Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lightwave Loader v2.4, Beta build 182 (Read 23004 times)
Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Lightwave Loader v2.4, Beta build 182
09/19/11 at 21:57:59

Hello everybody,

The new Lightwave loader has so many new features that it's quite possible not everything works perfectly yet. Please help out with reporting all bugs and issues in this thread.

New in Version 2.4:
-------------------
- faster interface redraw
- improved stability
- interface matches LW10 color styles
- new "Inspector" tab with previews and HDR histograms
- 3 zoom levels for thumbnails in "Browser" view
- redesigned Map view, with regional filter
- "Surprise Me" to immediately setup a random sIBL set
- full Mac compatible, including version check
- manage multiple collections
- custom warning requesters

Note: It now saves a config file in the same place where
      your regular LW configs are, containing paths to all
      installed sIBL collections.

Minimum requirement is LW9.6, but it looks best on LW10 and up. On the Mac it needs LW10.1 to function properly.

Download Build 182 here

Cheers,
Blochi

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Re: Lightwave Loader v2.4, Beta build 182
Reply #1 - 09/19/11 at 22:52:58

Congratulations for the release Christian! Flood us with screengrabs please Smiley

Thomas

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #2 - 09/20/11 at 00:53:14

Alright, why not. Explains some of the new features. At least, how they are supposed to work.

The maps tab has been revised just a little bit. The continent selector has moved up. Since the locations tend to cluster in specific areas, I made it so the rollover preview shows several thumbnails from that area.

The Browser tab is also more useful with larger collections, because thumbnails can be shown at 3 sizes.

LScript doesn't really allow me to freely scale images, so I had to use pre-calculated image sizes. But it turns out that the controlled modes make it easier to adjust the display for optimum visibility - note how smaller thumb sizes remove the titles and put them in the help line below:

Then there is the new Inspector tab. For this to work correctly you may need to re-download sets from the archive. Then it will show you the Preview.

Note how some relevant information is also shown below the image. You can browse through the library in this mode, with the Pre/Next buttons, or just the arrows on the edges.

You can also look at the reflection image (I.e., when there is no preview available, or you are specifically looking for good reflections).

And you can also look at the ENV lighting image. This mode also calculates an HDR histogram, that is properly compensated for the spherical distortion. Notice that 1.0 (white) is in the middle, so anything that is beyond that will actually shine a lot of light into your scene. The histogram actually looks very cool in action, because the it grows like sand piles as it is calculated.

Also, this version already detects plate images that may be embedded in a sIBL set. Although it doesn't use them for setup yet (hey, its beta).

The setup options tab only had some cosmetic changes to keep up with the new dark color scheme of LW 10.

But a lot of innovation is in the Prefs tab. Here you have now a list of installed sIBL-Collections. This list is just a plain text file, located in the same place like your regular lightwave configs. When you hover over the list, you can see the location in the help bar.

This should make it much easier to fix a corrupted installation, because you can just edit or delete that text file yourself.

But the safer way is to use the built-in buttons to manage this list, because it will actually bring up a new importer window and validate the path you give it.

All the collections installed in this list will show up in the main Collections dropdown (that is visible on every tab). Only what you have selected there will actually be scanned and loaded when you start the plugin - so this is a great way to work faster on a project. Or you can select "Show All" to scan all collections on start (takes longer).

So yeah, that's about it.
Biggest improvement, however, is that it is now fully Mac-compatible and there should be a very noticeable speed increase when browsing through the library.

As beta tester, please make sure to report every single issue. And keep your Auto-Update set to Daily, just so you won't miss a new build. The update splash screen also has a link back to this forum thread, so do not hesitate to stick your head in and say Hi.

Oh, and my personal favorite is the "Surprise Me" button. Wink It will use all your current Setup options, but will randomly select one of the sets and build the setup right away. Was a silly idea at first, but it actually works great for just having a quick look at a character you're modeling.

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #3 - 09/21/11 at 08:36:54

That's a major overhaul Smiley Very nice! The histogram is really cool btw!

