Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Alternate Hardware (Read 11732 times)
jpopadic
Ex Member

Alternate Hardware
07/15/10 at 11:27:46

I've been working on a simplified alternate harware setup that cuts the microcontroller out of the mix and will (probably) fit inside a standard GBA cart. Critically, it allows the shutter half-press to be controlled independently.

http://bringtheawesome.tumblr.com/tagged/cameracontrol

It addresses the data pins on the GBA cartridge bus directly by pretending it's writing to SRAM.  A pair of flip flops edge trigger on the WR signal to latch D0 and D1 (avoiding the microcontroller clock speed issue).  The output of the flip flops drive two optocouplers.

Feel free to use the design as you wish.  I'll have an eagle schematic and board up shortly.

IP Logged

Martin Clark
Ex Member

Re: Alternate Hardware
Reply #1 - 07/15/10 at 21:56:58

have you created your own homebrew software for this hardware or does it work with the OCC stuff? (technically)

IP Logged

jpopadic
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/16/10 at 10:14:38

Someone would need to make a couple of small changes to the DS software to make it write to the cartridge data lines instead of treating the cartridge as a rumble pack as in the current design.  It's literally a two line implementation.

sysSetBusOwners(true, true);
  memcpy((void*)0x0A000000, &data, 1);

Where the two least significant bits of data control the shutter. 0x01 triggers a half-press and 0x02 triggers a full press.

IP Logged

jpopadic
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/16/10 at 10:21:46

This design gives us independent control of the half-press, so the software could be updated to half-press in advance of the full shutter release.  I think the current system just full-presses and attempts to estimate the delay introduced by the camera (someone correct me if I've got this wrong).

I can't seem to get the OCCbracket project building properly and do a fair bit of NDS programming on my own, so just made a little test program that I can share.

IP Logged

Martin Clark
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/16/10 at 21:10:57

Quote:
I think the current system just full-presses and attempts to estimate the delay introduced by the camera

i would have thaught so too...

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/17/10 at 18:37:46

I'm making this sticky, as a reminder to give it a try.

IP Logged

jpopadic
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/12/10 at 16:10:27

The boards are back and I've put one together.  Success!

I'd like to offer these to the group but am having trouble getting the OCCBracket project set up.  All of my previous DS work has just been with a text editor and make.  If I provide a sample, would someone be willing to add support for my hardware to the app as an option?

IP Logged

jpopadic
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/13/10 at 10:47:14

Alternate hardware is up and running and happily snapping away using my (much crappier than OCCBracket) test app.  The default state of the GBA bus data lines is low, so there is no issue with false triggering on startup.

Does anyone know of a good source for a normal (not the fat warioware one) gameboy cartridge housing?  At the moment, I've just shaved down the blanking plate and have the bare circuit board dangling from my DS.

If someone who has OCCBracket building correctly at home would be interested in modifying it to use this hardware as well, I'd be happy to post them a completed module. I really can't seem to get the project up and running myself.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/15/10 at 22:25:47

I wonder if there is some way to link to a vmware image of a working dev environment that won't violate too many rules?

IP Logged

jpopadic
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/24/10 at 09:45:16

Hi guys. Back from a week or two of holiday in the sun.

Steve, is it possible to set up the project so that it will build simply with "make" for those of us that don't use (or prefer not to use) VS?

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/26/10 at 22:16:55

Yes, you can just install all of the required tools as outlined by the Devkitpro.org website, then just use our source code without the Visual Studio project files.

IP Logged

jpopadic
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/27/10 at 10:26:49

I can't seem to get this building.  When I run make (after cleaning), it spits out a bunch of linker errors, though the object files it claims to be missing are sitting in the build directory.

I've attached the (very) truncated output from make.  (It's probably worth clearing up the warnings, if only to make the output more readable.)

Code:
C:\Downloads\OCCbracket\OCCbracket\02_23_10\ver15>make clean
Cleaning... ver15

C:\Downloads\OCCbracket\OCCbracket\02_23_10\ver15>make
Linking...
arm-eabi-g++.exe: synth_beep_1.o: No such file or directory
arm-eabi-g++.exe: firmware.o: No such file or directory
arm-eabi-g++.exe: logo.o: No such file or directory
arm-eabi-g++.exe: logo_wifi.o: No such file or directory
arm-eabi-g++.exe: main.o: No such file or directory
arm-eabi-g++.exe: card_spi.o: No such file or directory
arm-eabi-g++.exe: dserial.o: No such file or directory
[tries to link a couple more times]
synth_beep_1.raw
firmware.bin
logo.bmp
logo_wifi.bmp
main.cpp
[a couple hundred warnings about deprecated functions]
card_spi.c
dserial.c
Linking...
Nintendo DS rom tool 1.47 - Mar 25 2010
by Rafael Vuijk, Dave Murphy, Alexei Karpenko
Cannot open file 'c:/devkitPro/msys/lib/arm7/arm7.bin'.
make[1]: *** [/c/Downloads/OCCbracket/OCCbracket/02_23_10/ver15/Release/ver15.nd
s] Error 1
make: *** [build] Error 2

Steve: If you have a moment, can you try this on your system?  Download and unpack OCCBracket.zip and run make clean then make on it and see if you get similar issues.

Cheers,
John

IP Logged

Yogie
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/16/12 at 13:27:52

Hi,

how far is the solution here!?

Ever seen this one? https://triggertrap.com/

Cheers
Yogie

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/19/12 at 20:29:59

It's all about the PT Barnum effect, I guess.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/14/12 at 21:34:22

I just ordered a triggertrap as they are only a few dollars on Amazon, & the app is now free. Meanwhile I'm using a new super-OCC for texture shooting, just used the 8-Nikon rig for a movie (of course I can't say which because Legal might scour the web for subjects to castigate, but I can hint that its name refers to the feeling one might have the morning after a third party?  Roll Eyes)

Why OCC? The cameras are controlled by USB, but multi camera software can't synchronize as well as the straightforward OCC config, so the shots and lights are triggered via OCC, and the camera settings are done through USB. Offloading images has been a nightmare with the D800e's on USB, sometimes they connect, sometimes they don't, and I can't have people waiting while I juggle and struggle with USB hubs and cables, so I also config'd the OCC to toggle power to the cameras and hubs, using a Relay shield. I'm putting together a single OCC circuit board that will control 12 cameras and 4 peripheral devices (pocketwizard, etc.) but sadly our source "circuitboardstogo.com" seems to have disappeared. I'll have to ask Blochi to update the OCC reference design document pages.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print