Promote Field Bracket (Read 8312 times)
Kelly Bellis

I love HDR; really, I
do :)

Ellsworth, Maine
Promote Field Bracket
06/29/11 at 16:33:48

Promote Field Bracket

The photos above (and below) show the field bracket that I made for the Promote Systems' controller from 6 mm Sintra and a modified GPS field bracket that I already had (Promark2 Field Receiver Bracket (P/N 701993)).

Basically, the Promote's bracket is T-shaped cut from a 5.25" x 4.875" piece of rigid PVC board with the tabs formed by heat bending the material. The bracket is then bolted to the GPS bracket. The rig clamps onto a piece of 1" I.D. x 1.75" length of PVC pipe which fits nicely over the center riser of the two Manfrotto tripods shown; the older being Model 3001 which was later replaced by the Manfrotto 190XPROB.

The freely rotating pipe sleeved over the center post of the tripod allows the clamped on rig to rotate with the pano head and thereby facilitating no extra masking for View Point Correction in PTGui.

The two cables running between the camera and the Promote unit were conjoined with a continuous length of 3/4" wide electrical tape. Because the overall diameter of the conjoined cables was slightly greater than 3/4", a second length of electrical tape was applied. As mentioned in that monstrously long thread of nearly 500 posts over the past 2 years started by Sam Rohn, a telephone-cord-like curly cable containing both the shutter cable and the controller cable would be a much better solution, but this will work - despite the two cables being different lengths. Ideally; however, there would be no wires whatsoever, with the communications between the controller and camera being wireless and remotely fired. Maybe Arty already has something like that planned?

This was just one idea using a GPS bracket that I already had and have been using for the past 10 years in my land surveying business. That particular part that Magellan had manufactured for the PM2s seems scarce today after having done a few minutes of searching. However, there are many other brackets that will similarly clamp onto a pipe. It's the cradle for the Promote controller that you'll need to customize for whichever clamping rig you find.

Kind regards,

Kelly

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Re: Promote Field Bracket
Reply #1 - 06/30/11 at 07:10:47

Dude, this is just awesome beyond measures! I like hat it's not depending on the Nodal Ninja to hold it....

Wonder if there's an easier way than heat-molding a metal bracket. At least to me that sounds rather hardcore. How did you do that? Or where did you have that done?

IP Logged

Kelly Bellis

I love HDR; really, I

Ellsworth, Maine
Reply #2 - 06/30/11 at 10:45:43

Thanks Christian - I'm glad you like it. It was fun making it too Smiley

My Promote cradle isn't metal. It's made out of Sintra which is a PVC sheet material typically used in many signage applications because of its unique properties, including its ability to be heat formed. It also takes silk screening beautifully (or Rustoleum like in these photos Wink and is easy to cut. I just happened to have some leftovers laying around. A regular lighter was all that was needed for heating the tabs enough to bend them for the cradle shown. Ideally; however, 1/16th anodized aluminum could be used instead. It might be cheaper to find something already manufactured that could hold the Promote unit - with or without that little molded neck strap holder tab on the bottom.

I didn't bother mentioning it earlier, but there are two 3/4" vinyl bumpers on the bottom of the cradle that were cut to fit and to 1) provide a non-slip surface and 2) to accommodate that little tab on the bottom of the Promote.

IP Logged

Arty

Curious Apprentice

Reply #3 - 07/01/11 at 17:25:44

Kelly Bellis wrote on 06/30/11 at 10:45:43:
Thanks Christian - I'm glad you like it. It was fun making it too Smiley

My Promote cradle isn't metal. It's made out of Sintra which is a PVC sheet material typically used in many signage applications because of its unique properties, including its ability to be heat formed. It also takes silk screening beautifully (or Rustoleum like in these photos Wink and is easy to cut. I just happened to have some leftovers laying around. A regular lighter was all that was needed for heating the tabs enough to bend them for the cradle shown. Ideally; however, 1/16th anodized aluminum could be used instead. It might be cheaper to find something already manufactured that could hold the Promote unit - with or without that little molded neck strap holder tab on the bottom.

I didn't bother mentioning it earlier, but there are two 3/4" vinyl bumpers on the bottom of the cradle that were cut to fit and to 1) provide a non-slip surface and 2) to accommodate that little tab on the bottom of the Promote.

Kelly,

I'm knocked speechless. I want to sell these, and if you are the one to manufacture them - more power to you, but it does sound like you are the right person to ask about this stuff. How about I drop you an email and we see if you can help us out with that? We got limited manpower to invent, and I will gladly embrace any community effort.

