Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Win32 OLE Server (Read 27047 times)
Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Re: Win32 OLE Server
Reply #15 - 10/06/09 at 21:26:05

Hello Again Smiley

You need to register 3dsmax as an OLE Server, my 3dsmax 2010 wasn't and Connection Failed the same like you. There are some Windows Registry files around or you can use this Maxscript written by Adam Pletcher :

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=133696

Here is the related post :

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5421997&postcount=212

After doing that it should work again Smiley

KS

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/07/09 at 09:03:46

Everyone can check if the server is registered by closing 3dsmax and opening siblgui trying to export an sibl to max.
It should open 3dsmax automatically.

IP Logged

jujubee
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/20/09 at 14:47:50

I'm getting the same error running Win7 and 2010 x64 with latest SP installed. I also ran the attached script and even rebooted Windows figuring that it put some entries into the registry. It won't launch 3dsmax.
Code:
Remote Connection On Win32 OLE Server 'MAX.Application' Failed! 

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/20/09 at 15:30:07

So if there is no OLE server registered, you can't connect to max Smiley

Have a look at this thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3808524&postcount=26

You have to change the maxversion number and the path and you should be done.

btw.. it looks like you or Autodesk have screw up your 3dsmax install, because the Autodesk Installer for max2008 registers the service automatically for you. ...maybe it's also a limitation of 64bit or win7 OS.

IP Logged

jujubee
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/20/09 at 16:27:53

Unfortunately, some of those values do not exist and I'm a little afraid to enter them when they don't already exist.

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/20/09 at 18:01:44

Quote:
Unfortunately, some of those values do not exist and I'm a little afraid to enter them when they don't already exist.

... that's why you have to register the OLE server. Wink

IP Logged

jujubee
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 10/20/09 at 22:43:13

Okay. So I was missing one entry path and corrected it. I've attached a registry entry to this thread in case anyone is running 2k10 and x64. As always, BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY. I don't want to be held responsible if anything goes wrong lol.

Just extract it and double-click the .reg file - you should be good to go. If you're running a different version, just change the 12 using notepad/wordpad. If you're running x32 on a x64 OS for some odd reason, you'll probably need to change the file path to the Max app.

I should note:
1) If you attempt to Launch Max from the sIBL GUI by loading in a HDR, it will launch Max and may still give you a OLE 32 Error. However, if you already have Max open, it will work/load the HDRs fine.
2) I think the loader script should automatically enter the registry entries for someone dumb like me. There's probably plenty of people who install this, try to test it out, and just give up.

3dsmax-2010-x64-OLE-server.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Jeff Hanna

Curious Apprentice

Reply #22 - 11/10/09 at 04:02:30

Hi,

I'm a new sIBL user, I found it a few days ago while researching image based lighting to generate HDR format textures for a game. I've been coding MaxScript for close to a decade now and understand the hairpulling that getting the COM server up and running can cause.

I branched the sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax project on GitHub and modified the sIBL_OLE_ExecutionCommand.ms startup script. My new version dynamically builds and merges the proper Registry information, registers four standard external file I/O methods, and declares and registers the ExecuteSIBLLoaderScript() function.

I included the four standard file I/O functions because registerOLEInterface() is a dumb method. Every time you call it it forgets what has previously been registered and only remembers what you have just asked it to register. By doing it the way I did the COM server gets up and running with as many known functions registered as possible.

If the maintainers (or anyone else) want to test and accept my changes you can find them on GitHub at http://github.com/JeffHanna/sIBL_GUI_For_3dsMax

I've also taken a first pass at cleaning up the 3ds Max Scanline and MentalRay sIBL_GUI templates. While the MaxScript code they generated was ok it was kind of repetitive and not necessarily making the best use of available MaxScript core functionality. My forked sIBL_Framework can be found on GitHub at http://github.com/JeffHanna/sIBL_Framework. Again, if the maintainers want to test/merge my code in to the mainline, please do.

