Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
sIBL GUI for Blender (Read 36101 times)
jedfrechette

Curious Apprentice

sIBL GUI for Blender
08/30/13 at 21:49:58

I'm pleased to announce the first release of sIBL GUI for Blender.

Although a few features are still missing it should be ready for most typical usage. More information including installation instructions is available on the wiki page: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/sIBL_G.... Note that the required template files are distributed separately from both the Blender addon and the main sIBL GUI application. Once I can get a little more feedback I hope to get these included in the main sIBL GUI application.

Please report any bugs, and let me know how things work.

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Re: sIBL GUI for Blender
Reply #1 - 09/02/13 at 23:23:07

Hello,

Let me tell you something Smiley Awesome work, I didn't give it a go because I'm quite busy, but I have taken a look at your code quickly, looks very promising! Keep it up!

KS

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #2 - 09/09/13 at 20:57:08

Wow, that's awesome!

Sorry I only notice this thread now, but this is big stuff. Many people were asking for Blender support. The Blender community would probably be a better place to find testers. Once you think you have a stable release, just drop me a line and I will add it to the download page.

Best,
Blochi

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #3 - 09/10/13 at 10:09:29

I'll merge his changes for the next sIBL_GUI build and it should be available for everybody from the updater after that!

KS

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #4 - 09/16/13 at 00:01:45

Hey Jed,

I just stumbled over this add-on.
http://blenderthings.blogspot.com/2013/07/blender-addon-to-setup-image-based.htm...
What do you think of it, does your template generate a similar setup, or better? Integration with sIBL_GUI is certainly a huge plus, which is why I consider yours the first real / official sIBL loader.

FYI - I took the liberty to steal your screenshot for the front page news.

IP Logged

Gabrie_S
YaBB Newbies

Curious Apprentice

Reply #5 - 09/16/13 at 21:24:18

I have send yon an email about the fact that d'ont work for me

IP Logged

bob groothuis

Bob Groothuis

The Netherlands
Reply #6 - 09/22/13 at 11:41:07

Hello Jed,

Here is a bug report for Blender 2.68 on Macos X 10.8.5

- Installed the io_import_sibl_gui.py script on the correct spot.

- Installed the Latest sIBL_Gui 4.0.7.

- Installed the Blender sIBL template

So far so good, only when trying to specify the path to sIBL_Gui 4.0.7 in the Blender preferences Addons it goes wrong:

1) Blender_addons_pref_a.png shows the sIBL Gui for Blender addon

2) when searching for the sIBL_Gui 4.0 executable and clicking accept (see screenshot Blender_addons_pref_b.png) no path is seen in the preferences (see screenshot Blender_addons_pref_c.png)

3) then thought about to add the path manually in the preferences so "/Applications/sIBL_GUI 4.app/"
(see screenshot Blender_addons_pref_d.png). After saving the User Settings the link disappears!
So no path is saved (you the same window as Blender_addons_pref_a.png)

Tried to do the same on Windows 7 with Parallels Desktop but also there the same problem.

Is there a workaround for this?

Thought about editing the Userpref.blend file but guess thats not possible?

Thanks!

Bob
« Last Edit: 09/27/13 at 06:51:06 by bob groothuis »  
IP Logged

jedfrechette

Curious Apprentice

Reply #7 - 09/25/13 at 23:31:19

Blochi wrote on 09/16/13 at 00:01:45:
I just stumbled over this add-on.
http://blenderthings.blogspot.com/2013/07/blender-addon-to-setup-image-based.htm...
What do you think of it, does your template generate a similar setup, or better?

My setup is very similar. In fact, that post was part of my inspiration. The main difference is the UI. That addon works within the material editor and only sets up the basic material properties, it doesn't create any lamps or extra controller objects.

Gabriel and Bob, thanks for the bug reports. I've been busy with work the last few weeks but things are slowing down now and looking in to these issues is on my TODO list for the next few days. I'll report back once I've made some progress.

