Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Environment control in Maya (Read 3601 times)
Rick Toxik

I love HDR

Environment control in Maya
04/04/11 at 14:08:39

Hi hdr labs guys...
  Thank you for the amazing plugin, I use it for almost every Maya render...

After using sIBL for several months, I'm still trying to figure out one thing.  Is there a way to control the environment lighting in sIBL, like you would with the "multiplier" value with the mia_physicalsky?

My problem is that I'd like to light my scene only with sIBL, so that it is physically accurate, but the shadows seem too dark.  Is there a way to control this with sIBL or do I have to add extra lights to my scene?

Thank you very much!

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Re: Environment control in Maya
Reply #1 - 04/05/11 at 08:30:55

Hi Rich,

Do you have an example render? There is an annotation in the scene named [Smart Ibl Controls], there are a few controls (gain/gamma) exposed on it, I would try with the lighting gamma a bit, that should lower the contrast and fill the shadows a bit.

KS

IP Logged

thenextside
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/28/11 at 05:20:56

How does that exposure node connect to the sIBL? I can't see it's connection anywhere. When you graph the sIBL it doesn't show up. When I fist load in an sIBL the first thing that shows up is that exposure node. But as soon as you click on something else its gone and I have to go digging in the hypershade to find it. Am I missing something? Rich, you indicate that it is connected to the [Smart Ibl Controls]. That isn't what I am seeing. Is it possible that the sIBL I am using isn't set up correctly? Thanks!

IP Logged

thenextside
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/28/11 at 05:40:12

I see that it is a lens shader now. Is there anyway that exposure could be tied directly to the environment map so the entire image is not getting darker?

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #4 - 07/28/11 at 08:35:11

Hi,

The mia_exposure_simple node is a lens shader, so it will affect the whole image (It's by the way connected to the scene cameras). If you want to affect only a component of the lighting rig, either use the [Smart Ibl Controls] or alter directly the shading network connected to the rayswitch.

KS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print