Jeff Hanna
« Last Edit: 11/10/09 at 11:52:24 by Jeff Hanna »  

IP Logged

Dschaga
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 11/10/09 at 11:17:41

Wonderfull!!!
Just what we needed
Smiley

btw .. welcome on board!

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #24 - 11/10/09 at 20:13:22

Hi Jeff,

First, a big Welcome !

Second, Thanks to giving some of your time to help us Smiley

Third, I'll do the merge tomorrow, I'm currently really flooded, and have put sIBL_GUI in maintenance mode ( meaning I'll fix bugs, when they appears, but I'll not introduce new features etc for a few months, until things get slower for me ).

I'll need to also check a bit with Git, because as I was alone, I had the habit to do some stuffs not really clean when you work with others ( rebase, etc ).

Anyway thanks again Smiley

KS

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #25 - 11/11/09 at 12:36:50

Hi,

I merged our respective Branchs, pushed everything back on GitHub, and released everything on HDRLabs Server ! The new Templates should be available from sIBL_GUI Online Updater, and the 3dsMax Startup Script from here : http://kelsolaar.hdrlabs.com/?dir=./sIBL_Framework/3ds%20Max/Startup%20Script

KS

IP Logged

Jeff Hanna

Curious Apprentice

Reply #26 - 11/11/09 at 21:41:37

Did integrating up from my branch work ok? I ask because last night I ended up making some local changes to the sIBL_GUI app. Currently sIBL_GUI wants to store its settings file(s) and templates in the installation folder. On Windows Vista and/or 7 this is an issue as only administrators have access to write there. I'm adjusting sIBL_GUI so that, when on Windows, it stores that data in a <home>\documents\sIBL_GUI folder.

My adjustments are not ready for release yet. I'd hate to go much further, though, if you are having any issues on GitHub integrating my work.

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #27 - 11/11/09 at 23:12:17

It's something I have planned doing, but it's part of much bigger Refactoring Plan, I didn't started yet. There are a lot of things to consider with the settings, especially with Mac Os X and Linux. I'm not really hot to do that now because I don't have time Smiley

KS

IP Logged

Jeff Hanna

Curious Apprentice

Reply #28 - 11/12/09 at 00:53:04

I figured OSX and Linux would be different. That's why I put an OS conditional around my changes. I can test on Windows and OS X, to a limited extent. The only 3D package I have on my Mac is Blender.

If you don't want to merge things to the mainline I'm fine with that. I'm just getting sIBL_GUI fitted into my OS and workflow at work..

IP Logged

Kel Solaar

Curious Apprentice

Reply #29 - 11/12/09 at 08:25:08

Hi Jeff Smiley

No I don't have anything against your tweaks, they are logical, I planned to put Settings / Log Files / Export in User Space, as for the Templates it's really more complicated since they are part of the application, a bit like plugins, they can of course be in the User Space, but there are a lot of stuff to consider doing that ( Installation and Deployement on the different OS, what happen when you need to Update, etc ).

Those questions are part of what I'll try to answer when I refactor / improve the code, I have kind of roadmap, with a Mini Plan with features I'll do for sIBL_GUI 2.5, this pan will comprise those User Spaces needs.

And after that I have my Big Plan where I'll probably rewrite 90% of the Software, it will be certainly Python 3 and I have eventually thought about changing my Qt Bind with PySide. I'm learning tricks and stuff everyday in Python, there are things I did, I would not do now or not the same way.

As for the merge, I think it will no happen with a release immediatly, because I'm too flooded and pressured at work,  and when I get home, I don't have the willing to spend more time coding my stuff. But I want to let you know that I'm f$$king happy that you do that code tweak to fit your needs.
That's why sIBL_GUI is open source, even if legally I have to put the code since I'm using Qt with it's GPL license, I could have bought a license and keep everything for me, price is a bit expensive, but when you spend so much time on something, it's affordable in the end Smiley
No I have thought about this for long enough, Open Source is the good way Smiley Everybody can fit the tool to his needs, if I don't wanna continue, someone can take the flag etc, and the project don't disappear in Shadows Smiley

Keep it up !

KS

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print