Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PAlib & ibnds ... yes or no? If yes which libnds version? (Read 4069 times)
Yogie
Ex Member

PAlib & ibnds ... yes or no? If yes which libnds version?
05/03/12 at 11:53:49

Hi,

I'm still struggling with codes and libraries. I know that OCC makes usage of the PAlib, but as far as I understood PAlib is an addition on top of the libnds. PAlib is discontinued in development and on the devkitPro.org where libnds is still developed they just say NO to PAlib.

So I'm a bit confused on how to proceed in programming for the OCC DIY cable. I'm not a native programmer and just started with coding.

From what I can see the PAlib (was) is a higher lever library with nice commands to get faster results. But I can imagine as libnds is still maintained, that the latest libnds releases may be incompatible with the PAlib? So do you know wich version of libnds is the most up to date version that has no compatibility problems with PAlib?

Or would it be better to simply make usage of the libnds and skip PAlib?

In the PAlib release notes I can see that it was build with the libnds 1.3.7 which is not available anymore for download. Even the links on hdrlabs.com pointing to any PAlib website are orphaned.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Re: PAlib & ibnds ... yes or no? If yes which libnds version?
Reply #1 - 05/04/12 at 00:40:17

Permalinks are inherently risky, I will investigate whether we can post the old versions for you to build from.

PaLib, was, in short, the only way to make OCC about the cameras and not get bogged down with the internals of the DS. PaLib allowed us to draw UI element's in photoshop and easily turn them into sprites to animate the sliders and numeric displays. Without PaLib you'd need to flip bits on the display with your own code, which really detracts from the goal of shooting pictures!

PaLib is not, however, a mandatory requirement to build DS code.

IP Logged

Yogie
Ex Member

Re: PAlib & libnds ... yes or no? If yes which libnds version?
Reply #2 - 05/04/12 at 11:23:22

Thanks Steve,

a version of a libnds 1.3.7 or slightly higher would be working I think!

IP Logged

Yogie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/10/12 at 11:25:54

Quote:
Permalinks are inherently risky, I will investigate whether we can post the old versions for you to build from.

PaLib, was, in short, the only way to make OCC about the cameras and not get bogged down with the internals of the DS. PaLib allowed us to draw UI element's in photoshop and easily turn them into sprites to animate the sliders and numeric displays. Without PaLib you'd need to flip bits on the display with your own code, which really detracts from the goal of shooting pictures!

PaLib is not, however, a mandatory requirement to build DS code.

Understand and beyond that I had a look at the devkitpro.org where libnds is maintained and absolutely agree. I'm a bit more the guy who want's to have a program done in a faster and easier way rather than going into the deep sea of programming.

Anyhow I already could change same source code pieces that have thrown errors in my code which are similar to those when I try to recompile OCC.

But again, I think I would need an older libnds that is still compatible with the PAlib unfortunately on devkitpro.org they do not offer these old versions.

IP Logged

Yogie
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/06/12 at 07:34:49

I don't know if PAlib has the bad reputation because of this or maybe this is just one circumstance to it...

Even I found a PA command to reset the text memory and clear the text screen, steadily writing new text causes my NDS to crash and I'm just trying to update a 4 digits text counter! I thought writing text again and again to the same position would not harm or increase memory!?

And I find it hard to find help on programming an NDS with PAlib (ok, it seems even harder to learn the libnds stuff and write code), when it comes to placing an background image PAlib is so easy to use, although the routines I (and Steve) used are deprecated and there is no tutorial nor documentation made about the new way how to place backgrounds and the GFX program to convert an image for an NDS seems not to support creating backgrounds for the new (planned) method and we will never get to know this because PAlib is discontinued. Luckily the PA_EasyBGLoad command and others are only marked as deprecated and still do their work. So I think the PAlib and libnds I have still work together anyhow...

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/12/12 at 22:45:28

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print