Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Android Controller? (Read 7049 times)
Eric S.
Ex Member

Android Controller?
09/29/10 at 16:18:18

Are there any Android developers here?  I keep looking at my Droid Incredible and wishing I knew how to develop.  The Nintendo DS was selected for it's light weight, small size, and long battery life.  All of which an Android enabled phone have.  The Android also has USB built in, which would eliminate the need for additional hardware to be developed and packaged.  Android also has an open marketplace.  Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Martin Clark
Ex Member

Re: Android Controller?
Reply #1 - 09/29/10 at 16:38:40

it will be ported over in due corse. i think akim luke and steve are wanting to get the vinculum v2 chip onboard before any more tweaking.... supposedly.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/01/10 at 05:35:04

It's open source, anyone can do as they please, & there are not any over arcing "plans" to speak of. I'm working on doing usb directly from the Atmega chip, and Luke seems to have bowed out.

IP Logged

Luke Skaff

I love HDR

East Coast, USA
Reply #3 - 10/01/10 at 17:36:57

Quote:
It's open source, anyone can do as they please, & there are not any over arcing "plans" to speak of. I'm working on doing usb directly from the Atmega chip, and Luke seems to have bowed out.

I am still here  Smiley.  Though I have not worked on the project for over a month (sorry guys). I have been waiting for the vinculum II to come out. Hopefully it will be for sale in a few weeks.

IP Logged

Martin Clark
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/01/10 at 19:00:17

Luke Skaff wrote on 10/01/10 at 17:36:57:
Hopefully it will be for sale in a few weeks.

mee tooo Smiley

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/30/10 at 04:41:44

I spent the last week playing with an Android phone, familiarizing myself with the platform. Although I've now set my sights on a Galaxy Tab (so awesome), I don't really see much potential for a controller. It seems that each manufacturer defines their own io scheme, there doesn't appear to be much consistency between any two devices. The unit I'm testing only offers USB host when attached to a base station, and their isn't anything else beyond audio for io possibilities. The operating system is frequently updated, but then it is up to each manufacturer to port it to their devices, which often never happens.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it does not seem an enviable task.

IP Logged

Eric S.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/30/10 at 05:20:30

Yeah, I think this one has to wait until the Android OS has host support.  There is an enhancement request logged with the Google developers that seems to be near the top of the list in terms of user popularity.  One gentleman has managed to modify his rooted Nexus One to support USB host, but I'm certainly not looking to crack open the kernal of my phone just for this.

IP Logged

Photosignals
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/16/11 at 14:55:20

Just to jump start this again, the new version of Android for tablets (3.1) provides built-in platform support for USB host mode and exposes an API that lets applications manage connected peripheral ...

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-3.1-highlights.html

Sounds a very promising platform for a good HDR camera controller.  Even better paired with a EyeFi card.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/16/11 at 18:24:46

It might be some time before this reaches us, the SDK hardware costs several hundred dollars.

IP Logged

ithink2020
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/16/11 at 21:43:43

I'm currently learning Java and how to develop Android apps.  I'm reviewing the API information, see what is possible.

I currently have an Iconia A500 running Android 3.0, waiting for the 3.1 update.  It has a full USB host port on it and basic devices (keyboards) are working on it.

The only issue I have right now, is I do not have a DSLR camera to test with.  However, I'll cross that bridge when I get closer to understanding the API and what is possible once the update is release for my tablet.

Fingers Crossed!!!

Matt

PS:  Please note I'm not a seasoned programmer.  I'm just getting into programming and may take me a while to learn and figure out if and how this is going to work.  But, the best way to learn, is by getting your hands dirty, so I'm going to try!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print