Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Macos X 10.6.4 almost unusable for making HDRI's (Read 2440 times)
bob groothuis
Ex Member

Macos X 10.6.4 almost unusable for making HDRI's
09/01/10 at 10:05:46

Guess I'm not the only one who loses almost 3 production hours a day with making HDRI's above 8k.

Since system Macos 10.5 have beachball's for alsmost 3 hours a day. It starts with finder crashes when I click on 8k HDRI / 16 bit tiff files and higher then the system (kernel) gets nuts with making a simple preview image..... after the finder crashes. The finder crashes got fixed with the latest 10.6.4 update but the system still gets nuts with opening 8 & 11k HDRI images... its takes the whole system in beachball "modus" for almost 1,5 hour per "session". Get a day 3 "sessions" like that.

Its not that I have to little memory (10 gig on board off the Macpro 2 x 2.8 Gigz quad)

Have also enough free space on my mac.

Is the kernel THAT bad protected for (perhaps) not optimized external apps?

Meanwhile thinking seriously about buying a cheap PC with enough RAM for only generate and pre process the HDRI images. Thats also has some positive site effects that finally can run smoothly sIBL edit & Picturenaut without using Parallels like now.

Almost therapy writing this dowm.... its a relieve Wink

Greetings

Bob

[update] posted a screenshot of copying a small file to my desktop - made when the system was in beachball modus - on my website: http://www.bobgroothuis.com/blog/2010/06/dutch-skies-360░-volume-3/
« Last Edit: 09/01/10 at 11:44:27 by N/A »  

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Re: Macos X 10.6.4 almost unusable for making HDRI's
Reply #1 - 09/05/10 at 21:29:39

Sorry to hear you have such troubles Sad I have myself issues with Leopard itself ( memory not released properly, slowdowns, etc ) dunno if it's related to the fact that I have a lot of stuff installed, but I will definitely reinstall everything whenever I have time.

KS

IP Logged

bob groothuis
Ex Member

Re: Macos X 10.6.4 almost unusable for making HDRI's
Reply #2 - 09/16/10 at 15:05:16

Hello Kel,

Have some news regarding the troubles you also experience (slowdowns sound like the same problems so please wait with installing everything again or making a new user account perhaps its not nescecary..oh and one more thing be sure to have about 100 gig free space on the disk where the Macos X runs on)

I only posted the troubles on this page and on my own website (so posted not a message on the Apple support forums)  but did send an e-mail too (same day as first posting on this page) to Steve Jobs personally. Yes.. there are some known possible working e-mails addresses (just search the web for it). And did not get an reaction (off course Wink ).

But guess someone in the PR staff (who reads the e-mails to Steve - he's off course way to busy to do the first screening) sended the mail to the Macos X Development support teamů..

Got an (friendly) e-mail from them yesterday!

Was told that the newest developers Macos X version the issues should be solved. They asked me if I was interested to test the latest Macos X developers version to test it.
Now is it for me a bit difficult/ dangerous to test  on my (only) production machine so now uploaded some test files (9 x 11k 16 bit tiff files + 11k HDR).

Let you know when there is some more news to mention. Hopefully the troubles will be gone in the final release.

Greetings

Bob

ps find it pretty ok that they contacted to help to solve the problems.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print