Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ND calculator & simple remote control (Read 5180 times)
Yogie
Ex Member

ND calculator & simple remote control
05/10/12 at 11:58:30

Hi,

as per my different topics I asked several things already. And now I like to give an update on my coding a ND calculator & simple remote control.

For now I only have put all the things together and didn't made anything look pretty.

current state:

- able to choose a metered TV
- able to choose a ND filter
- calculation of TV with filter
- able to trigger the release button
  - with the calculated (filter on) TV
  - as long as you push the button
  - locking the release button until you remove the lock

to do:

- if the calculated TV is below the value that can be triggered it should show the TV setting you might set with the DSLR directly to get your shoot with the ND filter
- ability to set a desired TV length to be triggered
- saving and loading settings to file
- build multilingual interface DE/EN and save preferences
- split functionality into different parts (ND part, simple remote part, timed remote part)
- finding an applications name

features I'm thinking of to implement at a later stage:

- add intervalometer functionality
- ... (anything else?)

things I don't know yet and things I'm thinking about if I need to implement these for any reason:

- double shoot insurance
- consider noise reduction work time
- mirror lockup wait
- walk away wait
- wake up shot

and finally I'm looking for an easy solution to build nice sprites (until now I didn't spend much time on this with Photoshop) and backgrounds, as well to get to know the best approach and coordination of these on the NDS.

Well what do you think? I know there are already several solutions out in the world and with Android and iOS there are also even more solutions on the way, available and ready to go, but the more time I spend with coding and learning (and I'm just a beginner!) the more I love my own solution.
« Last Edit: 05/14/12 at 09:19:27 by N/A »  

IP Logged

Yogie
Ex Member

Re: ND calculator & simple remote control
Reply #1 - 06/06/12 at 08:10:58

Here is a little update...

current state:

- able to choose a metered TV
- able to choose a ND filter
- calculation of TV with filter
- able to trigger the release button
  - with the calculated (filter on) TV
  - as long as you push the button
  - locking the release button until you remove the lock
- if the calculated TV is below the value that can be triggered in bulb mode, the best TV value is shown and recommended to use along with the DSLR own TV program
- ability to set a desired TV length to be triggered
- multilingual interface DE/EN (realtime switching)
- 3 modes ND calculator, simple remote part and intervalometer
- delayed action release
- indicator while in a wait loop
- indicator while shooting

still to do:
- saving and loading settings to file
- finding an applications name other than just ND!?

Still to consider!? Questioning (Anyone any comments!?)

- double shoot insurance
- consider noise reduction work time
- mirror lockup wait
- walk away wait
- wake up shot

Questioning And I need to find out the shortest time that can be triggered in bulb mode with the OCC cable, but I think this is more related to the DSLR in use? If so what is a common value that would fit to most DSLRs? Does anyone has a clue on it?

Questioning And I would love to know if there is a way to send out a signal for a half way pressed release button in order to let the DSLR set focus and exposure measures?

And here are screenshots to the three modes...

ND Filter mode
Simple Remote mode
Intervalometer mode

I was really hoping for more community participation and feedback to my first message about my plans...!?
Is there no need anymore or are there no users anymore that make use of the OCC cable and an NDS in the fields Questioning

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #2 - 06/06/12 at 09:34:26

hey Joerg,

that look pretty cool. Next time we went out together iŽd like to test the soft Smiley

yours Achim

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/06/12 at 19:17:16

It's exciting to see how it is developing. One situation we face with community participation is that when we introduced the OCC there were few alternatives, now the world has changed and I find myself with any number of control options. I think OCC must find a niche in supporting underappreciated cameras that don't find many options for control, and look for photography niches that are not addressed by generic controllers. The motor control possibilities are one exciting possibility, the microcontroller in the OCC is especially under utilized in our current config, driving servo motors is easy to do with our existing hardware, and other than the Gigapan is not addressed by many alternatives.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print