Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
An affordable color chart (Read 5319 times)
raveled
Ex Member

An affordable color chart
01/22/13 at 16:07:02

Hi Everyone,

I hope these two items are useful to someone else.

I spent a good 60,000 plus yen gearing up for my first HDRI Panos.  That's big bucks for me as a hobbyist.

As I read about the passport color chart in the HDRI Handbook 2.0 I was shocked at the cost :-0

Fortunately I'm stubborn and cheap, and I just found this:

Pro Photography Color Chart iPhone App

https://itunes.apple.com/ke/app/pro-photography-color-chart/id320095182?mt=8

I just bought it and will use it for now, but as an amateur, I have no experience using color charts.

I'm honestly worried that the light transmitting nature of this chart might neutralize color reflection information one would get from a normal reflection based reference.

I'll use it ( I'm certain it's better than nothing ), but I'd greatly appreciate some expert thoughts on it's validity.

Thanks,
        Tim

P.S.  On a side note I also found this:

Samsung NX200 shutter release adapter.

http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_samsung

After spending about 3 days making my own,  this one is better so I ordered it  Smiley

IP Logged

Robert Harshman
Ex Member

Re: An affordable color chart
Reply #1 - 01/25/13 at 00:21:20

This iPhone app is nonsense, just 99 cent wasted. A real color chart and system is needed if you need accurate color. Most commercial photography is manipulated to client pleasing color.

Robert

IP Logged

Rork
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/25/13 at 13:35:33

There's some excellent threads on color management in this forum.
Bob Groothuis started it if I'm not mistaken.

Just search for it and some others too, you will have less issues later on if you start in the right direction Wink

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #3 - 02/02/13 at 02:46:08

Regarding the original post, as to why this Passport Color chart is so expensive - sure, part of it may be inflated by brand name. But there is also precision involved. They actually mix calibrated dies and color the whole patch with a single uniform color. That's way different than printing (where the appearance of a color is made my CMYK droplets or dots as the printers call them). Pixels on a screen are even worse, these are just visually mixed colors instead of solid patches of very controlled durable color. Professional color charts are individually tested to ensure accuracy, think there was even a sheet of paper in the package with graphs and charts and such. And just the fact that the Passport actually folds closed is huge for me, because I'm so disorganized while shooting that I would surely forget to put a normal card back into the sleeve. After 5 years it still look like new.

IP Logged

raveled
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/17/13 at 15:10:12

Thanks everyone,

I thought as much.  I actually used to work in prepress in Canada as a plate maker, so I'm familiar with that process.

Tim

IP Logged

mike mcelroy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/15/16 at 11:02:42

This http://www.digitekprinting.com/digital-color-copies may be perfect pitch for that

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print