IP Logged

jedfrechette

Curious Apprentice

Reply #8 - 09/26/13 at 01:04:12

bob groothuis wrote on 09/22/13 at 11:41:07:
3) then thought about to add the path manually in the preferences so "/Applications/sIBL_GUI 4.app/"

I don't have access to a Mac for testing, but I think this should be something like:
/Applications/sIBL_GUI 4.app/Contents/MacOS/EXECUTABLE

Where EXECUTABLE is the actual executable file in that directory, although I'm afraid I'm not sure what the filename will be.

What path are you using for the executable on Windows when it fails? It should be something like:

C:\Program Files\HDRLabs\sIBL_GUI 4\sIBL_GUI.exe

I'm sure you've already figured this out, but you don't need to launch sIBL GUI from within Blender for the rest of the addon to work so that is one workaround until I can get this working in a more user friendly way.

IP Logged

Artales
YaBB Newbies

Curious Apprentice

United Kingdom
Reply #9 - 09/26/13 at 10:32:14

I just wanted to say thank you for this. This is a big deal for Blender users.   Cheesy

IP Logged

jedfrechette

Curious Apprentice

Reply #10 - 09/27/13 at 00:11:33

Can someone with a Mac test this revision of the Blender addon:

https://bitbucket.org/jedfrechette/sibl_gui_for_blender/raw/2520ada60ac1d6b2f4eb...

When setting the sIBL GUI executable in the preferences I think you should now be able to specify either the sIBL GUI 4.app directory or the actual launcher application inside of it.

Thanks,

IP Logged

bob groothuis

Bob Groothuis

The Netherlands
Reply #11 - 09/27/13 at 07:01:23

Hello Jed,

Sorry for the late reply.

Checked you last script and it works now on the Mac!

Only had to select the main sIBL_GUI 4.app and it automatically detected the following link

/Applications/sIBL_GUI 4.app/Contents/MacOS/launcher

Important note have a bit to little time to check it to import a sIBL will do that later, but for now the link to the sIBL_Gui 4 app could be saved please see screenshot

Also will have a closer look on the Windows Blender version (through Parallels) let you know.

Many thanks for your quick help.

Greetings

Bob

IP Logged

jedfrechette

Curious Apprentice

Reply #12 - 10/02/13 at 18:24:28

This was posted on Blender Nation this morning so I guess I'll find out how ready for prime time it is.

Kel, for now I'll keep fixing any bugs that come up in my own fork but when you're ready to make another build of sIBL GUI let me know and I'll make a pull request.

Best,

IP Logged

42below

Curious Apprentice

Reply #13 - 11/30/13 at 03:52:06

Thanks for a great piece of software. I have used sIBL GUI for a few weeks now and it hasn't crashed once, is intuitive to use---excellent when testing with the server option from within Blender, and saves a lot of setting up that would otherwise be manual.
Smiley

IP Logged

42below

Curious Apprentice

Reply #14 - 11/30/13 at 03:53:06

...first post couldn't contain links so here is a follow up:

I've used sIBL GUI and the blender plugin for a few weeks now under windows7 and it has performed excellently without crashing once.
I've installed Xubuntu on my main PC this week and sIBL GUI seems to be running fine after installnig as per instructions found here: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/sIBL_GUI

Here is a copy of what I needed to do:

sudo apt-get install libwxgtk2.8-0
python-qt4 already installed on my system
sudo apt-get install python-pip
#download from http://github.com/KelSolaa/sIBL_GUI #(zip icon lower right)
#unzip and enter:
cd ~/Downloads/sIBL/sIBL_GUI-master
sudo pip install sIBL_GUI

run:
me@home>:$ sIBL_GUI

Adding templates - point to sIBL_Collection folder, when told it can't find .ibl files point to apartment folder it will then find all 4 sample sets.

Thank you so much for a great piece of software!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print