Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
3dsMax Vray Light Bugs (Read 3088 times)
jujubee
Ex Member

3dsMax Vray Light Bugs
12/31/09 at 03:31:06

I discovered a few bugs trying to load sIBLs into 3dsmax/Vray having created sIBLs using the latest sIBLedit (1.03.)

I think the sIBL 3dsMaxVray template doesn't support/parse the newer lighting methods introduced (due to the new naming convention.)

For example, the old method of naming a light in the .ibl file was:
Code:
[Sun]
SUNcolor = 254,253,255
SUNmulti = 1.000000
SUNu = 0.854000
SUNv = 0.320000 

The newer naming convention follows:
Code:
[Light1]
LIGHTname = "Sun"
LIGHTcolor = 254,253,255
LIGHTmulti = 1.000000
LIGHTu = 0.854000
LIGHTv = 0.320000 

If I used the newer sIBLedit which added the prefix "Light", and tried to use the sIBL_GUI (2.1.1) - all of the sIBLs with the newer "Light" prefix will not load into the Vray (Environments and Environment overrides.)

However, if I manually go into the .ibl file and replace "Light" with "Sun" and remove the line which reads "LIGHTname = "Sun"", the sIBLs will now load properly. I think this will also only currently support one light source named "Sun."

Also, some of Blochi's older sIBLs with a single direct light in them will still load because they retain the "Sun" prefix.

Lastly, if a sIBL does not have any direct light source at all (such as some interiors), the sIBLs will not load.

This problem currently affects some of the HDR-VFX libraries, some of Bob Groothius' libraries, all of my newer libraries (I'm considering renaming them to the old method - not sure how I'll handle scenes without direct light just yet), and interiors without any direct light source specified.

I think one temporary workaround if you only have a single direct light source is to rename the "Light" to "Sun+[etc]", and add a sun with an extremely low multiplier so that it is not seen. It's a hack, but I would prefer to avoid that method since there are other packages which can interpret these files properly.

The other new tags such as the following are ignored because they are not parsed:
Code:
GEOlat = 36.1641141772270200
GEOlong = -75.9972006082534790
Date = "2009:09:20"
Time = "11:00:00" 

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Re: 3dsMax Vray Light Bugs
Reply #1 - 01/04/10 at 11:50:16

I personally think, that there should be a difference between the sunlight and the multi lights.

It would be a good idea to have a toggle button in sIBLedit which let you decide if it's the sun or any other light - don't forget the sunlight have much much more power then a artificial light.

btw.. i don't understand the issue with sibls without an light: it doesn't load?

IP Logged

jujubee
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/04/10 at 14:58:15

Yes - it won't load a sIBL at all. Temporarily, I've added a Sun with an extremely low multiplier (0.000010) to get the ones without a light to load.

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/04/10 at 16:46:43

sIBLGui doesn't check IF there are values for the sun.

So the output maxscript hangs when it comes to generate nothing Wink

A solution is to change the template in the line  137 from

if  (createSun  == "1") then

to

if  (createSun  == "1" AND SUNx >= 0 ) then

this Bug relates to sIBLgui and should be fixed later

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print