Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Bracketing Controller (Read 81571 times)
kirkt
Ex Member

Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller
Reply #375 - 12/01/10 at 17:13:07

Holy cow!

I finally took the plunge and purchased a Promote Control and cable last night (Tuesday night, 11/30). As a Mac user, I was preparing myself for the adventure of VMWare Fusion + WinXP + USB + Firmware update.  Then I checked in on this forum and, BAM!, a Mac updater.  Seriously?

Sweet!

My unit should arrive this Friday and I will give the updater a test, along with the features added in 2.0 paired with my 5DMkII.

Just downloaded the 2.0 User Manual so I can hit the ground running.

Damn I love this forum. Thanks Arty.  Smiley

Kirk

IP Logged

geopal
Ex Member

Reply #376 - 12/02/10 at 08:53:15

Wow Arty!
Great news!
panoramic HDR timelapse!!! wholly cow! Insane!
1 remote, 1 hub, several cameras??

I am fine with AA batteries from the store, haven't had the need to recharge via USB, but can be handy sometimes I guess.
Best regards,G

IP Logged

kirkt
Ex Member

Reply #377 - 12/02/10 at 22:09:25

Oh...man...this...is...awesome.

Got the Promote today - simple, easy to use, fantastic tool.  I read the user manual last night - I want to let Arty and his colleagues know that it is one of the most concise and effective manuals I have ever read for a gizmo.

Can't wait to start putting it through its paces.

Kirk

IP Logged

jasonhuang1115
Ex Member

Firmware upgrade issue?
Reply #378 - 12/04/10 at 18:19:14

Hi, Arty and other Promote Control fellows,

I ran into a firmware update issue and hope to hear some comments.
I was able to upgrade the firmware on my older laptop with 32-bit Windows XP, But today I tried to upgrade the firmware 2.0 on my workstation with 64-bit Windows XP, I kept getting this error
"The procedure entry point _except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll"

I follow the exactly same procedure mentioned in the Manual.
1. After installing the firmware update application,
2. I hold the Mode button to plug the USB cable into the workstation.
3. When prompted for installing the driver, I clicked "yes". (BUT, I didn't see the Promote Control listed in the "Safely Remove Hardware" as it was on my 32-bit Windows XP laptop.)
4. Then I tried to upgrade the firmware through the application and got the error message.

Any idea on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Jason

IP Logged

geopal
Ex Member

Reply #379 - 12/10/10 at 10:37:28

Jason,
you should better open a ticket in the support section of Promotesystems. I bet Arty is busy and doesn't read often here... And Max is prettyy fast at helping out!
G

IP Logged

jasonhuang1115
Ex Member

Reply #380 - 12/10/10 at 14:08:38

Quote:
Jason,
you should better open a ticket in the support section of Promotesystems. I bet Arty is busy and doesn't read often here... And Max is prettyy fast at helping out!
G

Thanks for the suggestion, G. I will go open a ticket.  Smiley

IP Logged

geopal
Ex Member

Reply #381 - 12/14/10 at 07:19:07

Just for your own interest, something that everyone knows but...
I had an indicator on my Promote saying battery low, when I opened the back cover to replace the batteries I was unpleasantly surprised to see that the ones inside had leaked! Huh  Shocked
So, after almost a year being inside, just open up the cover to check the batteries from time to time, to avoid even bigger damage to the unit!
Best, G

IP Logged

agonzo
Ex Member

Reply #382 - 12/18/10 at 23:13:06

[b][b] [smiley=smiley.gif][size=12] :o[/size][/b][/b]

IP Logged

agonzo
Ex Member

Reply #383 - 12/18/10 at 23:22:27

Arty, Just received my new Promote Control as a new early Xmas gift from my wife. WOW...It is fantastic.One question.Am I to believe that with night photography when one area is measured for exposure that when any shots in the 'Bulb' range will automatically be calculated and exposed for?

IP Logged

Dudley Warner
Ex Member

Reply #384 - 01/01/11 at 15:47:24

I just purchased the Promote Control for use with my Canon 5D Mk II, and I am really pleased.  It works as advertised, and the only issues I initially had were either user error or were addressed quickly by the Promote technical assistance.

What is the best choice for a wireless controller that is compatible for the Promote Control?  The ones mentioned in this topic area seem difficult to get.

Thanks -

IP Logged

wbmcl
Ex Member

Reply #385 - 01/12/11 at 04:29:04

Hi all - or is it, "helllooo ... hellloooo ... hellloooo"?

I use a Rebel XTi with the Promote Control, and try as I might, I haven't been able to speed up the shot taking beyond the standard speed as provided by the default setup. I do have the appropriate shutter cable, but I have yet to achieve a speed improvement upon enabling the cable in the firmware, as the video here shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v4MOQbWMPk#t=05m18s

Is this speed a by-product of the Nikon D3 in the video, and has anyone else seen a speed increase using an XTi or any other camera, and if so, how?

Regards,

Bill M.

IP Logged

LostInInaka
YaBB Newbies

I love HDR

Reply #386 - 01/12/11 at 14:05:58

Would be awesome to be able to use other triggers (sound, light, etc) with this remote as well

being able to plug it in to the optional port it should be a simple(?) firmware update to implement such features I would think.

Argh....its the one thing OCC does that I like, but this promote can shoot at faster speeds...

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #387 - 01/12/11 at 21:54:28

Quote:
I do have the appropriate shutter cable, but I have yet to achieve a speed improvement upon enabling the cable in the firmware, as the video here shows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v4MOQbWMPk#t=05m18s

Is this speed a by-product of the Nikon D3 in the video, and has anyone else seen a speed increase using an XTi or any other camera, and if so, how?

Regards,

Bill M.

Bill, your FPS will never be faster than the XTi can do natively.

I created those youtube videos about 18 months ago and never thought they'd be used so extensively, hence why I didn't cover some topics such as FPS.  The speed you are hearing in that part of the video is a result of the D3's fast FPS capture rate.  It can capture 9fps natively.

Also, I did those videos prior to all the firmware updates, hence why no HDR Timelapse is discussed.

If I redo videos I'll post them here on HDR Labs somewhere and would upload to whatever YouTube/Vimeo account Christian wants me to upload them to.

Cheers.

IP Logged

wbmcl
Ex Member

Reply #388 - 01/18/11 at 04:01:25

Michael James wrote on 01/12/11 at 21:54:28:
Bill, your FPS will never be faster than the XTi can do natively.

Thanks for the quick response, Michael. Some followups:

Why does your D3 improve its speed when the USB cable is installed and enabled, while mine does not?

Without the Promote, my camera can fire 3 fps, relevantly, when I employ burst mode and AEB. With the Promote, I get - at best - a frame every two seconds (or so - obviously slower when the shutter is held open longer.) This makes it tough when shooting a scene with clouds.

There don't appear to be many user settings that can hasten the process of the Promote but for, perhaps, two:

a) Mirror lock-up delay (not applicable here)
b) Shutter cable release frame delay
c) USB cable release frame delay

I have both the USB and shutter cables, so (b) is not relevant, according to the manual. And I have the user setting "off" (fastest) for (c).

I love the Promote, but can't understand why its bracket shooting is so much slower than the built-in Canon's.

Bill M.

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #389 - 01/18/11 at 08:29:49

Bill, what is your USB cable release frame delay set to?  You'll find it under "Number 4 of 20" under the setup menu.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 34
Send Topic Print