Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Circuit board redesign (Read 26564 times)
Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Circuit board redesign
03/22/10 at 17:19:04

My name is Achim Berg and i´m 40years old. I live in Germany near to Cologne and for photography I use an Canon 30D with battery grip.
Since 20 years I have fun with photography. Since two years I´m very interested in HDR photography.
On an  german internet site about HDR photography I discovered  the link to hdrlabs.com and the OCC.
After I´ve read the article about the occ, I decided to build my own interface cable .

While the wiring for the ground pad´s disturbed me, I decided to rework your layout.
Now it is finished and I would like to send you the reworked version ( maybe for update your side ).
The connection diagram has been reworked too, so it fits to the new layout of the circuit board.
Nearly everything is at the same place, only the direction of the diodes D1 & 2 and the place for resistor R3 & 4 and the pad P2 & 3 has changed.

The design is still a single-sided Board, but now you only have three wires of the shutter release cable to fix to the board.

No more wires needed.  Cool

Since i couldn’t find a 28 pin narrow IC sockets anywhere in the valley too, I used two 14 pin sockets now instead.
The microcontroller IC chip fits complete to the socket an no pins hang over the edge.

Enclosed the new layout and the new connection diagram.

Yours Achim Berg from Germany 

PS: have fun with it and sorry about my English, pictures will follow til the occ is finished

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Re: Circuit board redesign
Reply #1 - 03/22/10 at 17:26:47

Many thanks to Achim from Deutschland for these suggestions. Please remember that these mods are untested at the moment, so be sure you understand how it correlates to the original design.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/22/10 at 17:33:36

IP Logged

capzicco
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/27/10 at 23:52:44

Any pic of final result ? I'm non a guru of IC, but If I look on picture I can copy it!

IP Logged

bennygod
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/30/10 at 21:06:34

Achim
Great work on the circuit.  I've just spent about 1.5 hrs going through it, the circuit diagram and Steve's original, not being a technical bod it took me a while to figure out how the diagrams worked, anyway, I think I got the hang of it and for what it's worth it looks spot on to me.  I have a few issues that someone might be able to advise me on.  I've got my resonators from RS and are a 3-pin variant:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts...

1. With Achims scheme it looks like he's omitted a location for the central pin (pin 2).  In Steve's diagram it has a connection, but this doesn't go anywhere, so if using Achims scheme can I just fold it out of the way?

2. In case anyone wanted a 28-pin IC socket that will fit perfectly then Maplins (http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=27676) do one for just £1.03 (code FZ57).

3. Is it worth soldering in resistors R3 & R4 with 2700ohm resistors now whilst i'm putting the board together?  I was thinking the 0.6W M2K7 from Maplin:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=341607

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/31/10 at 05:42:18

Strictly speaking the center pin on the resonator should go to ground, but I've found no documentation explaining why. After extensive testing with the center pin simply cut off, I haven't found that removing it effects operation in any way.  BTW, there is a screw boss on the top of Wario Ware cartridge housings that is right over the resonator, so the boss should be chopped off. (It's not in the OCC construction pictures.)

We have to see if anyone will join in with development of the OCC software, so the Guitar Hero lines are as yet unused. Since resistors are cheap, it makes sense to put them in anyways.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/01/10 at 06:06:35

Dave over at CircuitBoardsToGo has reported that due to demand for the circuit boards, he's added a quick-link to order the PanoCamera CB without all of the hassle of entering circuit board dimensions, etc. As soon as someone has verified that Mr. Berg's design is working properly, (I think the only issue might be fitting it inside the cartridge housing,) I'll let him know to use that design exclusively.

IP Logged

bennygod
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/01/10 at 11:30:54

Quote:
Any pic of final result ? I'm non a guru of IC, but If I look on picture I can copy it!

Cap, i'm no electronics wizz either, it took me a while but i've done a rough scheme (it's a jpg) showing the layout of the board, complete with pin no.s, I can send it too you if you'd like? I'd put it up on here but I think I need a flicker account or something to link to.

IP Logged

capzicco
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/01/10 at 14:50:59

Will BE great! I 'stolen' the sleepy DS from my 20 years old son(now hi play with ps3) , And I like to reanimate it with my camera! But as I say I'm not a master on IC. Any help well be great! I good Idea is to make simple jack plug on the interface, so i can use the OCC with my 350ir modified, and the 40D and 5D without soldering the wire.
I think you can attach picture here or on flicker.
I'm waiting for it!

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #9 - 04/01/10 at 19:55:55

You can just attach the images to your post. The option is on the bottom, below the smilies. It will automatically upload a picture, create a thumbnail, and show it here. Hit the big Plus Icon on the left to upload multiple attachments at once, the forum will automatically create a mini-gallery.

IP Logged

bennygod
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/01/10 at 21:20:48

Here it is:
Purple = IC
Blue = NTE3041
Orange = Resistor
Red = Diode
Green = Resonator

circuit.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/02/10 at 00:45:06

Wowzers, that's darn clever. We should probably rework the fanciful ground line on the right, if only because drilling the three extra holes is not needed - even if it is cool looking. After that, I'll move the new circuit board to the instruction pages, so that no one orders the old version.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #12 - 04/02/10 at 02:25:36

So I take the operation of this new design is confirmed, yes?

And I like the colored overlays, makes it very clear to assemble that puppy. We should put up a clean version for oder and a color-overlayed version for assembly.

IP Logged

capzicco
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/06/10 at 03:22:26

I like IT! Well, can you give me (us) the exact IC numeber of Parts ? It's not easy for a not-guru to order a Resistor,Diode or Resonator. Which model ? Which brand ? please! And even, no one can make (and) reasonable sell this ?
No contact with Achim Berg ? Maybe from Germany to Italy is easy Smiley))

IP Logged

Achim Berg

I love HDR

Germany, near Cologne
Reply #14 - 04/06/10 at 11:00:43

Hello together,

I never thought that my new layout would encounter such a large interest. I´ve read the tip about the three ground holes.

First I desided to leave them in this layout so it could be more easy to solder two seperate 20pf capacitors (added by me, recomended by Atmel) which should be connencted to each pin of the oscillator (xtal) to ground. In the original manual of the atmega 168 / 328 IC it is documentated for more stability. I´ve reworked the layout and the circuit plan. By the way, the new layout ( i use now ) has two SMD capacitors below the 28pin Socket, connectet the first one from pin 9 to ground and the second from pin 10 to ground. Please remember to consider the correct polarity of the capacitors. Pin 9 & 10 have to be conected to the positive side of the capacitor!

I´ll post the new circuit diagram and the layout seperate.

Yours Achim Berg from Germany
« Last Edit: 04/07/10 at 08:48:16 by Achim Berg »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print