Thomas

IP Logged

gebazzz
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/24/11 at 16:12:46

Hi,
with both this beta version and the official version 2.2, I'm gettin a "Line 2260, illegal data type used for array index" error while importing my sIBL collection. The script stops and the procedure never ends.

What can I do?

Edit: sorry, the "Line 2260" was v2.2, with this new v2.4 is the "Line 2649".

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #5 - 10/24/11 at 17:18:31

Ah, finally - an excellent bug report.

It stumbles over one of the LightSmith sets. Technically, it should scan it just fine, but since the Lightsmith setup is not done yet these sets won't really be of any help anyway. I recommend taking them out of your collection for now.

Blochi

IP Logged

rsfd
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/27/11 at 16:10:28

(just a repetition of my NT-forums post, to add this info here)

for OSX users:
build 182 already seems to do the trick in LW10.1!
loads and works without issues here.

works in LW9.6
(when old plugin is removed together with the LS-GN Prefs file).

does not work in 9.6.1, but set-up in 9.6 and loading in 9.6.1 works fine.
(this will remain a permanent issue with no chance for solution btw).

Tested on simple scenes atm, on PPC-G5 and MacPro running 10.5.8 and 10.6.8.
Great update! Thanks a lot, Blochi.

IP Logged

gebazzz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/02/11 at 10:30:33

Blochi wrote on 10/24/11 at 17:18:31:
Ah, finally - an excellent bug report.

It stumbles over one of the LightSmith sets. Technically, it should scan it just fine, but since the Lightsmith setup is not done yet these sets won't really be of any help anyway. I recommend taking them out of your collection for now.

Thank you Blochi, removing LightSmits sets works fine.
Nice beta version!

IP Logged

Lewis

User #777

Croatia
Reply #8 - 11/04/11 at 18:49:08

Excellent update Blochi, works fine here.

Thanks

--&&Lewis&&www.lewis.tomsoft.hr&&Skype - lewis3d&&ICQ - 7128177
WWW 7128177  
IP Logged

Matt

Curious Apprentice

Leamington Spa, UK
Reply #9 - 01/31/12 at 03:53:10

I'm so glad you're maintaining this for LightWave Blochi!

However there seems to be an issue with it working in LightWave 11.

I got a this error when trying to import one of the sets I had:

"Line 498, unsupported argument 2 type to store()"

Also, if I click the "Check Now!" button on the Prefs tab, after I close the requester window that comes up, sIBL shows the map, even though it's still on the Prefs tab.

Matt

IP Logged

Matt

Curious Apprentice

Leamington Spa, UK
Reply #10 - 01/31/12 at 03:57:00

Aha!  This was on the first run of the new version (I had to point it to the folder where my sIBL sets were).

Second time it worked fine - phew!

BTW: Might want to update it use the new Unified Sampling AA settings.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #11 - 01/31/12 at 04:58:05

Yo Matt!

Got a bit swept away with other things, and the Unified AA came too fast for me. What's with the Line 498 error I have no idea, but the Requester refresh is a known bug that I can't really get a hold of.

It will be a while before I get to do another update. I know that it sort of sits there in an unfinished Beta-state, several new features are only half-implemented or disabled (like LightSmith sets and Plates). Just pushed this build out here, to see if people consider it stable, and it turns out it doesn't crash. Which is a miracle in itself. Especially the fancy histogram generator.

But then I got pulled away to do something completely different... I'm sure you know how that is.

Sorry again.

But I really have to focus on my book now. Otherwise two years of writing will be wasted, because it gets old before anybody ever read it.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #12 - 01/31/12 at 05:04:10

PS: Actually, just looked up what 498 is. Probably won't happen again, it was something trying to save the last state of the version check, which didn't happen yet.

IP Logged

Matt

Curious Apprentice

Leamington Spa, UK
Reply #13 - 02/12/12 at 02:56:10

Yeah I know how you feel Blochi!

I would imagine the code that draws the image needs to quickly check which tab is active before drawing.

That's how I would do it anyway!

If you never need any help, let me know, would be glad to.

Cheers
Matt

IP Logged

gokuu
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 07/07/12 at 13:15:07

How do I load this in Lightwave.

New guy to this here.

Thanks

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2