Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Circuit board redesign (Read 28353 times)
Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Circuit board redesign
03/22/10 at 17:19:04

My name is Achim Berg and i´m 40years old. I live in Germany near to Cologne and for photography I use an Canon 30D with battery grip.
Since 20 years I have fun with photography. Since two years I´m very interested in HDR photography.
On an  german internet site about HDR photography I discovered  the link to hdrlabs.com and the OCC.
After I´ve read the article about the occ, I decided to build my own interface cable .

While the wiring for the ground pad´s disturbed me, I decided to rework your layout.
Now it is finished and I would like to send you the reworked version ( maybe for update your side ).
The connection diagram has been reworked too, so it fits to the new layout of the circuit board.
Nearly everything is at the same place, only the direction of the diodes D1 & 2 and the place for resistor R3 & 4 and the pad P2 & 3 has changed.

The design is still a single-sided Board, but now you only have three wires of the shutter release cable to fix to the board.

No more wires needed.  Cool

Since i couldn’t find a 28 pin narrow IC sockets anywhere in the valley too, I used two 14 pin sockets now instead.
The microcontroller IC chip fits complete to the socket an no pins hang over the edge.

Enclosed the new layout and the new connection diagram.

Yours Achim Berg from Germany 

PS: have fun with it and sorry about my English, pictures will follow til the occ is finished

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Re: Circuit board redesign
Reply #1 - 03/22/10 at 17:26:47

Many thanks to Achim from Deutschland for these suggestions. Please remember that these mods are untested at the moment, so be sure you understand how it correlates to the original design.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/22/10 at 17:33:36

IP Logged

capzicco
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/27/10 at 23:52:44

Any pic of final result ? I'm non a guru of IC, but If I look on picture I can copy it!

IP Logged

bennygod
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/30/10 at 21:06:34

Achim
Great work on the circuit.  I've just spent about 1.5 hrs going through it, the circuit diagram and Steve's original, not being a technical bod it took me a while to figure out how the diagrams worked, anyway, I think I got the hang of it and for what it's worth it looks spot on to me.  I have a few issues that someone might be able to advise me on.  I've got my resonators from RS and are a 3-pin variant:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts...

1. With Achims scheme it looks like he's omitted a location for the central pin (pin 2).  In Steve's diagram it has a connection, but this doesn't go anywhere, so if using Achims scheme can I just fold it out of the way?

2. In case anyone wanted a 28-pin IC socket that will fit perfectly then Maplins (http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=27676) do one for just £1.03 (code FZ57).

3. Is it worth soldering in resistors R3 & R4 with 2700ohm resistors now whilst i'm putting the board together?  I was thinking the 0.6W M2K7 from Maplin:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=341607

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/31/10 at 05:42:18

Strictly speaking the center pin on the resonator should go to ground, but I've found no documentation explaining why. After extensive testing with the center pin simply cut off, I haven't found that removing it effects operation in any way.  BTW, there is a screw boss on the top of Wario Ware cartridge housings that is right over the resonator, so the boss should be chopped off. (It's not in the OCC construction pictures.)

We have to see if anyone will join in with development of the OCC software, so the Guitar Hero lines are as yet unused. Since resistors are cheap, it makes sense to put them in anyways.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/01/10 at 06:06:35

Dave over at CircuitBoardsToGo has reported that due to demand for the circuit boards, he's added a quick-link to order the PanoCamera CB without all of the hassle of entering circuit board dimensions, etc. As soon as someone has verified that Mr. Berg's design is working properly, (I think the only issue might be fitting it inside the cartridge housing,) I'll let him know to use that design exclusively.

IP Logged

bennygod
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/01/10 at 11:30:54

Quote:
Any pic of final result ? I'm non a guru of IC, but If I look on picture I can copy it!

Cap, i'm no electronics wizz either, it took me a while but i've done a rough scheme (it's a jpg) showing the layout of the board, complete with pin no.s, I can send it too you if you'd like? I'd put it up on here but I think I need a flicker account or something to link to.

