Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Colours washed out with Linear workflow? and lighting confusion (Read 3000 times)
David Mattock
Ex Member

Colours washed out with Linear workflow? and lighting confusion
08/03/13 at 20:38:29

Hi, first of all great plugin thanks, I'm a complete newbie at it so bear with me. I have one problem and confused also about the lighting options

1)  I have set up colour management and a linear workflow with my scene in Maya turned on colour management and as normal set my input profile to Linear sRGB and output to sRGB for viewing and testing  I've  changed all my textures, materials etc with gamma correct nodes and its rendering as expected with no sIBL yet.

So I now want to add some nice reflections and extra lighting with sIBL.  I've tried a few different image sets from the library but now when I render it always seems washed out, like when you first activate a linear worklfow but have not yet gamma corrected everything?

I've tried turning off all my lights, and then I turned off colour management which now seems to look correctish, but I want to work in  Linear workflow.
In the export settings of sIBL GUI I've set "Activate Linear Workflow"  to True.

Ive tried setting "create lighting, create sun and create dynamic lights to "false" but it didn't help.
Any ideas ?

2)  My second question, well more of a confusion is I wondered if someone could explain what the Dynamic lights option is ? and the normal Create lighting, what lighting do these create ?, do I need them ?

The help docs don't seem to explain these or most of the settings really, and I cant find any user friendly tutorials on sIBL to Maya workflow tutorials. Smiley

many thanks in advance

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Re: Colours washed out with Linear workflow? and lighting confusion
Reply #1 - 08/30/13 at 07:59:41

Hi,

Which renderer are you using? If Mental Ray, the Template will stick a lens shader in your camera if you have the Activate Linear Workflow option set to True.

Dynamic lights are the extra lights you can have in an Ibl Set, like spots, softboxes, etc...

KS

IP Logged

David Mattock
Ex Member

Re: Colours washed out with Linear workflow? and lighting confusion
Reply #2 - 09/09/13 at 12:57:24

Hey thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in replying. When you replied I didn't get any notification and after waiting weeks for someone to help here, I stopped checking.

Yes I found this was the case, and what helped me was this video from digital tutors   http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/my_playlists.php?pid=172868

He explained it all that you have to reset the gamma settings in three places as it gets double gamma, so its working well now.

Thanks for the explanation on dynamic lights, so is it best practice to leave it set to true, so it creates these lights ?

I couldnt find any of this in the documentation ?
many thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print