Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DS Canon Live View (Read 6760 times)
ehong33234
Ex Member

DS Canon Live View
04/17/10 at 20:47:25

I don't know how the DS screen resolution is compared specifically to the screen resolution of the Canon Rebel series DSLR's but it would be great to have a Live View mod option.

A lot of times I shoot architectural photography and to maximize the space, I find myself up against a wall most of the time making it really difficult to look through the viewfinder or live view.

Thoughts?

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Re: DS Canon Live View
Reply #1 - 04/17/10 at 23:50:35

We'd need have Canon write a compatible SDK as they have for PC's, and hope for the same from every other camera brand we would want to use.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/18/10 at 00:36:38

Let me clarify that, using live-view is possible through USB only when using a full USB host with Canon SDK support, and only with cameras that support live view. That means carrying a Windows PC or Mac OSX laptop tethered to your camera, which is not what we are developing.

It is already possible to get live-view from any Canon DSLR through the DS, but the hardware that allows that also sits where our OCC cartridge needs to be, so you'd have to juggle. You've inspired me to play with that. I already have this http://www.superufo.com/review_html/GBA_SP_AV_Adapter.html that I purchased from PlayAsia. I'll crack open the case.

IP Logged

keithc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/19/10 at 08:08:14

I like the sound of this, in the meantime a right angled viewfinder (ebay) is an essential piece of kit and to read the histogram a mirror stuck to a ping pong bat is useful; used to be used in jewelery photography in the studio to change the lens aperture when subject and lens was surrounded by paper, mirror card et al.

IP Logged

ehong33234
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/19/10 at 19:48:27

@Keith, thanks for pointing out that right angled viewfinder. I wasn't aware something like this existed.

Me being the broke ass that I am, I hope Steve can figure out how to combine the abilities of the PlayAsia tuner with the current OCC mod chip.

Steve, I'm not a developer so forgive me if this sounds stupid, but does the Arduino have the capability to act as a tuner if some video inputs could be rigged?

IP Logged

keithc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/20/10 at 07:19:24

http://www.smallhd.com/dpslr/

This came over the wire this morning, price of a good second hand camera. best keithc

IP Logged

ehong33234
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/20/10 at 19:33:27

I wonder if there is a way to convert a digital picture frame into a viewfinder or program one to utilize the Canon Live View Shooting...

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/21/10 at 03:56:40

I doubt it, even if it ran Linux you'd still need Canon to make an SDK for Linux.

I've been tinkering with using the previously mentioned video attachment as a live view for the Olympus EP-1. I can confirm that focus is doable, using the OLY 10X live view focus zoom, it is easy to detect the contrast difference of a focused shot on the DS screen. I haven't used it in the field yet, but from my past experience using the OLY at Yosemite, because it has no viewfinder, it was nearly impossible to see the camera's back screen in daylight. I was going to get a Zacuto for it, but I'll try the DS instead.

IP Logged

Martin Clark
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/27/10 at 15:44:46

http://www.linkdelight.com/Viewfinders/Aputure-Gigtube-Digital-Viewfinder-GT1C-f...

i especially like the idea of the illustration illustrating the low angle picture!

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/29/10 at 05:34:36

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print