IP Logged

capzicco
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/01/10 at 14:50:59

Will BE great! I 'stolen' the sleepy DS from my 20 years old son(now hi play with ps3) , And I like to reanimate it with my camera! But as I say I'm not a master on IC. Any help well be great! I good Idea is to make simple jack plug on the interface, so i can use the OCC with my 350ir modified, and the 40D and 5D without soldering the wire.
I think you can attach picture here or on flicker.
I'm waiting for it!

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #9 - 04/01/10 at 19:55:55

You can just attach the images to your post. The option is on the bottom, below the smilies. It will automatically upload a picture, create a thumbnail, and show it here. Hit the big Plus Icon on the left to upload multiple attachments at once, the forum will automatically create a mini-gallery.

IP Logged

bennygod
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/01/10 at 21:20:48

Here it is:
Purple = IC
Blue = NTE3041
Orange = Resistor
Red = Diode
Green = Resonator

circuit.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/02/10 at 00:45:06

Wowzers, that's darn clever. We should probably rework the fanciful ground line on the right, if only because drilling the three extra holes is not needed - even if it is cool looking. After that, I'll move the new circuit board to the instruction pages, so that no one orders the old version.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #12 - 04/02/10 at 02:25:36

So I take the operation of this new design is confirmed, yes?

And I like the colored overlays, makes it very clear to assemble that puppy. We should put up a clean version for oder and a color-overlayed version for assembly.

IP Logged

capzicco
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/06/10 at 03:22:26

I like IT! Well, can you give me (us) the exact IC numeber of Parts ? It's not easy for a not-guru to order a Resistor,Diode or Resonator. Which model ? Which brand ? please! And even, no one can make (and) reasonable sell this ?
No contact with Achim Berg ? Maybe from Germany to Italy is easy Smiley))

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #14 - 04/06/10 at 11:00:43

Hello together,

I never thought that my new layout would encounter such a large interest. I´ve read the tip about the three ground holes.

First I desided to leave them in this layout so it could be more easy to solder two seperate 20pf capacitors (added by me, recomended by Atmel) which should be connencted to each pin of the oscillator (xtal) to ground. In the original manual of the atmega 168 / 328 IC it is documentated for more stability. I´ve reworked the layout and the circuit plan. By the way, the new layout ( i use now ) has two SMD capacitors below the 28pin Socket, connectet the first one from pin 9 to ground and the second from pin 10 to ground. Please remember to consider the correct polarity of the capacitors. Pin 9 & 10 have to be conected to the positive side of the capacitor!

I´ll post the new circuit diagram and the layout seperate.

« Last Edit: 04/07/10 at 08:48:16 by Achim Berg »  
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #15 - 04/06/10 at 13:47:39

Hello Steve,

here is the new board design without the fanciful ground line on the right side.

I wrote about the two capacitors C1 & C2 on the atmega 168/328. They were added in the layout too. These capacitors are not really nessesary but recommended. They make the clock of the oscillator more stabil so the Atmega IC will work better.

Now it is finished and I would like to post the reworked version ( Rev.3.2 ). The connection diagram has been reworked too, so it fits to the new layout of the circuit board Rev.3.2. ( capacitor C1 & C2 were added, D1 & D2 were shown as zener diodes with 3Volt )

« Last Edit: 04/07/10 at 08:42:42 by Achim Berg »  
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #16 - 04/06/10 at 13:59:17

Hello together,

Here is the circuit Board

Yours Achim
« Last Edit: 04/12/10 at 08:05:12 by Achim Berg »  

OCC_board_v32_final.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #17 - 04/06/10 at 14:02:30

Hello together,

and here is the connection diagram too as a jpg.

Yours Achim
« Last Edit: 04/07/10 at 08:20:15 by Achim Berg »  

OCC_circuit_new_v32_final.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #18 - 04/06/10 at 18:30:40

Awesome, thanks.

I just changed the forum settings, so it now accepts .tif files as well. And you can post up to 8 attachments at once.

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #19 - 04/06/10 at 18:52:41

Here is the circuit board now as a tif file ( Rev 3.2 )
« Last Edit: 04/12/10 at 07:57:38 by Achim Berg »  

OCC_board_v32_final.tif (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #20 - 04/06/10 at 18:53:36

and the connection diagram as tif too
« Last Edit: 04/07/10 at 08:22:17 by Achim Berg »  

OCC_circuit_new.tif (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #21 - 04/08/10 at 19:04:25

Hello together,

yesterday i posted the circuit board Rev 3.2. Here now the updated rough scheme.

