Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
sIBL Compatible Renderers (Read 6788 times)
Argyll

Curious Apprentice

sIBL Compatible Renderers
02/18/12 at 03:55:04

I'm new to sIBL and am wondering what are the renderers that are compatible with this format? I use mental ray with 3ds max, and have downloaded the GUI (working fine) and the GUI script for 3ds max. From what I see, Vray is what's expected. Anyway, with the GUI closed I was under the impression that when I ran the script inside 3ds max, the GUI would be activated, but nothing happens. I've also found that the help link on the GUI isn't working and the file doesn't seem to be on the server, or so the error message tells me. I'm a bit bemused and would appreciate some guidance - the GUI video tutorial it too blurry and fast to make out what's going on and suffers badly from a lack of audio - English commentary no matter how bad always helps. Undecided

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Re: sIBL Compatible Renderers
Reply #1 - 02/18/12 at 09:35:31

Hey Argyll,

What version are you using?

KS

IP Logged

Argyll

Curious Apprentice

Reply #2 - 02/18/12 at 10:01:30

Downloaded the latest GUI today and using 3ds max 2012.

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #3 - 02/18/12 at 10:18:33

Ok Smiley Can you tell me which help link is not working? sIBL_GUI one? 3dsmax Helper Script one?

KS

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #4 - 02/18/12 at 11:37:44

I fixed the help link, the redirect page on HDRLabs server has been oddly rollbacked to a previous version.

KS

IP Logged

Argyll

Curious Apprentice

Reply #5 - 02/18/12 at 12:24:09

The sIBL_GUI link is now working fine. I can't help you with the max script as is doesn't seem to do anything when I run it.

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #6 - 02/18/12 at 13:16:16

What do you mean by running it?

KS

IP Logged

Argyll

Curious Apprentice

Reply #7 - 02/18/12 at 23:24:10

I assume that the max script starts (is run) it enables/starts communication with sIBL_GUI otherwise how do they don't know about each other. I have 3 versions of 3ds max on this computer and don't know if sIBL_GUI is smart enough to pick the one I'm using. You seem to be interested in questions that don't really bother me and all I want to know is how to run this stuff so that it works; I would have thought that when somebody 'runs' a script what they are doing is pretty obvious and don't see how is could mean anything other than executing it as that's what we have to do with scripts in 3ds max in order to get them to work.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #8 - 02/18/12 at 23:59:59

From what I understand the scripting language inside MAX keeps evolving, along with the program. That is why there are different script templates for different versions of MAX.

Kel can probably tell you more specifics, but you should match the exporter template to the MAX version you're sending the script to.

@kel: I don't really know how the server page could get rolled back, but I noticed a server blackout a few days ago. Checked with the host. They had an emergency with spambots and it may be possible that they pulled something up from a backup.

IP Logged

Argyll

Curious Apprentice

Reply #9 - 02/19/12 at 00:43:22

The penny finally dropped before I came back and read your reply - you pick the lighting setup you want and export it to your application using sIBL_GUI. This isn't at all clear from the online information that looks a little out of date as there are buttons on the right side of the GUI that are not there in V4; well not in the Windows version anyway. This led to a bit of frustration on my part but once I'd figured out that a max script had been created it was just a matter of running it for the application I'm using (3ds max). I'm currently beta testing the next release of 3ds max and can tell you that so far the sIBL_GUI generated script is working fine with it. I'm new to sIBL though I have been using IBL with 3ds max for a number of years. The GUI certainly speeds up the process and not having to do all that setup stuff is great and all that's required is to adjust the unitless value inside 3ds max in order to 'blend' the Matte Shadow plane with the background. If I could put forward a suggestion it's that the script not be buried so deeply and perhaps an option to let the user decide where it should go would be preferable.

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #10 - 02/19/12 at 10:47:46

Christian: I quickly checked and it seems to me that everything is ok, very weird, anyway it's working now Smiley

Argyll: The idea is that you install 3dsmax Helper Script, register Max as an OLE Server using that Helper Script. From there you should be able to send the Loader Script directly to 3dsmax without having to manually load it. If you launch multiple instances, I don't remember what's happening, but I think the latest one takes over the opened ones, need to be checked though ( Which is the invert of Maya / XSI sockets ). In that case, if you have filled the Loader Script location in the Helper Script, you should be able to trigger the Loader Script execution manually with ease from within other 3dsmax instances.

KS

IP Logged

Argyll

Curious Apprentice

Reply #11 - 02/19/12 at 12:42:43

Sure I understand what's supposed to happen, but what's not fully explained is where the Helper script can be found and how max becomes the registered target software, which is probably kids stuff for the guys who wrote the software and who think it's too simple to bother telling people about. It would be nice to know where the Helper script is located on this site as the information and various programs that run and manage sIBL appear to be quite fragmented on the site in that they don't all live in the one location, but maybe I expect too much.  Undecided

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #12 - 02/19/12 at 14:42:22

Hey Argyll,

At the risk of sounding annoying, it's not a matter of "not bothering telling stuff" or "thinking the stuff is easy", or whatever.

