Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Falsecolor tonemapping plugin??? (Read 2986 times)
Dschaga
Ex Member

Falsecolor tonemapping plugin???
02/27/13 at 12:18:43

Hi all,

For the wishlist:
Will there be a falsecolor tonemapper for Picturenaut in near future?

Greg Ward is offering a falsecolor and color contour output in photosphere, which is very usefull for "debugging" HDRIs. His Software is running on macs only, so i'm looking for an alternative in the windows world.
Looking "behind the range" of a HDRI is very usefull to see if a HDR, you would want to use for scene lighting, is correctly compiled or not. ..even the results in Picturenaut varies a lot if you change some settings.

At work i'm able to use HDRIPostprocessor from Integra (which is part of a highend light simulation system), but at home there is nothing i could use.

Would be nice if in one of the next versions a falscolor tonemapper would be available. Smiley

FalseColor.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

geopal
Ex Member

Re: Falsecolor tonemapping plugin???
Reply #1 - 03/20/13 at 10:00:26

I would be interested in such tool also. @Dschaga - how exactly would you use this- what will be displayed in the "wrong" picture? More even color without full spectrum? The more opposite colors the more dynamic range?

IP Logged

davidb
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/20/13 at 13:05:44

how much customisation of the colours would you like?  Is a pre cooked set acceptable?

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/23/13 at 20:08:21

@geopal
you need some (not much) experience to read such false color image , but if you know some typical  cd/m2 values for the sky, sun, fixtures, PC screens .. you can see in such images if the hdr have the correct range and the correct exposure.
Last week we found out that we are doing something wrong in Modo 601 with the HDR output, because even if picturenaut is showing a correct image and the correct EV range - with hdripostprocessor and the falsecolor display we recognized that the range was only from 0 to ~8cd/m2, where it should be about 0-300cd/m2. We looked into the hdr header and then found out that the exposure value was 0 ..instead of 1
In this case we used it, to debug an hdri - could be an good idea for lightsmith items too Wink

Another use is to get illuminance values:
1.we have an average luminance of about 200cd/m2
2.The paper of the book was orange with a diffuse reflection of about 15% = 0.15

(luminance *pi )/diffuse reflection = illuminance
(200*3.14) / 0.15 = 4186lux

@davidb
the kind of color gradient is not really important, but it's a good idea to let user set the range.

anyway .. i hope my examples makes sense to you and gives you an idea how we could benefit from this kind of reading hdr images.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print