Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OCC with USB Interface / prototype using Mini GBA (Read 7494 times)
Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
OCC with USB Interface / prototype using Mini GBA
06/23/10 at 11:47:25

Hello together ,

ups i did it again.

After several redesigns of the original board, my developed occ using a standard GBA Case i now developed a prototype of the occ combined with a USB port and micro b USB connector. That allows locking the cable to avoid unintentionally disconnection.

The unit works right now with my DS and my 30D (not yet by usb). My computer knows it as a "USB to UART Unit" if i connect it. Now i have to find out the way updating it by using the USB Port.
I used a CP2102 Chip to comunicate with the Atmega 328 TQFP.

I think this could be the next stage that allows connecting the DS by a combination of shutter release cable and USB to a canon camera using PTP.

Here one picture of the unit using a standard mini GBA case, manufactured complete in SMD.Wink

Yours Achim

« Last Edit: 06/25/10 at 08:37:50 by Achim Berg »  

occ_usb_mini_gba_30d.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Martin Clark
Ex Member

Re: OCC with USB Interface / prototype using Mini GBA
Reply #1 - 06/23/10 at 21:54:30

nice one! a major step forward for USB control!

just a quick question, how does it lock, inside the GBA case?

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #2 - 06/23/10 at 22:47:00

Quote:
just a quick question, how does it lock, inside the GBA case?

What does this question mean? I didnīt understand this question ?! Maybee have a look at the second picture.

Yours Achim

IP Logged

Martin Clark
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/24/10 at 00:50:41

you said

"That allows locking the cable to avoid disconnection unintentionally."

how does the cable "lock" or "locking" to the female connector?

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #4 - 06/24/10 at 06:58:43

Quote:
you said

"That allows locking the cable to avoid disconnection unintentionally."

how does the cable "lock" or "locking" to the female connector?

The micro usb Connector has two small sprins on one side. They fix the connection inside the micro b connector.
-> have a look at the picture to see what i mean

MicroB_USB_Plug.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Luke Skaff

I love HDR

East Coast, USA
Reply #5 - 06/25/10 at 00:11:10

Achim,
Looks like you have been having some fun  Smiley.  Sorry if I misunderstand your design but is the USB to UART to allow a laptop to trigger the shutter release via UART (RS-232 emulation) or just for firmware update of the ATmega?

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #6 - 06/25/10 at 08:35:09

Luke Skaff wrote on 06/25/10 at 00:11:10:
Sorry if I misunderstand your design but is the USB to UART to allow a laptop to trigger the shutter release via UART (RS-232 emulation) or just for firmware update of the ATmega?

The main intention was getting the possibility updating the unit ( Atmega MC ) from a pc because i used a TQFP Atmega 328. The GBA Case is so small that it was not possible to integrate an ISP 6 pin connector on the board. I had to solder cables for each update to the board. I donīt like the way opening the case, updating the Firmware of the Atmega  (by soldering cables to the unit).

The second idea for that design was getting the possibility sending information’s from the DS by using the Atmega to a usb connected Canon camera using PTP. (was only an idea). The shutter release cable has to be connected too. (same as now)

Maybe someone is able to write a program ( or rework Bracket as a new Version including the protocol and the features). Iīm a newbee by programing the DS.

IP Logged

Luke Skaff

I love HDR

East Coast, USA
Reply #7 - 06/25/10 at 18:58:40

Achim Berg wrote on 06/25/10 at 08:35:09:
The main intention was getting the possibility updating the unit ( Atmega MC ) from a pc because i used a TQFP Atmega 328. The GBA Case is so small that it was not possible to integrate an ISP 6 pin connector on the board. I had to solder cables for each update to the board. I donīt like the way opening the case, updating the Firmware of the Atmega  (by soldering cables to the unit).

On cramped board I find 0.05" (1.27mm) headers much easier to fit, you may be able to fit something like this or a right angle through hole version

Quote:
The second idea for that design was getting the possibility sending information’s from the DS by using the Atmega to a usb connected Canon camera using PTP. (was only an idea). The shutter release cable has to be connected too. (same as now)

Unfortunately the USB to UART IC cannot be used to control a camera; it is a USB slave device.  A USB host controller like the FTDI Vinculum must be used.  The USB to UART IC is also designed to work as a CDC USB class slave device and cameras USB endpoints operate in a different USB class.

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #8 - 06/25/10 at 22:01:30

If installing an 0.05" (1.27mm) headers i have to build a seperate isp adapter. The USB cable is available nearly everywhere. If such an header would be installed and i want to avoid free blank pins i have to open the case again for updating the occ. I prefer the safer version about the usb port. Yes, it is a little more work installing the few parts, but i then can leave the case closed. Anyway the layout works and the bord fits to the case.

The second idea was only an idea. Thanks for updating me about the function. I then have a try by the vinculum. Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print