Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Circuit board redesign (Read 28372 times)
Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Re: Circuit board redesign
Reply #30 - 04/12/10 at 10:28:13

Hello Blochi,

ok i have changed the "extention" final Wink
here the reworked connection diagram

achim

OCC_circuit_new_v32a.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #31 - 04/12/10 at 10:30:08

and the files as tif

OCC_board_v32a.tif (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #32 - 04/12/10 at 10:30:47

the connection diagram as tif too

OCC_circuit_new_v32a.tif (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #33 - 04/12/10 at 11:35:08

and heres the rough sheme to Rev 3.2a

Here it is:
Purple = IC ( Atmega 168 or 328 )
Blue = NTE3041
Orange = Resistor
Red = Diode ( Zener Diode 3V )
Green = Resonator ( 16Mhz oscillator)
Yellow = 22pF/50V SMD capacitor C1 & C2 ( only needed if a crystal oscillator is installed / when used a ceramic oscillator c1 & C2 are not needed )
cyan = LED ( 3V Type / D3 )

Yours Achim
« Last Edit: 06/21/10 at 07:52:48 by Achim Berg »  

rough_sheme_Rev_3_2a.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Re: Circuit board redesign -LED addition
Reply #34 - 04/14/10 at 00:50:18

Nicely done Achim! I think we'll start with a heartbeat routine in the endless loop of the microcontroller code. We could stand to lose a few milliseconds in the shoot interrupt to turn the LED solid after the half-press occurs, & before the full-press. At some point we'll run some timing tests to see how much offset to add to the DS's shot length lookup table.

IP Logged

jpopadic
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 04/14/10 at 17:03:06

Hi guys,

Excuse me if I've missed something crucial here, but this board looks like overkill. I can't see the point of the microcontroller (beyond the unimplemented half-press delay, which could be implemented using a second data line from the DS).

As far as I can tell, we should be able to drive the opto-isolator directly from the data bus.

Am I missing something?

Cheers,
J

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 04/14/10 at 18:15:26

I'm writing this while crawling through traffic at five miles an hour, because there aren't enough lanes, and no room left to build more without tearing down thousands of houses.

You see, our illustrious forefathers saw the need to connect point A to point B, and the wise men on the planning commission said "All we really need is one lane, to get a car from here to there."

Wait...sorry, what were we talking about?

IP Logged

jpopadic
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 04/14/10 at 18:26:00

Are you suggesting that you foresee switching more than two outputs (half- and full-release) in the future? I don't see how the hardware as-designed could do this (only two isolated output channels).

If you're looking at doing something clever with the half-release, it seems more flexible to do this in software anyway.

Did I miss some compelling argument in the sarcasm?

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 04/15/10 at 02:22:22

Yes, sorry for the sarcasm; ever the entertainer, you know.

There are already plans to add piggyback circuitry, and anyone here who was not aware of how a microcontroller works (it seems quite a few of us) stands to learn much more from the exercise than by assembling an inverter and an isolator. (You didn't know the default state of the GBA pins - we mustn't have the camera shooting away until our software gains control.)

The cost of the MC itself is not much more than the inverter, and we do hope the $30 cost of the Arduino programmer will benefit our Makers in the long-run. As an open project, & if I have not upset you too much -I really was on the Interstate- Undecided please, you are quite welcome to offer an alternative design!

IP Logged

jpopadic
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 04/15/10 at 10:45:13

No worries.

The design and code confused me somewhat. After a lot of head scratching (using two external interrupt pins to watch the same signal really threw me) it looks like the AVR is just being used to invert the signal on WR. I agree that microcontrollers are awesome and everyone should learn to play with them. It's also likely necessary if you want to do something with the GBA cart bus more than watching the rumble output.

Is there a reason you're not using the bus in a more general way? I ask because I can't find a good example of how to access it myself. Presumably one simply writes to the correct address and the bus hardware takes care of the rest? I'm sure you've seen the GeekPort and GameIO products that are out there. The creator hasn't provided much documentation, I'm afraid.

Excuse me for having hijacked your thread. Where should we move this discussion?
« Last Edit: 04/15/10 at 11:58:33 by N/A »  

IP Logged

MistrWebmastr
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 04/17/10 at 07:40:36

Unfortunately I printed my circuit board JUST before the new design was posted on the website. I applaud adding the ability to use a crystal as I could not find resonators ANYWHERE around the SF bay area. I ended up going with a crystal & mounting the capacitors on the bottom of the board.

One thing of note - the PDF instructions are still the old version.  It was perfect for me, but it might confuse people.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 04/18/10 at 02:31:04

I'm not sure how to handle this, as things will continue to evolve, hopefully. I have added the heartbeat LED to board rev 3.0 (I also don't have the new board) by tapping a wire into pin 6, and GND.) I'll post new firmware code in another thread, as this thread seems to be near collapse.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #42 - 04/18/10 at 21:28:12

Good point. I know that even the photos on the page are pretty out-of-date. It's pretty hard on my end to keep it all the way up to date - so most certainly the main page will always be one step behind whats you can dig out of this forum.
I'll probably take the PDF off entirely, or find a way to auto-genetare it from the actual webpage. Otherwise it's a major PITA to keep everything up to date....

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #43 - 04/19/10 at 09:12:21

on last saturday ive got the ordered positive film for the circuit board Rev 3.2a. Now im able to expose and corrode the circuit plate. Ill take some photos from each step of soldering. Maybee end of next week ive updated the pdf. Ill sent you the final photos of the full assembled OCC ( without case ), the updated pdf with the new layout and the soldering photos step by step.
« Last Edit: 04/19/10 at 13:34:58 by Achim Berg »  
IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 04/21/10 at 06:12:51

Quote:
Is there a reason you're not using the bus in a more general way?  I ask because I can't find a good example of how to access it myself.  Presumably one simply writes to the correct address and the bus hardware takes care of the rest?  I'm sure you've seen the GeekPort and GameIO products that are out there.  The creator hasn't provided much documentation, I'm afraid.

The GBA bus seems to be referenced by token 08000000, and the last two bytes are manipulated to write to the port.

If we add to the main loop:
// testing GBA cart slot writing
           if(Pad.Held.X & PadLock==0){
                 RUMBLE_PAK=1;
                 }
           if(Pad.Held.Y & PadLock==0){
                 RUMBLE_PAK=0;
                 }
The camera will take a shot, though mysteriously bypasses mirror lockup, so I assume writing any value to the port causes a pin transition to both states.  Huh I really need to figure this out.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print