Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with scaling model in relation to background or vis versa!!! (Read 10827 times)
whitehall
Ex Member

Help with scaling model in relation to background or vis versa!!!
10/28/12 at 01:22:44

PLEASE HELP! with scaling bakground in Maya animation

I have an animation featuring a camera with aim on a motion path. I cannot figure out how to scale background or model to get appropriate relation - ie realistic scale of model, looks ok from some views, but not all (see image).

I realize that the  sIBL_Feedback Sphere does not relate to the actual image rendered, but not sure what other settings to change -- is it a matter of constraining sphere to camera?

if you have answer please spell it out literally for me. . . made it this far, but not that proficient in Maya!
thanks!

test_002_001.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Re: Help with scaling model in relation to background or vis versa!!!
Reply #1 - 10/28/12 at 10:55:22

Hi,

Yes exactly, you would have to constrain the feedback to the camera / or scale it massively.

KS

IP Logged

whitehall
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/28/12 at 23:56:35

HI KS,
Thanks for your response. When I select camera in outliner and then sIBL_feedback it won't let me add constraint or connection. Is there a step I'm missing? do I have to graph feedback an select part of it?
It's a point constraint right?
should I select camera group or just camera or aim?
how massively would I have to scale sphere if I tried that?

Thanks

IP Logged

JoEv
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/15/13 at 20:32:36

I am having a similar problem in 3ds Max.  Is the solution the same?  Could you provide a description of how to do properly scale the map?

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #4 - 01/17/13 at 00:12:50

Sorry I missed this one!

To constrain the Feedback on the camera in Maya, you have first to unlock the Feedback translate attributes, this is done using the Windows -> General Editors -> Channel Control -> Locked ( Tab ). Then point constraint the Feedback to the camera.

For 3dsmax I can't really say because I dont have it here right now but there should definitely be a way to do the same than in Maya, if you don't manage to do it, you can still scale the Feedback, the bigger the more precise your viewport will match with the render.

KS

IP Logged

JoEv
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/07/13 at 20:05:40

I'm still having problems with this.  Are there step-by-step instructions for this in 3ds Max?

IP Logged

dawestsides
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/17/13 at 19:40:01

This is my first render using sIBL and I'm quite satisfied with the results Smiley
But I can't too figure out how to constrain the feedback to the camera inside 3ds Max , scaling the sphere doesn't work

IP Logged

dawestsides
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/20/13 at 14:32:50

Any thoughts ?

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #8 - 04/25/13 at 21:26:58

Hi!

Sorry for the delay, I'm flooded lately! Replied to your Youtube comment by the way Smiley

For the constraint: select the feeback sphere then Animation ---> Constraints ---> Position Constraint and you drop it on your camera.

KS

IP Logged

dawestsides
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/29/13 at 11:56:30

I know you're busy , that's why I kept waiting.
Thanks for the clear explanation , it works Smiley

IP Logged

Gord Evans
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/02/15 at 18:49:54

Hi,

I'm new to sIBL and HRDI backgrounds in 3ds MAX.  I'm having similar issues with the background being way too BIG!  I tried the above solution but I don't understand what it really does.  Once the camera is locked to the feedback dome the only way I can get the background to look bigger (and closer to the proper scale) is to change the focal length of my camera.  Of course if I reduce the focal length enough so that I can see my entire object, it is now so distorted because of the wide camera angle.  The dolly camera has no effect on changing the background size now because it is locked to the feedback dome.

sIBL brings my background into 3ds max perfectly.  No issues there.  I'm using an interior warehouse hdr image from HDR Maps. 

Could it be units?  My system units and display units are inches.  The model was inches in AutoCAD when I imported it.  The model is pretty tall (over 15 feet tall)..

Suggestions..  How can I get my background to be realistically sized to my model?  Even if I turn off the background environment and don't show that I expect that having an incorrectly sized reflection map is going to cause issues..  My reflections would be out of scale.

Thanks for any help,

Gord

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print