Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Focus Stacking (Read 19651 times)
Arty
Ex Member

Promote Control Focus Stacking
07/21/11 at 01:04:13

Guys, hot off the bakery... I can't believe my eyes. Promote Control can now do Focus Stacking. Yes, limited cameras etc, but it's a start:

http://picasaweb.google.com/promotesystems/20110720FocusStackingOnPromoteControl

Here's two pics, first one is one of the series shot with a 5DM2 50mm @F1.8, the second one is a result of 7 exposures done in full auto using Promote Control.

I'm still working on it, but I need a few questions answered now:

1. How many of yall focus stackers are on Canon vs Nikon? I know some cameras from both are technically capable of focus stacking.

2. Can you tolerate tuning focus stacking on camera LCD?

3. What about the case where camera doesn't have Live View (like 1DM3) - can you tolerate peeping through the viewfinder while setting up your focus stacking?

4. How critical is the sequence speed vs reliability? Yes, that's a valid question - like with many other things, focus driving protocol is a mess and we cannot control how successful it is (or not).

Huh. I'm excited Smiley

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Re: Promote Control Focus Stacking
Reply #1 - 07/21/11 at 02:23:03

Wow, Christian, thanks for that. Two threads to watch now... whew Smiley I promise I'll try - but folks! when the beta is out, if you mean to tell me something, do it over our support system please.

Ex Member says: 'off to finalize this baby. '

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #2 - 07/21/11 at 02:54:02

I'm sorry, Arty - the mammoth thread was fun to watch evolve, but breaking news like these just get buried in there.

You can keep easy track of multiple threads just by clicking the "Notify of replies" on the bottom of the panel. When you additionally setup an email rule, they're all collected in a folder and you have an easy track record. Alternatively, you can just subscribe to the RSS feed of the "General Talk" forum....

IP Logged

Kelly Bellis
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/21/11 at 09:52:29

Very interesting... especially for macro work, way to go Arty!

Kelly

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #4 - 07/21/11 at 11:02:25

Freaking awesome Arty Smiley  I wonder if you guys looked at how Magic Lantern implements focus racking to do your focus stacking.  Reliable seems more important to me, but then I do not need to be on and off a set within a few minutes.  Maybe two modes for focus stacking Wink
a.  focus stack reliable = I have enough time to do focus stacking a reliable way.
b.  focus stack fast = They are going to kick my but if I stay on the set more than three minutes.

I no longer access to both Canon and Nikon and will need to make a choice. ( No longer at Giga )  Most likely Canon even though my last Gig used Nikon.

Blochi, thanks for moving this to a new thread so that I can quickly find it Smiley

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/22/11 at 17:57:43

OK, here we go:

Download firmware:

http://bit.ly/oHZMsy

View instructional videos:

http://bit.ly/qPaPtR

Have fun!

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/22/11 at 17:59:22

Castillonis wrote on 07/21/11 at 11:02:25:
Freaking awesome Arty Smiley  I wonder if you guys looked at how Magic Lantern implements focus racking to do your focus stacking.  Reliable seems more important to me, but then I do not need to be on and off a set within a few minutes.  Maybe two modes for focus stacking Wink
a.  focus stack reliable = I have enough time to do focus stacking a reliable way.
b.  focus stack fast = They are going to kick my but if I stay on the set more than three minutes.

I no longer access to both Canon and Nikon and will need to make a choice. ( No longer at Giga )  Most likely Canon even though my last Gig used Nikon.

Blochi, thanks for moving this to a new thread so that I can quickly find it Smiley

Hmm, we will take a look at ML effort too. Thanks!

IP Logged

Jean-Michel
YaBB Newbies

I love HDR

Ittre - Belgium
Reply #7 - 07/27/11 at 17:38:48

Smiley Work perfectly with 5DmkII BUT turn OFF stabelizer, if the lens have one, otherwise focusing won't work  Angry.

Is it possible to check that when clicking on "START" and displaying a warning if the lens has stabelizer ON ?

Thanks for the great job done so far.

IP Logged

gregdh
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/01/11 at 21:54:00

I am new here and would like to start by saying hello to everyone. My name is Greg, and although I've been taking photos for some time, I don't have a lot of experience with HDR.

I recently purchased a Promote Control and downloaded the beta firmware to try the new focus stacking feature with my Canon 7D. I cannot get the focus stacking to work with the 7D, and I just wanted to share my experience with others. Also, I hope others will share what their experience is with various Canon cameras that have Live View.

On the 7D, I can focus at the start point, and I can get the lens to move forward and set an end point. When I hit start, the Promote moves the lens back to the starting point, but then at the very end the camera re-focuses wherever the focus point is set. For each subsequent photo in the stack, Promote moves the focus point and the camera then re-focuses to wherever the focus point is set. All photos in the stack end up focused on the same point.

I sent a message to the folks at Promote through their support system, so they are aware of the 7D's behavior with the beta firmware. I'm sure they will find a solution in due time, so now I'm just wondering what other Canon cameras with Live View work with the beta firmware.

I appreciate hearing about other people's experience.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/03/11 at 16:30:50

Is there a recommended workflow for processing focus stacks?
Normally I wouldn't risk updating the firmware in the middle of a project, but this was too cool not to try. It's not terribly clear if you need the power on the promote on when you hold MODE and connect USB, nor clear if you need to continue to hold MODE during the whole process, though I did figure it out eventually. (No and yes?)
« Last Edit: 08/03/11 at 18:23:38 by N/A »  

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/05/11 at 10:16:44

Great work on the firmware, Arty. I now believe my issue was an ID-10T error.
« Last Edit: 08/15/11 at 16:55:18 by N/A »  

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/06/11 at 06:50:20

Quote:
Some unfortunate issues, when the promote with the beta firmware goes to sleep, it sets the iso to 320, turns off mirror lockup, and resets custom wb to auto. I'll see if tuning the sleep delay can avert this frustrating situation.

Steve,

What camera is that? When we are going to sleep mode, there is nothing done to the camera - no instructions are being sent. I'm thinking there might be some default setup in the camera that for some reason gets activated when we release the USB bus. I will check on our pool of cameras too.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 08/09/11 at 00:56:27

It's a 5D2. I'm going to try it without the separate shutter release on the off-chance that has any effect, as soon as the weather here in Smallville clears enough to allow shooting.
This config worked well before the beta.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/11/11 at 08:01:13

Quote:
It's a 5D2. I'm going to try it without the separate shutter release on the off-chance that has any effect, as soon as the weather here in Smallville clears enough to allow shooting.
This config worked well before the beta.

Does that function reset happen when going to sleep from the Focus Stacking mode, or any modes? I don't have access to a 5DM2 to test right now, but will test once I have one.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/11/11 at 08:06:22

Quote:
Is there a recommended workflow for processing focus stacks?
Normally I wouldn't risk updating the firmware in the middle of a project, but this was too cool not to try. It's not terribly clear if you need the power on the promote on when you hold MODE and connect USB, nor clear if you need to continue to hold MODE during the whole process, though I did figure it out eventually. (No and yes?)

It's only needed to hold Mode while connecting, and Promote Control must be off before starting this process. Holding Mode button down all the time won't hurt, but is not required.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print