Send Topic Print
USB control (Read 35425 times)
Martin Clark
Ex Member

Re: USB control
Reply #30 - 06/11/10 at 16:09:22

http://www.bixnet.com/5v7libapa.html

any help.

although. i would try and avoid this. (more hardware)

IP Logged

Olf

I love HDR

Reply #31 - 06/12/10 at 09:03:55

Quote:
I've found that the ptp USB connection does not provide 5v to the Vinculum (at least from my test camera), so I'm left with using a boost circuit.

This is quite plain. Your camera is a USB Slave device.
Generally the USB Host provides the 5V to the USB Slave Device.
Since your Slave Device (Camera) is powered by its own Battery it's probable that it does not need the 5V power from the Host (unlike other USB Slave Devices like USB flash drives).
The Vinculum USB-Host-Controller itself is powered by 3.3V (as you can see at the datasheets example schematic). Nintendo provides 3.3V.
If the camera doesn't need to be powered by 5V you don't need a 5V source.

Quote:
As of now, the only component I have added to the original OCC design is a Vinculum VDIP1

There's a Voltage regulator at the VDIP1 generating 3.3V out of 5V. You could also feed in the 3.3V directly and disconnect the 5V input. I don't know if you'll have to remove the Voltage regulator for that purpose.
« Last Edit: 06/12/10 at 10:17:36 by Olf »  

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 06/12/10 at 23:18:22

So...I'm...quite plain? I feel jilted.

IP Logged

Olf

I love HDR

Reply #33 - 06/13/10 at 01:17:50

Quote:
So...I'm...quite plain? I feel jilted. 

Olf wrote on 06/12/10 at 09:03:55:
This is quite plain.

I am not a native speaker. I mean it that way: It's just what I expected (This is quite plain to me)

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 06/13/10 at 03:17:29

"Plain" has a slightly pejorative connotation where I'm from, but I was just kidding, I think I understood your intent.

IP Logged

Martin Clark
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 06/20/10 at 23:20:49

psp battery not do it?

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 06/21/10 at 21:51:36

I ordered a camera (shipped today) that is known to be compatible with the Martin Schmidt USB PTP setup, my plan is to establish a known working testbed, then attempt to modify the manufacturer specific codes.

Christian or Achim, might one of you contact Martin in Deutschland to consider his involvement here?

IP Logged

Luke Skaff

I love HDR

East Coast, USA
Reply #37 - 06/22/10 at 01:10:52

Steve,
Over the weekend I was able to change the ISO, exposure, and remote trigger a canon DSLR using a vinculum chip.  Canon uses MTP extensions; MTP is implemented as an extension of the PTP protocol using vendor-defined commands.  If I have time in the coming days I will post a video of the setup.

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 06/26/10 at 22:39:57

Yeah! That's exactly what we're looking for.

IP Logged

Markus H.

I love HDR

-Germany-
Reply #39 - 06/27/10 at 10:27:16

Luke Skaff wrote on 06/22/10 at 01:10:52:
Steve,
Over the weekend I was able to change the ISO, exposure, and remote trigger a canon DSLR using a vinculum chip.  Canon uses MTP extensions; MTP is implemented as an extension of the PTP protocol using vendor-defined commands.  If I have time in the coming days I will post a video of the setup.

Hi Luke,
do you have to use an "external" 5V for the Canon. Could you check, if the programming will works, if the 5V is disconnected. (This is the point Olf above-mentioned)

@all:
Do somebody know the max. current, which the nintendo will provide @PIN1 (VCC)?

IP Logged

Martin Clark
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 06/28/10 at 18:54:57

what about using a 9v battery and a resistor or something either inside the ds cartridge (might need to use the larger warioware case size)

or create something attached to the battery connector
in effect it would be a bit of a larger square ontop of the + - connectors but it would have a resistor circuit... http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/LM/LM7805.html ??

meaning there would have to be 3 connectors comming out of the ds...

one for usb one for shutter rel cable and one 5v in from the battery

thats if it has to have 5v 500ma

IP Logged

Markus H.

I love HDR

-Germany-
Reply #41 - 06/28/10 at 19:59:24

Hi,

Yes you can do many thinks to generate 5V. Step up converter, voltage regulators, ldo..... but for every reglator you have to spend something....like components = pcb space & power consumption.....charger of the 2nd battery....

But I think this is a not a good way to do. If you want to evaluate, please go ahead.

From my point of view we have to do 2 thinks:

1st: Do we need a 5V supply, if the OCC is working as USB host, or will the  cameras provide the power? -> my question to Luke (which was the question of Olf)

Two answers possibilities:

No, we need not 5V = we don't care about the 5V
Yes we need 5V = find a solution

If we need the 5V, we have to calrify which current we need. I think 100mA (low power device) will be enough (if we need more..... we have to talk about).

5V -> best solution to get it from the NDS itself (only 1 charger [NDS] needed), no additional big parts (like battery...).

Therefore I would say, please check the requirement first. What's about the specification of the Pin1 (VCC). Which max. current is specified?

IP Logged

Olf

I love HDR

Reply #42 - 06/28/10 at 20:06:04

Markus H. wrote on 06/27/10 at 10:27:16:
Do somebody know the max. current, which the nintendo will provide @PIN1 (VCC)?

I've found out some information on the internet.
The NDS holds two fuses (F1 and F2). I've seen some posts which claimed they are 500mA each. But other posts differ. F1 protects the battery charging process. F2 protects the remaining stuff.
The NDS itself consumes between 50mA and 200mA (depends on screen brightness mainly).

So there are max 300mA (to 450mA) left.

IP Logged

Olf

I love HDR

Reply #43 - 06/28/10 at 21:18:03

Markus H. wrote on 06/27/10 at 10:27:16:
do you have to use an "external" 5V for the Canon. Could you check, if the programming will works, if the 5V is disconnected. (This is the point Olf above-mentioned)

I think Luke already answered this question in an earlier post:

Luke Skaff wrote on 06/07/10 at 23:46:48:
Many cameras do not pull power off the 5V USB bus so it can be left disconnected.

Luke Skaff wrote on 06/08/10 at 19:23:57:
Have you tried leaving the USB power disconnected?It works in my testing. 

IP Logged

Luke Skaff

I love HDR

East Coast, USA
Reply #44 - 06/29/10 at 01:50:10

As Olf said the 5V power issue was discussed earlier in this thread; 5V is not needed for cameras.  I personally feel it would be a bad idea to pull power from the DS for the rare cases where you will need USB host power, you risk damaging DS since there is no clear specification of what it can safely supply.

A small two pin header could be put on the board for the rare cases where user power is needed; this would then pass through a linear LDO regulator to keep things simple and low cost.  The user could then use any battery in the 5-12V range for firmware updates from a flash drive, etc.  If USB power was needed for long periods of time or was used more often than a switching regulator could be used with user supplied power to increase efficiency but that is not needed for this case.

See my new thread here, I am not using 5V power in my design.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print