Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
are faster than 1/20 shutter speeds possible? (Read 1879 times)
flimshaw
Ex Member

are faster than 1/20 shutter speeds possible?
02/01/12 at 00:06:52

Hi there.  Great work on this, it looks so cool.  I'm a little confused about the shutter speed limitation of 1/20 of a second.  Is this only for the HDR script, or is it a limitation of the hardware?  I would like to trigger a camera at regular intervals in Tv mode, letting the camera automatically select the aperture, and I'd like to have a shutter speed of at least 1/125 to freeze moving targets.  Does this only work in bulb mode, or is Tv possible?

Thanks, and forgive me if this has been answered a hundred times.  I used the search tool, but when searching for "shutter" returned nothing, I figured it was probably busted.

-c

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Re: are faster than 1/20 shutter speeds possible?
Reply #1 - 02/03/12 at 08:51:19

Quote:
I'm a little confused about the shutter speed limitation of 1/20 of a second.  Is this only for the HDR script, or is it a limitation of the hardware?  I would like to trigger a camera at regular intervals in Tv mode, letting the camera automatically select the aperture, and I'd like to have a shutter speed of at least 1/125 to freeze moving targets.  Does this only work in bulb mode, or is Tv possible?

I don't think we'll get faster than 1/20 with the DS.The shutter speeds below 1/20 are not encouraged because the results below that speed become unpredictable, depending on the camera. The DS and the OCC Hardware are able to support much faster speed if adapted in the bracket tool, but the cameras won´t support that in bulb mode. On a 5D, for example, two or more shots of the same speed below 1/20 might come out as two different exposures (but often one of them is still useful in assembling an HDR.). On the 5D2, it seems below a certain timing all of the variously timed shots seem to expose identically,  which means Canon may have imposed a minimum bulb shot speed in the new firmware. You'll see that the latest software allows you to go into the undisplayed realm of shots below 1/20th, use the shortest shot control to see where you are starting and try it with your camera, your mileage may vary. Be sure to enable mirror lockup because it allows for finer timing.

The occ only works with the bulb mode because the timing is controlled by the DS and the occ. If the Mode "TV" allows controlling of the timing it will work. If the timing is presset by the camera using that mode it will not work.

Please remember that everything has to be set up manual ...no autofocus ...

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Re: are faster than 1/20 shutter speeds possible?
Reply #2 - 02/04/12 at 17:29:31

The occ only cares about bulb mode when bracketing. You can set the camera on any shooting mode for time-lapse, etc. Obviously that contradicts what Achim said, I think there might be some confusion with translation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print