Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Bracketing Controller (Read 87502 times)
Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller
Reply #390 - 01/18/11 at 08:34:50

Bill, also... I'm assuming you:

1. Have the camera in MANUAL MODE on the dial
2. Manual focus
3. Single Shot Release (not continuous)
4. EV steps at 1/3rd steps (usually the camera default)
5. AEB off

Anything, but the above and you're sure to get strange results using the promote control.

IP Logged

wbmcl
Ex Member

Reply #391 - 01/21/11 at 22:22:13

Thanks again for the tech support, Michael.

My Promote is set to 500ms (fastest).

Have the camera in MANUAL MODE on the dial - check.
Manual focus - check.
Single Shot Release (not continuous) - check.
EV steps at 1/3rd steps (usually the camera default) - check.
AEB off - check.

I too have experienced "weirdness" when deviating from the above, typically extra firings, or non-firings. I've learned to effectively coddle the Promote to get the most out of it, by implementing your above list. But speed I can not get.

I'd love to hear from other XTi (or XT/XSi) owners if they too experience a shot approximately every 3 seconds, even when the shutter speeds are set by the Promote at 1/500, 1/250, 1/125, 1/60, 1/30, 1/15, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 (which I just tested.)

Regards,

Bill M.

IP Logged

discocandy
Ex Member

Reply #392 - 01/24/11 at 21:15:32

I had around the same with my 50D
It was due to slow compactflash cards in my case. bought a 600 speed and now it is bloody fast!!
No missfires anymore.

IP Logged

Chris Fessel
Ex Member

Reply #393 - 01/26/11 at 20:18:40

Hi,
I wonder if someone can give my a pointer to a solution to this problem:

PR + Shutter cable. Works fine for days, then (for no I reason I can think of) the communication when using the shutter release cable fails.

- Checked the cables, look OK to the eye.
- Shot HDR with the PR + shutter cable combination only so far, so no change of settings (actually I saved the settings to a custom position anyway). But I checked everything over and over as well.
- Checked the camera (5D2) with the Canon remote and it works (= socket for PR shutter release cable is OK)
- Reset the PR
No good. As soon as the shutter cable (+ appropriate settings) come into play I see the display of the Canon changing the exposure times but no shutter is fired.
Using the PR with USB connection alone works fine (but is no use to me as I tend to expose in the over 30" range).

Support doesn't point to a faulty cable but suggests to downgrade the Firmware to v1.8 (although, as mentioned, everything worked fine in the past with the recently purchased PR and Firmware 2).

That's why I hope someone here can suggest something I might have overlooked so far.
Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks a lot in advance,
chris
« Last Edit: 02/17/11 at 11:01:36 by N/A »  

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #394 - 01/26/11 at 22:02:29

yikes. Doesn't sound good.
It happened to me in the past, that my Nikon USB cable kept sliding out of the camera while shooting. This had to be really pushed in hard to hold the connection, and because the plug points downwards from a Nodal Ninja, it kept sliding off. I ended up using a rubber band to hold it all together.

Not sure if this helps, your problems sounds more severe actually.

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #395 - 01/27/11 at 06:51:44

Blochi wrote on 01/26/11 at 22:02:29:
yikes. Doesn't sound good.
It happened to me in the past, that my Nikon USB cable kept sliding out of the camera while shooting. This had to be really pushed in hard to hold the connection.

Not sure if this helps, your problems sounds more severe actually.

Ditto here Christian.

His problem sounds more severe for me too.  Though I've had issues with lost communication with a D3, T2i and 60D.  Usually just took turning off and then back on the camera or promote control or both solved the issue.  Annoying, but was always able to get back on track.

IP Logged

rpm3dinc
Ex Member

Reply #396 - 01/28/11 at 03:05:11

I just got my Promote, and I use a Nikon D90.  While I am waiting for Promote Systems to release the Shutter Cable, I decided to attempt a Indoor test shot (no the greatest test, but wanted to get used to the Promote).

I set my D90 to a single shot mode, and made sure the Ev step was 1/3.  Then I moved the dial to Aperture mode, focused and then flipped the dial to manual and the camera to Manual focus.  Then I set the Promote to 0.3EV, 1/80 (camera showed 80 shutter (Nikons don't show 1/80)... and then setup 5 frames, and pressed start.

Camera fired off 5 shots, however upon review even though I can clearly see the shutter speed adjust inbetween shots, the visual shots do not seem to be really any different than the first shot taken... "Could be the lighting I am in, but as this was a quick test I wasn't expecting much than what I normally see with 3 brackets..".

Perhaps I am doing something wrong?

I am so used to using a full 2 stops between 3 bracketed shots I might not visibly be able to see the difference between the shots since I am only using 1/3 step instead of 2 full steps between shots, but it still seems like something is not working right...