Here it is:
Purple = IC ( Atmega 168 or 328 )
Blue = NTE3041
Orange = Resistor
Red = Diode ( Zener Diode 3V )
Green = Resonator ( 16Mhz )
Yellow = 22pF/50V SMD Capacitor C1 & C2

Yours Achim
« Last Edit: 06/21/10 at 07:53:17 by Achim Berg »  

circuit_new_Rev_3_2.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 04/08/10 at 21:01:34

All good things. Keep in mind the Arduino doesn't control the shot timing, it's there to respond to the IRQ, and press the button. Timing variations of a few milliseconds won't effect the shot, and the camera itself is a source of greater timing error, as we've seen with Canon's aperture control scheme being poorly implemented.

TBS, some future implementations of the firmware might rely more on resonator timing, and as Achim has suggested, the shot control might be handed over entirely to the microcontroller in a future rendition, so we might also consider the option of using a crystal oscillator.

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #23 - 04/09/10 at 09:05:15

I think the option of using a crystal oscillator in not a really option. These oscilators are so cheap (less than 40Cent) an so i think it is worth to use it as a standard. Compared to the price of the controlled equipment (Camera and so on ) it´s nothing Smiley

I use this type of oszillator ( see picture )

By the way. At the moment i´m waiting for another type of optical isolator chip ( 4N28 ) instead of the NTE3041. I´ll test it and will give a feedback. This IC is compatible to the pins of the NTE3041. You can by it everywhere across europe and it has the same specs. The NTE3041 is really hard to get in europe. In germany only one distributor sells it and there it is expensive.
« Last Edit: 04/09/10 at 11:42:03 by Achim Berg »  

oszilator.gif (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 04/09/10 at 22:56:26

Hmmm. Hmmmmm. That picture is of a crystal oscillator, and would need the caps. The design specc'ed a ceramic oscillator. I think however that you've managed to cleverly shoehorn in a way to use either type of clock by drawing in the SMD pads.

If I understand your first line, you are really suggesting that not using a crystal oscillator is "not an option" because of their trivial cost. I'll leave it up to each of you to decide which timing source to use, but due to the apparent difficulty in harvesting the required components in the EU, I'd like to reassure everyone that the caps are not needed with a ceramic device and won't effect performance, so you do not need to find the SMD caps.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 04/12/10 at 07:58:48

One thing I need to add is an LED, so that when troubleshooting one can verify that the Arduino is booted properly. It looks like pin 6 might be bridged to ground using a 3V LED without c.l. resistor.

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #26 - 04/12/10 at 08:23:45

Hello Steve,

i can put the solderpads inside the layout to install an LED . If you want i can send you the first Version of the layout to control.

Yours Achim

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #27 - 04/12/10 at 08:45:34

Send it to me, I'll put it on the page. Or attach it to a post, and it's already on the server  Smiley

Blochi@HDRLabs.com

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #28 - 04/12/10 at 09:36:47

Hello Blochi,

here the changed layout of the circuit board Rev 3.2a with the LED pads ( pad 6 to pad 8 ) atachched to the Atmega 168/328. I named it "D3" in the layout. The corresponding connection diagram and the updated rough scheme will come soon

Yours Achim

OCC_board_v32a.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #29 - 04/12/10 at 10:02:06

arrrr ... just had it updated with your 3.2 layout. Literally a minute ago.

PS: The years have taught me: Never put "final" in the filename. Wink

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #30 - 04/12/10 at 10:28:13

Hello Blochi,

ok i have changed the "extention" final Wink
here the reworked connection diagram

achim

OCC_circuit_new_v32a.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #31 - 04/12/10 at 10:30:08

and the files as tif

OCC_board_v32a.tif (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #32 - 04/12/10 at 10:30:47

the connection diagram as tif too

OCC_circuit_new_v32a.tif (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #33 - 04/12/10 at 11:35:08

and here´s the rough sheme to Rev 3.2a

Here it is:
Purple = IC ( Atmega 168 or 328 )
Blue = NTE3041
Orange = Resistor
Red = Diode ( Zener Diode 3V )
Green = Resonator ( 16Mhz oscillator)
Yellow = 22pF/50V SMD capacitor C1 & C2 ( only needed if a crystal oscillator is installed / when used a ceramic oscillator c1 & C2 are not needed )
cyan = LED ( 3V Type / D3 )

