout that makes things clear. All that is lost in the ebook, and that's what bothers me about the ebook version the most. Guess in the blog post I said that this ebook is missing all the neat gimmicks of the paper book (crossword puzzles ect.), and doesn't use any of the chances that electronic delivery would offer. Nothing is interactive, there are no video snippets, no panorama viewer. Because it's just a conversion of a book designed for paper. Like a website that is one GIF, scanned off a flyer.

I love ebooks. Read them all the time.
And the revision 3.0 will certainly be first and foremost an ebook. But this 2.0 was designed to be a paper book. Even keyword search is less effective than the index, because it comes up with many false positives (I learned this when I wrote the index, yes, by hand).

There's very little control I have over what's published, so I couldn't make something like an extended ebook version. What I actually wanted RockyNook to do was offer a "Deluxe" version with hardcover and the ebook included. But that fell flat, somehow. It was also not supposed to be a DVD, but a pre-written SD card. So that would be an extra value (cause you could reuse that card) and would allow me more room for more extra stuff. Also fell flat.

Hmm.

What I could do is offer the DVD content here on the page as payed download. Kind of an "upgrade". That would cover the overage costs for bandwidth. Tricky thing is that this makes the "upgraded ebook" appear equally nice and useful as the real book (which it still is not), and I fear it would appear to people as a ripoff.

IP Logged

tifosian
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/22/13 at 18:18:06

Hi Blochi,

One possibility.. is uploading only the raw files ,so that the ebook users can atleast work along. The videos however would still only be exclusively available ..on the dvd associated with the print book.

Pavan
« Last Edit: 11/25/13 at 04:31:48 by N/A »  

IP Logged

jayhfd
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/03/13 at 06:55:20

Hey Christian,
I don't think offering those files as a paid extra is a ripoff at all. The ebook is cheaper for a couple reasons - its non physical and you don't get the bonuses.

So as long as the upgrade price for the files is not higher than the physical book I think that's totally fair. You might be able to make back some of the profit you lose on the ebook. This may or may not be worthwhile, depending on how many requests you get for it, and whether those people are willing to pay! Smiley

Cheers,
Jay

IP Logged

mike mcelroy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/16/16 at 05:53:02

How about hard copy of this guide, maybe this is what I need and a physical reference is something helpful for me specially I will be using it when I am in the remote are working.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print