It's a matter of time, you have to consider the fact that the guys on HDRLabs ( Myself included ) are doing pretty much everything on their free time. I spent nearly 7 continuous months rewriting sIBL_GUI and it's dependencies last year and this after a day of work and same the week ends. If I had to be paid for that I would have had quite a lot of money, but in fact it's free for everybody, free as you can grab the software, modify it, do whatever you want with it.

Christian and I do know that the website could be enhanced to make everything easier on an user perspective, I know that we should have proper tutorials and screencasts to support our tools.

The fact is that we are a small group of people, trying to do the best in a very short time window. We all have a family life, some have kids ( That got me interrupted while writing this post Smiley ).

Please bare with us Smiley

Thomas

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #13 - 02/19/12 at 19:30:26

Hi Argyll,

Well, the trouble is that it is a complex system. But once it is set up, it's smooth sailing...

I just recently rebuild the download page, and I thought I made the download links to the helper scripts very clear and visible.

But you're right, an easy step by step installation manual would be a good idea. We actually had a person working on it, but then she got distracted by her day job (happens all the time). The documentation CMS is already in place, so if you would like to volunteer just say the word...

helper.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #14 - 02/19/12 at 19:33:56

This Topic was moved here from General Talk by Blochi.

IP Logged

Argyll

Curious Apprentice

Reply #15 - 02/19/12 at 22:06:06

@ Thomas
I'm sure there is not a person using this site who doesn't appreciate the effort that's been put into the site not least myself. sIBL_GUI is an excellent tool, but what I was trying to point out was that there is a degree of fragmentation in the bits and pieces that support it and make it easy for newcomers to install and use properly/easily. For example, it's taken me a few days to find sIBLEdit, which seems indispensable to the entire process. Please don't think that your efforts are not appreciated for believe me they certainly are.

IP Logged

Argyll

Curious Apprentice

Reply #16 - 02/19/12 at 22:09:43

@ Blochi
Mate I'd be happy to help in any way I can, though with my limited experience (3ds max) I'm not sure what I can offer, but anything you want to throw my way will be looked at. Thanks for the heads-up on the Helper script.

IP Logged

Argyll

Curious Apprentice

Reply #17 - 02/19/12 at 22:24:23

@ Blochi Thanks for the pointer to the Helper script, but when I click on the link and get a list of software, it says 'No Longer Supported - Use sIBL_GUI Instead!' under both 3ds max and Maya, which is very confusing. I visited this page a couple of days ago and didn't download because of this message. The downloaded zip file contains a script called sIBL_loader_95.ms. Sad

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #18 - 02/19/12 at 22:52:34

Errr ... I see.

The links I had circled in the screenshot. These are the Helper Scripts.

What you're referring to are *Loader* scripts. It's an entirely different thing. Older.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #19 - 02/19/12 at 22:55:00

Quite frankly, I don't see where you can possibly find a mislabeled link. You ask for more documentation, but it seems like you're not even reading the one that is there. How could it be more clear than:

"Works until MAX 2008, can setup scanline, mental ray, and older VRay versions. Support for this script has faded out. Use sIBL-GUI instead for excellent MAX support."

IP Logged

Argyll

Curious Apprentice

Reply #20 - 02/19/12 at 23:14:37

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged

Argyll

Curious Apprentice

Reply #21 - 02/19/12 at 23:36:59

This contains the information I was after.
I found it on a link from the help file: github.com/KelSolaar/sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax.

- sIBL_GUI For 3dsMax - Helper Script -

- Installation -
Extract and copy the "sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax.ms" and "sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax_OLE_Command.ms" maxscripts to your "3dsmax/Scripts/Startup" folder.
The "sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax_OLE_Command.ms" will automatically register the sIBL_GUI OLE command.

- Usage -
The Helper Script is a 3dsMax Utility available by typing "openUtility sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax" in the MAXScript Mini-Listener or directly through the Utilities Tab -> MAXScript -> Utilities -> sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax.
If you want to use the Remote Connection capabilities of sIBL_GUI you need to register ( only once ) the OLE server using the "Register OLE Server" utility button ( 3dsmax need to be run as an administrator to access Windows Registry ).
Using the "Send To software" button in sIBL_GUI should trigger 3dsMax Loader Script execution.

IP Logged

Argyll

Curious Apprentice

Reply #22 - 02/20/12 at 01:09:25

Everything is now up and working. I have to say this is the toughest install I've ever had with any 3ds script or app. The need to be using 3ds max as the administrator is a bit of a catch for young players. The 'sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax' isn't showing up in the utilities folder of 3ds max and you need to drop the 'openUtility sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax' line into the mini listener for the interface to show in the command panel. Other than that it's all working very well. It's never fun being a pain in the ass, especially when you guys are providing so much work free of charge, but I think a full explanation of how all of the components work together is a valuable resource. Still happy to help in any way I can - just drop me an email.  Smiley
After a system restart the options appear in the utilities panel.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print