Yours Achim
« Last Edit: 06/21/10 at 07:52:48 by Achim Berg »  

rough_sheme_Rev_3_2a.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Re: Circuit board redesign -LED addition
Reply #34 - 04/14/10 at 00:50:18

Nicely done Achim! I think we'll start with a heartbeat routine in the endless loop of the microcontroller code. We could stand to lose a few milliseconds in the shoot interrupt to turn the LED solid after the half-press occurs, & before the full-press. At some point we'll run some timing tests to see how much offset to add to the DS's shot length lookup table.

IP Logged

jpopadic
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 04/14/10 at 17:03:06

Hi guys,

Excuse me if I've missed something crucial here, but this board looks like overkill.  I can't see the point of the microcontroller (beyond the unimplemented half-press delay, which could be implemented using a second data line from the DS).

As far as I can tell, we should be able to drive the opto-isolator directly from the data bus.

Am I missing something?

Cheers,
J

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 04/14/10 at 18:15:26

I'm writing this while crawling through traffic at five miles an hour, because there aren't enough lanes, and no room left to build more without tearing down thousands of houses.

You see, our illustrious forefathers saw the need to connect point A to point B, and the wise men on the planning commission said "All we really need is one lane, to get a car from here to there."

Wait...sorry, what were we talking about?

IP Logged

jpopadic
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 04/14/10 at 18:26:00

Are you suggesting that you foresee switching more than two outputs (half- and full-release) in the future?  I don't see how the hardware as-designed could do this (only two isolated output channels).

If you're looking at doing something clever with the half-release, it seems more flexible to do this in software anyway.

Did I miss some compelling argument in the sarcasm?

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 04/15/10 at 02:22:22

Yes, sorry for the sarcasm; ever the entertainer, you know.

There are already plans to add piggyback circuitry, and anyone here who was not aware of how a microcontroller works (it seems quite a few of us) stands to learn much more from the exercise than by assembling an inverter and an isolator. (You didn't know the default state of the GBA pins - we mustn't have the camera shooting away until our software gains control.)

The cost of the MC itself is not much more than the inverter, and we do hope the $30 cost of the Arduino programmer will benefit our Makers in the long-run. As an open project, & if I have not upset you too much -I really was on the Interstate- Undecided please, you are quite welcome to offer an alternative design!

IP Logged

jpopadic
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 04/15/10 at 10:45:13

No worries.

The design and code confused me somewhat. After a lot of head scratching (using two external interrupt pins to watch the same signal really threw me) it looks like the AVR is just being used to invert the signal on WR.  I agree that microcontrollers are awesome and everyone should learn to play with them.  It's also likely necessary if you want to do something with the GBA cart bus more than watching the rumble output.

Is there a reason you're not using the bus in a more general way?  I ask because I can't find a good example of how to access it myself.  Presumably one simply writes to the correct address and the bus hardware takes care of the rest?  I'm sure you've seen the GeekPort and GameIO products that are out there.  The creator hasn't provided much documentation, I'm afraid.

Excuse me for having hijacked your thread.  Where should we move this discussion?
« Last Edit: 04/15/10 at 11:58:33 by N/A »  

IP Logged

MistrWebmastr
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 04/17/10 at 07:40:36

Unfortunately I printed my circuit board JUST before the new design was posted on the website. I applaud adding the ability to use a crystal as I could not find resonators ANYWHERE around the SF bay area. I ended up going with a crystal & mounting the capacitors on the bottom of the board.

One thing of note - the PDF instructions are still the old version.  It was perfect for me, but it might confuse people.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 04/18/10 at 02:31:04

I'm not sure how to handle this, as things will continue to evolve, hopefully. I have added the heartbeat LED to board rev 3.0 (I also don't have the new board) by tapping a wire into pin 6, and GND.) I'll post new firmware code in another thread, as this thread seems to be near collapse.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #42 - 04/18/10 at 21:28:12

Good point. I know that even the photos on the page are pretty out-of-date. It's pretty hard on my end to keep it all the way up to date - so most certainly the main page will always be one step behind whats you can dig out of this forum.
I'll probably take the PDF off entirely, or find a way to auto-genetare it from the actual webpage. Otherwise it's a major PITA to keep everything up to date....

