Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
thumbnails size/ratio (Read 5262 times)
chuckie7413
Ex Member

thumbnails size/ratio
03/13/13 at 15:09:26

Hi,

Is it possible to have the thumbnails of the hdri's inthe library at the 2:1 ration so you can see the whole hdr in the thumbnail?

At the moment I find it awkward to get a quick full preview of the hdri's unless I view them in the inspector and load up one of the maps. With the current thumbnail square ratio, you only really get a subset preview of the hdr.

Attached is a quick mockup of what I mean.

This way you see the full hdr, you get a great idea of where the sun is places (normally the most important thing for at first) and you can see a small glimpse at how detailed the hdri is. (ie clear sky, cloudy etc)

What do you think?

Many thanks,

Richard

sIBL_GUI_thumbnail_ratio.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Re: thumbnails size/ratio
Reply #1 - 03/13/13 at 21:56:32

Hello!

Yeah it totally makes sense, one of the reason it hasn't been done is that when at the time I implemented support for the preview images, a lot of the ibl sets didn't have one. The other one is more technical, I have to do some tests but if you have a huge library, I don't really know how smooth the display of hundreds of huge thumbnails will be, I need to test that Smiley

Opened an enhancement issue: https://github.com/KelSolaar/sIBL_GUI/issues/187

Smiley

KS

IP Logged

chuckie7413
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/13/13 at 23:25:05

Hi Kel,

When you say huge thumbnails what do you mean? They can be limited in size so no bigger in file size for instance than the current ones. It is just to allow you to see the full aspect.

Cheers,

Richard

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #3 - 03/13/13 at 23:53:34

Sorry I wasn't clear, one of the way of doing it was to use the inspectors images, doing so I think would slow down the app, if i'm not using those large one we embed with the ibl set files, it means I have to generate them myself and maintain a cache somewhere, it's something I had planned a while ago, but didn't had a chance to implement unfortunately.

KS

IP Logged

chuckie7413
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/14/13 at 15:48:17

Ah ok.I see. This would mean you could bypass the issue of all the old thumbnails generated from sIBL edit and overwrite them with your generated versions.

Maybe it is work talking with the sIBL dev to see if they can change the aspect ration for the thumbnail generation for the future and then maybe just have a script that will save out the hdri's really small and replace current icon in sets.

Would be great!

Cheers,

Richard

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #5 - 04/01/13 at 08:52:25

Hi Richard!

Got something in the cooker:

Proven to be a bit tricky to implement something clean and pretty ( That doesn't lock the interface or isn't a preprocess and does make use of the current deferred loading ) but I think it will be great.

KS

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #6 - 04/06/13 at 17:35:42

Hm ... well ... I see your point.

Using the Preview images instead of the Thumbnails should, however, be an option (maybe on the bottom of the thumb browser).

Thing is, I really try to make an effort in cutting thumbs. They were meant to be "visual bookmarks", and they often resemble the area you would get in your camera background when you have a set loaded. The full panoramic doesn't actually show this too well.

So, that's why, I love the additional benefit of browsing by Previews, but I would really like to keep it an option to use the original thumbnails.

Blochi

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #7 - 04/06/13 at 19:07:04

Yeah sure shouldn't be a problem to implement, just need to find something nice, I may actually remove the middle column view and put a button in place, will see!

KS

IP Logged

chuckie7413
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/08/13 at 18:08:50

Hey Kel,

This is looking really cool!

Sorry I am not getting notifucation updates on this thread even though I have it checked in the post settings. Strange.

Anyway, this is great to see. Was just telling my colleague about this a second ago which made me come back to check on the thread Smiley

Cheers,

Rich

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print