Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Picturenaut 3.2 Beta (32 and 64 bit) (Read 23465 times)
Marc

Curious Apprentice

Hamburg
Picturenaut 3.2 Beta (32 and 64 bit)
09/01/11 at 12:21:09

Dear community,

after a long time, I will now present a new Picturenaut version for a beta test.

The new features are:

- HDR HTML filter (based on Rafal Mantiuk's pfsouthdrhtml)
- Rotation dialog (any angle) with auto crop
- Alpha channel support (on/off CTRL+4)
- Latest DCRAW version
- 64 bit support
- PNG file format
- Save dialogs for JPEG and EXR file formats
- Merge HDR dialog will open on file dropping

In essence, the changes for the end user are not huge, but the new version has a completely different core than the version 3.0. The new core is mainly focused on portability and has an improved scalability for CPUs with multiple cores. Moreover now almost any operation can be aborted (even UNDO and REDO).

Any support from you is welcome. Software bugs can be posted in this thread.

Download:

Picturenaut 3.2 Beta 32 Bit Windows ZIP archive
Picturenaut 3.2 Beta 32 Bit Windows MSI installer
Picturenaut 3.2 Beta 64 Bit Windows ZIP archive
Picturenaut 3.2 Beta 64 Bit Windows MSI installer

Regards
Marc
« Last Edit: 12/07/11 at 23:15:37 by Marc »  
IP Logged

Kel Solaar
God Member

Curious Apprentice

Re: Picturenaut 3.2 Beta (32 and 64 bit)
Reply #1 - 09/02/11 at 08:43:13

Congratulations for the release Marc! Looks neat Smiley

KS

IP Logged

jasonhuang1115

Curious Apprentice

Reply #2 - 09/02/11 at 14:50:49

Congratulations!!! Marc. Thank you for keeping up the development for picturenaut.  Smiley

IP Logged

Slokky

I love HDR

Reply #3 - 09/03/11 at 02:50:56

works real fine! thanks Marc

IP Logged

HDR_CO
YaBB Newbies

I love HDR

Reply #4 - 09/13/11 at 17:51:34

I notice that pptmo.exe and hdri2ldri.exe and pptmo.exe that are mentioned in the faq are not in the latest download or the beta. Is there still a way to script the creation of a tone-mapped image?
Thanks!

IP Logged

Marc

Curious Apprentice

Hamburg
Reply #5 - 09/29/11 at 13:30:24

This is a beta. All other tools will be in the release version.

IP Logged

brainspoon

Curious Apprentice

Reply #6 - 09/29/11 at 18:17:07

Thanks for the new release. Will it ever be possible to drag images onto the hdr generation input list?

IP Logged

Olli
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 10/03/11 at 21:58:11

Hello Marc,

Just tested several free HDR programs, and I just wanted to say "thank you", because yours is by far the best one I found- fast, automatic, stable.

Keep on going
Olli

IP Logged

Claudio
YaBB Newbies

Curious Apprentice

Reply #8 - 11/15/11 at 22:56:09

Hi, Marc!
Thanks for the good prog.
Unfortunately I receive an error on attempting to generate HDR image from multiple Canon 60d CR2 photographs. It says "format message resource error"

IP Logged

Marc

Curious Apprentice

Hamburg
Reply #9 - 11/16/11 at 15:48:26

@Claudio, which version do you use? The ZIP file or the MSI installer and do you use the 32 or 64 bit version?

Can you open a raw image from your Canon 60d with Picturenaut?

IP Logged

Claudio
YaBB Newbies

Curious Apprentice

Reply #10 - 11/20/11 at 19:28:44

Marc, both ZIP and MSI 64 bit gave that "format message resource error" Cry

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #11 - 11/20/11 at 19:57:37

Seriously?

I just uploaded new versions to the main page
Can you please try these and see if they work better?

@HDR_CO: the new release version also includes pptmo.exe again.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #12 - 11/20/11 at 20:52:51

PS:
Here is a screenshot of an OpenEXR with Alpha channel in the new Picturenaut. This is very useful for VFX work and panorama stitching. Very unique ability is, that the Alpha channel will be preserved during tonemapping and subsequently saved in TGA or PNG file.

pnaut-alpha.jpg (144 KB | )
pnaut-alpha.jpg
IP Logged

Marc

Curious Apprentice

Hamburg
Reply #13 - 11/21/11 at 19:30:20

Claudio, is it possible to send us the pictures from your 60d? You can send me pictures, which contain only something trivial. However, it should already be a bracketing. Three images would suffice. You would help us so much. You can send the images to marc@hdri-handbook.com

Thanks in advance.

Marc

IP Logged

majaeki
YaBB Newbies

Curious Apprentice

Reply #14 - 01/02/12 at 09:46:05

Hi,
I also have problems wiht files from Canon 60 D. I have win 7 64 bit home premium. I created 16 bit tif files from raw files using Rawtherapee. When creating hdr files with Picturenaut 3.2 (loaded on 1.1.2012) I get message "MHHDRI was terminated with errors. See log message - 1073741819". Where do I find the log message?
When I open anyone of the tif files in Picturenaut I can see only grey noise.
Photomatix did not have any problems in creating hdr file. HDR Expose seemd to have some problems also and was not able to create hdr file.
Can you help?