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #43 - 04/19/10 at 09:12:21

on last saturday i´ve got the ordered positive film for the circuit board Rev 3.2a. Now i´m able to expose and corrode the circuit plate. I´ll take some photos from each step of soldering. Maybee end of next week i´ve updated the pdf. I´ll sent you the final photos of the full assembled OCC ( without case ), the updated pdf with the new layout and the soldering photos step by step.
« Last Edit: 04/19/10 at 13:34:58 by Achim Berg »  
IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 04/21/10 at 06:12:51

Quote:
Is there a reason you're not using the bus in a more general way?  I ask because I can't find a good example of how to access it myself.  Presumably one simply writes to the correct address and the bus hardware takes care of the rest?  I'm sure you've seen the GeekPort and GameIO products that are out there.  The creator hasn't provided much documentation, I'm afraid.

The GBA bus seems to be referenced by token 08000000, and the last two bytes are manipulated to write to the port.

If we add to the main loop:
// testing GBA cart slot writing
           if(Pad.Held.X & PadLock==0){
                 RUMBLE_PAK=1;
                 }
           if(Pad.Held.Y & PadLock==0){
                 RUMBLE_PAK=0;
                 }
The camera will take a shot, though mysteriously bypasses mirror lockup, so I assume writing any value to the port causes a pin transition to both states.  Huh I really need to figure this out.

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #45 - 04/21/10 at 11:40:38

for those who are able to corrode the circuit board i have developed a
solder stop mask for Rev 3.2a
. I use this in combination with soldestop ink that is available as a photonegative foil which has to be transfered to the  developed, corroded  and not drilled circuit board. After that you only have to develop and fix it with heat/preassure and an UV lamp.
« Last Edit: 04/22/10 at 14:47:40 by Achim Berg »  

Solderstop_OCC_board_v32a.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #46 - 04/21/10 at 11:41:11

and as tif as well
« Last Edit: 04/22/10 at 09:23:52 by Achim Berg »  

Solderstop_OCC_board_v32a.tif (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #47 - 04/22/10 at 14:39:49

Hello together,

ups i did it again Smiley

Here again a new version of the circuit board, now
Rev 3.2b
. While i was seeking a 3V LED ( i didn´t find one ) i decided to rework the layout again. I tried to leave everyting in place, but it doesn´t work with taking position of resistor R3 & R4. Those resistors (R3 & R4) came a little bit closer to the connector but they are still there.

New are five SMD pads for the resistors R1 to R4. Now everyone can decide if standard or an SMD 1206 type resistors  are used.
New is resistor R5, near LED D3
This SMD pad has to be bridged if a 3V LED is used. If a standard LED is used a SMD Resistor with 47 Ohm / 0,25 watt  ( Typ 1206 ) has to be installed
« Last Edit: 04/22/10 at 15:54:36 by Achim Berg »  

OCC_board_v32b.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #48 - 04/22/10 at 15:34:49

For those who are able to corrode the circuit board i have developed a
solder stop mask for Rev 3.2b
also.
Don´t mix with board Rev 3.2a. The boards are a little bit different!

Solderstop_OCC_board_v32b.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #49 - 05/18/10 at 22:35:10

Very well.

I just updated the front page to Revision 3.2b.  Took special care of the PDF, because I figured many people will prefer to read it that way. Both, website and PDF are now in sync.

http://www.hdrlabs.com/occ/files/Documentation/OCC_Cable_Documentation.pdf

Alright, so then lets close this thread. For the next revision, please step forward to 3.3 or even further and open up a new thread. USB controller certainly qualifies for a big fat 4. Wink

IP Logged

Tomas Mac Master
Ex Member

Reply #50 - 06/28/10 at 22:23:21

Steve and everyone,
it's very nice to see what a community can do, thanks to you all.
I have a request to do: Can you all please post the Eagle files too? yes, the .jpg or .tif images are nice to  see the schematic or the final art but the Eagle files would be of great utility to advance and push any other design modifications. Just my though.

Thanks again.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print