Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alternating Exposures in Video or Exposure Bracketing in Burst Mode (Read 8861 times)
SCB
Ex Member

Alternating Exposures in Video or Exposure Bracketing in Burst Mode
12/28/12 at 02:53:32

Greetings!

I am part of a university research group trying to develop an algorithm to produce HDR video for dynamic scenes. The group has successfully produced HDR images for dynamic scenes without any artifacts. The next step is to expand our algorithm to the temporal domain and produce HDR video. To do this we would need a camera that records frames with alternating exposures. If we alternate between 4 exposures then we believe our algorithm will combine them without the artifacts that plague most state-of-the-art HDR video methods. However, finding a camera to produce alternating exposures from frame to frame is proving difficult...

Furthermore, I was wondering if it was possible to enable exposure bracketing with continuous burst. I know that with the standard Canon features there is a burst mode that at a given exposure will continue to take pictures as long as the shutter button is pressed. However, as soon as you enable exposure bracketing in this mode, the camera will stop taking pictures after the bracket is captured. Is it possible to allow the exposure bracketing to continue repeating as long as the shutter button is pressed? I am curious about this feature for the 5D Mark II or the 1D MarkIV

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Re: Alternating Exposures in Video or Exposure Bracketing in Burst Mode
Reply #1 - 01/04/13 at 00:58:39

It sounds like you are looking for a camera already capable of EDR shooting, otherwise why would it have the bracketing feature already? I've not heard of anything that does four exposures as you describe. Have you thought about a mechanical system?

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #2 - 04/09/13 at 10:04:09

Did you try and modify the video HDR capture code in Magic Lantern firmware?  The firmware alternates between two different ISO values (current gain) for each successive frame that is captured. I know that Blochi made a blog post about this.  Magic Lantern release 2011Dec22 supports HDR video for following Canon DSLR models 550D, 60D, 600D, 500D, 50D

HDR video demo
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Release_2011Dec22?file=Magic_Lantern_HDR_vide...

Magic Lantern announcement for HDR video feature
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Release_2011Dec22

Magic Lantern Vimeo forum post for post capture work flows (Helpful to think of time-lapse post processing)
https://vimeo.com/groups/magiclantern/forum/topic:250386

Also, look through posts that were made about two years ago.  If I remember correctly, there will be some additional rigs that project on to multiple camera sensors.

IP Logged

KentElton
YaBB Newbies

Curious Apprentice

Reply #3 - 09/23/14 at 12:45:26

Quote:
It sounds like you are looking for a camera already capable of EDR shooting, otherwise why would it have the bracketing feature already? It's in the zcode vip area I've not heard of anything that does four exposures as you describe. Have you thought about a mechanical system?

Hi Castillonis does Magic Lantern support the 3300D?
« Last Edit: 10/21/16 at 14:22:26 by KentElton »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print