Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Linear Workflow & sIBL (Read 3730 times)
bob
Ex Member

Linear Workflow & sIBL
10/31/09 at 14:31:12

Goodday!,

A very hot topic on the moment is the Linear Workflow. Try to learn something about it because for me personally it pretty acacadabra Wink

The lightwave forum there is in interesting thread about this subject with a nice explanation video

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=931173#post931173

Now wondering how would the sIBL format behave when you have a Linear workflow. The BG image is I think non linear. Think that the tonemapping part is the main issue.

Had contact with Photomatix

"So, if you want your tonemapped image to be in linear mode, you will
have to either change its bit-depth back to 32-bit after HDR
conversion in Photoshop, or use the Photomatix Tone Mapping plug-in to
tone map the image, and make sure not to change the bit-depth
afterwards."

With that in mind that would make the sIBL pretty big (mb size).

So just wondering, not an expert on this topic. So please forgive me if telling here bull$%#@.

Thanks!

Bob

IP Logged

Gerardo

Re: Linear Workflow & sIBL
Reply #1 - 11/01/09 at 03:14:50

Hello Bob,  

What Photomatix people says is generally correct, I think. but things can be better in the case of Lightwave.  That is to say, we can skip that part and save RAM and disk space.  The trick is to perform the linearization within LW in such a way the render engine takes the image in its floating point (FP) domain.  If we gonna use the image in Surface Editor, this can be done in the Nodal system.  If we gonna use the image in Textured Environment, the Node Texture Editor is the way to go as well.      

The Linear Studio Setup of the sIBL version for LW leaves all the images without any gamma adjustment. All FP images are assumed linear, and the big tonemapped image has no gamma adjustment in the Image Editor precisely because the risk of quantizations in 8-bits images.  But what it would be nice is to agree a consensus solution to set up the linearizations automatically. There are several ways and tools (native and third party) to already make this, I think.

Cheers,

Gerardo

IP Logged

bob
Ex Member

Re: Linear Workflow & sIBL
Reply #2 - 11/01/09 at 09:14:49

Thank you very much for your information Gerardo. That helps a lot!

Bob

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print