Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Bracketing Controller (Read 171552 times)
rpm3dinc
Ex Member

Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller
Reply #465 - 06/18/11 at 15:39:00

One thing I did notice, and maybe its just a setting I am using or not using, but when I bracket shots from the camera (without the Promote), The camera labels the photo EV steps, meaning, in iPhoto it says 0EV, -2EV, 2EV... But when I use the promote, it only has the shutter speeds 1/40, 1/125, 1/250, etc... 

Is there a setting to get it show the EV steps?  it makes it allot easier than going through 1,200 photos trying to figure out what photo belongs to what bracket... even though they are taken in order, its still difficult to see where one begins and ends...

Or am I just not thinking about it right?

It might just be a function of shooting the HDR shots in Manual mode, since Bracketing in usually done in Aperture mode, maybe because the camera has to be in Manual to use the promote it there-fore doesn't label the EV steps?

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Re: Promote Control firmware update
Reply #466 - 06/21/11 at 04:35:08

Quote:
While trying to do firmware update I keep getting a message saying that I should not be going through a hub but directly to the p.c. which is what I am doing.  Has this happened to anyone else and how did you overcome it.

Pat from Rosebud in Australia

Pat,

Best thing to do in such cases is to file a support ticket by clicking "Support" on our website - that's the fastest way to receive help. Do you hold Mode button down while connecting your Promote Control? If yes, does the screen stay blank after connection? It should, otherwise there is a malfunction or the Mode key is not held down. If it still doesn't work, let us know and we will help you out. Thanks!

IP Logged

Kelly Bellis
Ex Member

Reply #467 - 06/25/11 at 19:01:29

Whew! This is quite the thread!! ... and I guess the place to post such things as the suggestion to consider changing the battery cover plate's screw. In the image above, there's a D-ring built into the head of the screw on the battery cover plate to a GPS receiver (Ashtech ProMark2) that folds down flush when not in use.

This is one design modification that isn't a big deal if it is panned, but one of the first ideas that landed after opening the box yesterday afternoon containing my new controller.

I still have to catch up on reading this thread (only up to page 4 (September 2009), but wanted to post this idea while fresh.

Max may have already passed this idea onto Arty (and now see after getting through this behemoth of a thread) many others have done likewise, and is one that I came up with even before the Promote arrived after having studied the users manual and waiting for this gem to arrive from B&H. In addition to the methods already afforded the user (SETUP (9 of 23) - firmware v2.19 beta) Highlights, Mid Exposure, Shadows, allow the user to enter the metered extremes of the range being shot in terms of ISO, f-stop and shutter speed; the desired EV step interval OR the desired number of steps/ exposures thereby eliminating the trial and error approach. Additionally, if the camera manufactures somehow make such data available through this interface, engineer the entry of such data directly from the camera itself, while also allowing user to manually enter f-stop and shutter speed values. Correct me if I'm wrong (always PLEASE), but it seems implicit that the ISO value is already recognized by the Promote Controller.

And that leads me to how I found this thread in the first place as I went searching for how I might be able to utilize the wireless remote that I already have.

Question:
Is there an N3 adapter that would go on the end of the receiver-to-camera cable like the one shown below and into the Promote?

Thank you for any reply.

Kind regards,

Kelly
« Last Edit: 06/26/11 at 17:15:04 by N/A »  

IP Logged

Kelly Bellis
Ex Member

Reply #468 - 06/25/11 at 19:12:26

... or should I just get something like this ???

... or this
(available at ebay)

What are the specifications on the type of device that will allow remote triggering of the Promote? i.e., RS-80E3, RS-60E3, etc.
« Last Edit: 06/25/11 at 20:15:20 by N/A »  

IP Logged

Kelly Bellis
Ex Member

Reply #469 - 06/26/11 at 11:30:36

Okay, took it in the field yesterday but am unsure: What is the expected behavior of the mirror lock-up feature?

Having in the past used Canon's LiveView while shooting panos so as to have the mirror locked up and not come down until time out or user interrupt event, I was very disappointed and confused that the mirror kept flapping away for each and every exposure. Is there any way that the mirror can go up, wait its defined delay before beginning the series and stay up through their entirety and only then at the completion of the series drop back down? I thought I read somewhere here that LiveView should not be used with the Promote. Or am I missing something here:

1) having enabled mirror lockup on the camera (Canon 40D) and turned it on in HDR Mode of the Promote
2) am using the separate shutter release cable
3) SETUP (3 of 23) Shutter cable release frame delay: Off
4) SETUP (4 of 23) USB cable release frame delay: 500 ms
5) SETUP (7 of 23) Mirror Lock-up delay: 2 sec
6) SETUP (10 of 23)  Enable camera settings check/sync: Yes

As mentioned earlier this is using firmware v2.19 beta.

Thanks for any reply.

IP Logged

Kelly Bellis
Ex Member

Reply #470 - 06/26/11 at 13:38:33

Quote:
Castillonis wrote on 10/26/09 at 11:20:07:
Discocandy,  Thanks for showing us your 360 set up for the NN3.

Arty,  Steve who created the PanoCamera and has a Promote suggested that you add the "walk away" delay that the PanoCamera has.  It is a delay before starting the capture to allow for you to get away from the gear or allow things to settle after disturbing the camera by touching the Promote.  The default value could be zero seconds.