IP Logged

CaliforniaRed

Curious Apprentice

Reply #15 - 03/14/12 at 22:08:36

Hi everyone, I'm new here, so pleased to meet you ;]

First I would like to congratulate you on a most excellent program. I was searching for a tonemapping program for Linux for quite some time. Everything I tried either had a cumbersome interface, poor quality, or didn't work in Linux. Photomatix, the most famous of these programs - I even happen to have a license -  but I can't get it to run through wine and using it in a virtual machine is not much different to trying to bake cookies with a candle. There is Luminance HDR, and it has made great progress recently, but it still isn't quite there - cumbersome to use, and still can't get the desired effect. There is also enfuse, a most excellent program, but it produces only very life-like results, and although I dislike what is known as the "HDR-look" I do sometimes need to add a little 'magic' to my photos. Then I tried Picturenaut.

It runs in wine. This is great, and I commend you for going out of your way to make it work as such (I saw you wrote in this forum that you kept wine in mind). Perhaps in the future you might even port the code into a form more cross-platform [C++ and QT?], but even this is great.

It's fast. I tonemapped a 15000 x 7500 panorama through wine in seconds, if not just a second.

It's stable. I haven't crashed it yet. Used only the latest version, the one from your first post in this thread - revision 1690.

Thank you!

Now, two questions.

Seems that this forum uses the American MM-DD-YY notation. That makes the latest version over 6 months old, and it's a beta. Have you any idea when an update will be ready?

Picturenaut seems to only have the bilateral method, yet I read in a few places - including the features page - that it supports four tonemapping algorithms:
Adaptive Logarithmic (ala Drago)
Photoreceptor Physiology (ala Reinhard)
Bilateral (Local TMO)
Exposure (simple snapshot)
Why can I only see one? http://i.imgur.com/rFwj8.jpg

Best regards!

ps. almost forgot. If I recall correctly, I also read and/or saw on a screenshot that one can drag the black and white point in the histogram in the screenshot, but again my Picturenaut seems to be lacking the controls. Has this been dropped, or not yet re-implemented in 3.2?

IP Logged

CaliforniaRed

Curious Apprentice

Reply #16 - 03/14/12 at 22:11:17

majaeki have you tried both compressed and uncompressed TIFF files from RT?

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #17 - 03/14/12 at 22:27:57

Actually, that is the release version, and it's also linked on the main download page. Was kind of the fault of the webmaster (me) to not host a release party.

And Marc got carried away implementing new tonemapping features.

I don't really know why it only shows the Bilateral filter. Shouldn't. But the histogram knobs you have circled in the screenshot are disabled when "Auto Lum." is active. Disable that checkbox and you can move white and black point yourself.

IP Logged

CaliforniaRed

Curious Apprentice

Reply #18 - 03/14/12 at 23:25:26

I'm using wine-1.4 (32bit) on a 64 bit Gentoo.

Which versions of the wine windows components are recommended, and what are they? Are there any recommended versions of these components?
If so, it would be great if you listed them in the downloads page, in a "Running Picturenaut in Linux through Wine" section. People can very easily install these components using the winetricks script.

For example this page lists an "_MSC_VER >= 1200" dependency, what is MSC?
« Last Edit: 03/15/12 at 00:37:56 by CaliforniaRed »  

IP Logged

Kel Solaar
God Member

Curious Apprentice

Reply #19 - 03/15/12 at 01:14:03

I suspect it's some kind of dependency on Visual Studio, like the redistributable binaries you may need to execute the program, that kind of stuff essentially: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5555

KS

IP Logged

CaliforniaRed

Curious Apprentice

Reply #20 - 03/15/12 at 01:31:17

Yes, but "some kind of" is not helpful, I (we) need to know which ones specifically, and which version, otherwise things go wrong, such as is the case of my Picturenaut showing only "Bilateral".

If any wine users read this, and you do see all the tonemapping operators in 3.2, please tell us what versions of wine and relevant packages/components you're using.

IP Logged

Kel Solaar
God Member

Curious Apprentice

Reply #21 - 03/15/12 at 02:30:56

Hey, at the risk of sounding annoying, I'm not Picturenaut developper, the only thing I can do is pointing you on a way regarding the information you provided.

In fact if you googled one minute more than what I did you would have find that _MSC_VER is Visual Studio C++ Compiler version ( http://stackoverflow.com/a/70630/931625 ) and that the version needs to be at least 6.0. I don't really understand why you would need Visual Studio / Microsoft C++ compiler, the page you are referring to on HDRLabs is the SDK, are you planning to compile some stuff?

KS

IP Logged

CaliforniaRed

Curious Apprentice

Reply #22 - 03/15/12 at 20:46:49

Hi Kel

I did google and I did grep winetricks for MSC, but many packages came up and I didn't know which was relevant. As you wrote, turns out I don't need it as I don't intend to write any plugins.