Arty

IP Logged

Arty

Curious Apprentice

Reply #4 - 07/01/11 at 17:27:48

Oh, and speaking of wireless - it's too early to speak about this right now, there are numerous issues with wireless USB transmission to be overcome. I'd say it's safe to hold on to your Promotes for now, but we at Promote never stop looking up, you know Smiley

IP Logged

Kelly Bellis

I love HDR; really, I

Ellsworth, Maine
Reply #5 - 07/01/11 at 17:44:11

Hi Arty,

I'm very happy that you like it.

From your perspective I'd think that you'd want to find stuff already manufactured that can be easily adapted to the Promote unit. More research is needed in order to narrow down the list of candidates.

The community of talented folks that already use the Promote will be able to add more to this discussion, particularly if they begin searching independently, as well as Promote Systems, for suitable hardware that can be clamped to the tripod's center post and with many different types of tripods in mind. But feel free to email me if you like.

Kind regards,

Kelly

IP Logged

Sam Rohn

360 Panoramas

Brooklyn, New York
Reply #6 - 07/01/11 at 21:08:06

looks really nice Smiley

but...

for shooting spherical panos, looks like the promote & bracket & cables will be visible in down shots, and the cables will get tangled as you rotate the head unless one re-adjusts the bracket several times during a pano shoot, which takes extra time & effort & more possibility of disturbing ones setup...

this is why i put mine on the NN upright arm, the promote is always out of the cameras view, so no extra fiddling or retouching needed, cables do not get tangled around while panning, etc

but your bracket looks nicely made, something like this that attached to the NN or other panohead to always stay behind the lens would be more useful, imho Smiley

thanks

sam

Sam Rohn :: New York City
Location Scout :: http://www.nylocations.com
360 Panoramic Photography :: http://www.samrohn.com
PanoPress :: www.panopress.org :: WordPress plugin for 360 Panoramas
IP Logged

Sam Rohn

360 Panoramas

Brooklyn, New York
Reply #7 - 07/01/11 at 22:55:41

Blochi wrote on 06/30/11 at 07:10:47:
I like that it's not depending on the Nodal Ninja to hold it....

my mount setup can be mounted on a tripod leg too, i'm tempted to say something more substantial would be nice, but my little bit of foam & velcro has lasted longer than i predicted, almost 2 years now under decent use, + it packs small, no moving parts to break or lose, lightweight, stays in position when you move the tripod to new location, etc

having to apply velcro to the promote remote itself as i did here is not really ideal, but it works well

something like kellys bracket that stays behind the lens w panos would be cool, but i also like the idea of a "soft" promote holder, something like a runners armband ipod holder which can attach to pano head or tripod leg as i have shown ?

sam

Sam Rohn :: New York City
Location Scout :: http://www.nylocations.com
360 Panoramic Photography :: http://www.samrohn.com
PanoPress :: www.panopress.org :: WordPress plugin for 360 Panoramas
IP Logged

Kelly Bellis

I love HDR; really, I

Ellsworth, Maine
Reply #8 - 07/02/11 at 01:04:16

Sam Rohn wrote on 07/01/11 at 21:08:06:
looks like the promote & bracket & cables will be visible in down shots, and the cables will get tangled as you rotate the head unless one re-adjusts the bracket several times during a pano shoot, which takes extra time & effort & more possibility of disturbing ones setup

Hi Sam,

Look again - the cables and Promote are always behind the lens. And the rig rotates with the pano head, without tangles and actually with less effort than the pano head alone since there's no detents.

Conjoining the cables cleans things up a bit and the user is free to pick the unit up, hold it and fiddle through the menus and what not and place it back in the cradle with minimal disturbance on the legs.

I admired your ingenuity from the start, still do, am happy that you're happy and even started to copy what you had done, but as you know from my earlier emails to you, I worried about the effect of the added weight further out on the limits of the lower horizontal rail of the pano head and its effect on stitching. Just the Promote unit and cables weigh nearly 8 ounces and that's without the wireless receiver, Velcro and foam blocking added.

The other significant part of the reasoning to not have the controller strapped to the vertical rail of the pano head has to do with the manner in which I shoot the nadir. Because of the setup that I have :: 1.6 crop factor + 10 mm rectilinear lens :: I shoot (6) @ -45, (8) @ 0 and (6) @ 45 + nadir. You probably have the Nikor 10.5? or maybe some other fisheye and likely handle the nadir differently, but until I can save up enough to get the 8-15 when it ships (hopefully next month) I rotate the vertical rail, slide it all the way to the outer end of the lower rail and then reposition the tripod directly over the station point - see image below

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print