Yep, we have that in the works for the HDR. I wish we had 2 more lines on the LCD though, it'd make placing things so much easier.

Was this idea abandoned or just lost in the works?

It sounds like such a setting could be added in the SETUP line up if real estate was short in the HDR mode's screen and other users really needed it.

Speaking personally, this hands off issue for me is better addressed using a wireless trigger, and just to follow up on that, I've ordered the E3 variety from the eBay merchant that I linked to earlier in this thread. Trying to find an N3 to E3 adapter was almost fruitless and without cutting and soldering something I could see would cost almost as much as the $18 rig from the eBay store.

IP Logged

Kelly Bellis
Ex Member

Reply #471 - 06/26/11 at 14:12:35

Quote:
Castillonis wrote on 10/26/09 at 18:59:55:
Our imager firmware scrolls the menu list on the lcd. It also has submenus such as options and expert options to keep the scrolled list from becoming too long

Hmm. Maybe that scroll is a good idea after all...

And Stoney's idea was excellent - is that still in development?

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #472 - 06/27/11 at 18:13:32

Hi Kelly,

We have recently started selling Phottix Cleon II C6 for wireless remote start:

http://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-Control-Wireless-Remote-Sensor.ht...

That thing is proven to be perfectly compatible. Otherwise, any wireless trigger capable of working with a Canon Rebel would work just fine.

I heard your MLU questions were answered via a support ticket, but for the record - MLU on 40D cannot work any other way but flap up/down with each shot, we simply do not have that level of control over the camera (I wish I did, I'd have done a lot of other tweaks to it then).

Speaking of delays, you could use a wireless trigger, or set up a 1-shot HDR time-lapse. Time-lapse mode has an optional start delay, and after some discussion we have agreed here that instead of adding another option for start delay on HDR screen, one could use TL start delay if required... or use a wireless start.

As for scrolling, I can't comment on that right now - we are doing other feature updates, including working over focus stacking mode, so it might take us a while to implement extra options. I personally am in favor of KISS principle (Keep It Short and Simple), but of course won't hesitate to throw in an option or two, if necessary Wink

IP Logged

Kelly Bellis
Ex Member

Reply #473 - 06/27/11 at 18:20:29

Hi Arty,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, Max did reply via the ticket interface/ email.

If the mirror is able to be locked up indefinitely when in LiveView or in Manual sensor cleaning, what prevents it from being controlled by the Promote unit?

Kind regards,

Kelly

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #474 - 07/18/11 at 19:28:15

Quote:
Hi Arty,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, Max did reply via the ticket interface/ email.

If the mirror is able to be locked up indefinitely when in LiveView or in Manual sensor cleaning, what prevents it from being controlled by the Promote unit?

The camera itself of course has full control over the mirror. But what it lets us do over USB is limited. It's like a language - we have a word for "take a picture", but there is no set of words it would understand for "raise mirror, take 5 pictures, lower the mirror". That's up to camera manufacturer to implement in their firmware. If I were Canon, I'd probably open pretty much anything to developers, and let them have it.

Arty

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #475 - 07/21/11 at 01:47:33

OK, Arty just posted some totally awesome news, that deserve a new thread.

IP Logged

tecnica
Ex Member

Reply #476 - 10/07/11 at 11:36:34

Question #1

I have a question pertaining to this product. I noticed from the instruction manual that is says you have to set the camera to MANUAL mode in order for the device to work.

However your images when looking at them using adobe bridge or lightroom will not display the EV only the shutter speed.

So how would you know which EV is what when working in photomatix? How do you folks overcome this?

Question #2

Another question I have is has anyone been using the promote with a Nikon D5000? Any issues to report?

Question #3

in regards to the shutter speeds does the device calculate the shutter speeds based on the EV stepping or would I have to know the shutter speeds I want ahead of time? Reason being in Aperture Priority on camera it calculates the shutter speed automatically

IP Logged

slightlypearshaped
Ex Member

Reply #477 - 11/12/11 at 06:21:16

Quote:
Something you may find interesting.

550D is actually fully supported. You just need to change the setting "Automatic Exposure Mode Control" (Change this to yes)

It works with the shutter release cable for long exposures and MLU.

Hey all first post here.
Spittle can you clarify this for me, are you saying that the canon N2 cable from Promote actually DOES work with the 550d with the Promote Control plugged into the USB?  I'm on the verge of buying both control and cable so would love to know if this is true as its contrary to what is stated on their website.

Thanks in advance m8 : )

IP Logged

spittle
Ex Member

Reply #478 - 11/12/11 at 10:44:35

It worked perfectly for me with a 550D and the additional cable. Mirror lock up worked, so did automatic switching to bulb for long exposures.

It also shot frames much faster than my 400D.

I'd love to know whether the focus stacking works with this model.

IP Logged

slightlypearshaped
Ex Member

Reply #479 - 11/13/11 at 00:20:35

phew, awesome cheers mate.
I placed the order for both seconds after posting.  I get like a little kid when it comes to this stuff.

If you mean focus stacking on 550d, I'll be trying that out.  Just a fair wait for it to be delivered obviously.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 
Send Topic Print