I will try out various versions of Windows components available through winetricks today and hopefully find the right one with which all the tonemapping algos show up. I'm just assuming that Picturenaut probes a dir for plugins (DLL?) and then dynamically builds that drop-down list with the ones it finds. It would follow that some don't show up because they were compiled with an unmatched dependency on my system. Would be nice if an error was thrown up, but I didn't see one. Of course I might be completely wrong about the cause, but no one yet suggested anything else I could try :]

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #23 - 03/15/12 at 21:34:07

Well, what you could do is check the installation dir. It's possible that the installer didn't copy all the files where they belong, or it didn't have write permission...

Attached is a screenshot of the different tonemapping plugins. Each one is a DLL, and Picturenaut scans them from the /plug-ins/tonemap directory.

See, the thing that puzzles me is that Bilateral is just a DLL in that same folder, so apparently it can find that.

You don't actually need to use the installer. You can also go to the pan page www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/ , scroll down to the Download Repository, and grab the ZIP file from the Latest folder. When this is unzipped (with subdirectories kept intact) it should be fine. The installer is really just a convenience thing, because we had so many people ask how to unzip the archive. It actually is all self-contained and even runs just fine from a memory stick or something.

IP Logged

CaliforniaRed

Curious Apprentice

Reply #24 - 03/16/12 at 00:20:29

Opened a PEF raw file, set color mode to 32 bits, clicked on the tonemap button, and could see only the bilateral method.

I tried both the msi and the zip, build 1690. Started with a clean wine prefix. Unzipped Picturenaut, ran it, could only see bilateral. Installed some Windows components such as vcrun6, msvcirt, mfc42, riched20 or 30, vb6run etc, re-ran Picturenaut, still only bilateral.

ll Program\ Files/picturenaut/plug-ins/tonemap/
total 1.1M
drwxr-xr-x 2 bob bob 4.0K 2012-03-15 22:59:12 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 bob bob 4.0K 2012-03-15 22:59:12 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 bob bob 195K 2011-12-07 23:57:08 bilateral.dll
-rw-r--r-- 1 bob bob 175K 2011-12-07 23:57:08 exptmo.dll
-rw-r--r-- 1 bob bob 180K 2011-12-07 23:57:08 logmap.dll
-rw-r--r-- 1 bob bob 181K 2011-12-07 23:57:08 pptmo.dll
-rw-r--r-- 1 bob bob 346K 2011-12-07 23:57:08 tonemap.dll

Here is the output from the console. After doing each action I described what it is that I did, so everything until the caret symbol appeared when I did what the text next to the caret describes.
http://paste2.org/p/1941689

IP Logged

CaliforniaRed

Curious Apprentice

Reply #25 - 03/18/12 at 13:50:24

I downloaded 3.0.1524 from here:
http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/downloads/index.php?dir=VersionArchive%2F3_0_...

It shows me three tonemappers:
http://i.imgur.com/vxDfk.png

I downloaded 3.2.1690 from the same place as above, and it still shows me only bilateral.

Tree comparison:
http://i.imgur.com/GglyU.png

IP Logged

Marc

Curious Apprentice

Hamburg
Reply #26 - 03/24/12 at 09:42:36

Hi, I'm looking at this problem. Give me a little more time. I can see all tone mappers except the bilateral and the exposure tone-mapper. In the past I once had problems with menus, because WINE does not fully support some APIs. I hope I can fix this issue as quickly as possible.

IP Logged

Marc

Curious Apprentice

Hamburg
Reply #27 - 03/28/12 at 11:52:50

Hi all,

I fixed the bug. It was my mistake. I forgot something to initialize under the WINE environment. Sorry for that. You can find the latest versions on the Picturenaut download page.

Regards
Marc

IP Logged

CaliforniaRed

Curious Apprentice

Reply #28 - 04/06/12 at 21:31:31

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner, though I did immediately read your reply I couldn't respond. I should be able to test this on Sunday, thank you!

IP Logged

CaliforniaRed

Curious Apprentice

Reply #29 - 04/06/12 at 22:37:46

Tested it now, works great!

IP Logged

Chris Lord
YaBB Newbies

Curious Apprentice

Reply #30 - 12/27/12 at 22:04:54

Just can't get this program to work. It generates screwed up images with black strips about 1/3 across down the left side and the rest of the image created with horizontal narrow strips across. See the attached image. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. No issues with other progs. Lightroom, Photoshop, Photomatix, etc all work fine. Thought I'd give this a try but so far it's kind of useless. Any advice? Cheers. Angry

test_003.jpg (5468 KB | )
test_003.jpg

IP Logged

raveled

Curious Apprentice

how do I install the filters??
Reply #31 - 02/15/13 at 16:29:25

I downloaded and installed Picturenaut with the windows installer, then followed the plugin instructions, which refer to a folder in Picturenaut that isn"t on my system, in fact there are no folders , just the application whic starts, but I can't find ant way to access the folder and nothing new appears in my filter in Picturenaut, what do i need to do different??

Tim

IP Logged

raveled

Curious Apprentice

Reply #32 - 02/15/13 at 18:01:29

I stumbled it out!!  Somehow it works now, I honestly couldn't tell you how nor why, but I won't look this gift horse in the mouth.

Tim

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print