The flash was firing with each shot to, which obviously ruins the exposure and Stop Compensation, so I turned off the TTL and Flash exposure metering in the settings on the camera...
« Last Edit: 01/28/11 at 05:18:25 by N/A »  

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #397 - 01/28/11 at 06:30:19

Before trying to address anything else... why did you have the flash armed?

I'm assuming you had a speedlite on top the D90?  If not why would you have flipped up the flash on the D90 itself.  That makes no sense.  The promote control would not initiate any flash firing so I'm assuming you did.

Also, you answered your own question.  If you did a 3aeb with 2EV steps that of course is dramatically wider (in dynamic range) than taking 5 shots at 1/3rd EV jumps.  Its basic math.

IP Logged

rpm3dinc
Ex Member

Reply #398 - 01/28/11 at 11:09:55

I didn't raise the flash at all, it auto fired with each shot from the Promote, so I had to go into the settings and turn off TTL Flash Exposure Metering. 

My Flash has always popped up when the camera thought it needed it, though I do turn it off most of the time manually by simply pressing the Flash button. 

I assume by changing the TTL setting that the flash won't auto-fire anymore unless I press the flash button. 

D90 is brand new, was using a D70, so still getting used to some of the features that are new.

IP Logged

Joergen Geerds
YaBB Newbies

Wide is not wide enough

New York
Reply #399 - 01/31/11 at 00:15:13

I have the same failure problem (PR2.0 and 5Dm2 FW 2.08)... it mostly works in the beginning, but after a 200 exposures PR starts failing... no good. the only work-around is going into live view and use only USB mode, and unplug the shutter cable. it somehow looks to me the PR software has problems firing the shutter pin.

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #400 - 01/31/11 at 15:38:41

Quote:
- Shot HDR with the PR + shutter cable combination only so far, so no change of settings (actually I saved the settings to a custom position anyway).

I missed that note about your saving to custom settings.  My understanding is that the camera should only be in "M" mode.

But I also see your issues are with the 5DM2 and now another post about issues with the 5DM2 as well.  Could be a conflict only Arty can comment on and you need to communicate directly with promote systems, not here to get that addressed.

IP Logged

Joergen Geerds
YaBB Newbies

Wide is not wide enough

New York
Reply #401 - 01/31/11 at 21:37:52

Michael James wrote on 01/31/11 at 15:38:41:
But I also see your issues are with the 5DM2 and now another post about issues with the 5DM2 as well.  Could be a conflict only Arty can comment on and you need to communicate directly with promote systems, not here to get that addressed.

It is filed with Arty and his tech support. it would be great if they could get to the bottom of this strange bug, and find out on what side of the cable the problem is.

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #402 - 02/02/11 at 06:32:25

Joergen Geerds wrote on 01/31/11 at 21:37:52:
It is filed with Arty and his tech support. it would be great if they could get to the bottom of this strange bug, and find out on what side of the cable the problem is.

Do follow up when they get back to you.  We all need to know.

I was an early adopter and found out the hard way that it didn't work in HDR Mode with the original 5D.  They hadn't tested it yet and found that out and changed their website after the fact.

Thankfully for me the D3 was my main camera so no substantial impact.
...but Mike Seymour of FXPHD and fxguide.com bought the promote control based on my recommendation and had an old 5D.  He and I both found out at the same time (the hard way) it hadn't been tested with that camera despite them having it posted as a supported camera on their site.  It won't work with the old 5D in HDR Mode.  C'est la vie.

Sounds like there is a potential that something is now in conflict with the 5DM2.  So keep us abreast.

All that said, I'm so thankful that Promote Systems created this product.  I could have never have pulled off shoots with the in camera AEB of my 60D or even my D3 without it!!!

I shot all but one shot from this shoot with a 60D using a promote control:
http://www.digitalcoastimage.com/30A/index.html

IP Logged

Steve Chapman
Ex Member

Reply #403 - 02/04/11 at 21:50:09

Great shots. I just saw this CEO portrait on a news item:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/04/asus-chairman-jonney-shih-promises-secret-wea...

and thought "really? They paid CEO money for this?" It should look like your photo's, Michael.

FYI, try the Promote & "5D Mark 01" with noise reduction turned off, the poor over-stressed digic chip can't pay attention to USB commands while running the equivalent of a photoshop filter before saving.

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #404 - 02/05/11 at 07:56:51

Quote:
Great shots. I just saw this CEO portrait on a news item:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/04/asus-chairman-jonney-shih-promises-secret-wea...

and thought "really? They paid CEO money for this?" It should look like your photo's, Michael.

Thanks for the kind remarks, but that CEO shot is quite different from what I do.

However, the fact the shooter cared not that his foot lined up with the bench and a half dozen other no-no's.. its clear the CEO cares more about the hype he's pontificating than the look he's portraying Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 34
Send Topic Print