Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Bracketing Controller (Read 88009 times)
Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller
Reply #345 - 07/23/10 at 08:42:21

Blochi wrote on 07/23/10 at 08:16:21:
However, I'm pretty sure it could be solved in firmware.

I don't know if it was here or personal email that Arty mentioned that as an alternative.

I seem to recall he thought he had fixed the issue.  At least he could not recreate the problem despite mine continuing. It could be he increased SETUP #4 to 1500ms or higher and then wasn't hitting the issue.

However, I shoot in dungeons at times and the shutter speeds get waaaaaaaaaay slow and there are always skipped frames during the over exposures.  And it has nothing to do with the buffer.  That I'm 100% confirmed sure of.

IP Logged

sealz
Ex Member

Reply #346 - 07/23/10 at 09:45:46

Michael James wrote on 07/23/10 at 08:34:50:
It never got to Mike Seymour.I was actually supposed to be teaching class 8, 9 and 10.

The latter end of the course left me a bit hungry for more in depth material on HDRs and integration with CG. The demo on projecting the 360 hdr onto geometry was fairly rushed. I put it into practice and felt there surely could be a better way of lining up the IBL feedback node with a spherical projector node. Maybe it was just his example that needed guess and check.

IP Logged

snoleoprd
Ex Member

Reply #347 - 08/04/10 at 19:40:44

I have been using my Promote now for about a week. Great device, love using it with my 5DMark II. I have found an issue with the 1DM4 and that it will not set the camera to bulb when taking longer than a 20 second exposure, I have emailed Arty and he is working on a new firmware to fix that, great customer service.

Another feature that I thought would be useful and that is at the end of an hdr sequence it leaves the camera at the last exposure settings, and this is the longest exposure, I think it would be nice for it to change the camera back to the "middle" exposure setting so that makes it easier to remeter the scene and then start the sequence again.

Cool product and great customer service.

Alan

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #348 - 08/04/10 at 21:42:24

Quote:
I think it would be nice for it to change the camera back to the "middle" exposure setting so that makes it easier to remeter the scene and then start the sequence again.
Alan

I second that notion!!!

IP Logged

JCB
Ex Member

Reply #349 - 08/18/10 at 20:26:17

Arty,  Just curious... Since digital photographers tend to be Mac based folks, why is it that the Promote firmware update path is only available for a PC & XP ?  Thanks...  Smiley

IP Logged

marquee
Ex Member

Reply #350 - 08/20/10 at 05:43:56

I was wondering arty if its possible to have the geotagging unit be an integral part of the promote controller. With the current set up the geo tagging unit and the shutter release share the same 10 pin cable, making one usable at a time.
It would be great to have a smaller geotagging unit piggy back of the promoteController.
Even if the metadata captured lies with mid exposure would be handy tool rather than no geoData.

Could this be a possibility or simply wait till the cameras manufacturers plant geo tagging into the unit itself. Which I don't see happening soon enough.

Does anyone have a alternative workflow?

IP Logged

snoleoprd
Ex Member

Reply #351 - 08/20/10 at 06:04:59

For geotagging the flow I use with my Canon cameras is a small gps unit that is normally used for sports, and then I synch the data from that with the images after they are downloaded. I use Gpicsync to do that, also Breezebrowser can do it as well and I am sure other apps. This makes it easy to add gps info on hdr images, just make sure that your camera time is accurate and matches the gps time, although some of the programs allow some slop.

Alan

IP Logged

snoleoprd
Ex Member

Reply #352 - 08/20/10 at 17:26:36

I have a question is there a bluetooth dongle that will let something like the Promote controller communicate with the Canon camera via Bluetooth? I saw the review at the begining of this thread about using the Phottix Plato hybrid wireless remote with the Promote, What would be neat is to have the Phottix Plato and a Bluetooth dongle on the camera and be able to run hdr sequences and hdr timelapses wirelessly with the Promote controller. Any ideas?

Alan

IP Logged

wbmcl
Ex Member

Reply #353 - 08/23/10 at 02:29:36

Hi all. I've had the Promote Control (1.18a now) and the CN2 cable for my Rebel XTi since 12/09 and for the most part have enjoyed it immensely.

However, try as I might, I only seem to get partial functionality. After extensive testing, I only seem to get HDR bracketing functionality (correct and expected shots according to settings) if I have the "separate cable for shutter release" (2-19 in setup) set to "No", regardless of whether the cable is attached.

However, if I say "Yes", then I get "phantom" shots. The camera *appears* to be shooting correctly (and more quickly I might add as befits one of the benefits of the cable) but there is no camera sound and nothing is written to the memory card.

This is true with Mirror Lock-up enabled on both camera and PC, but if so, and randomly, the camera, upon the last shot, will "make a sound" - only then lock up the mirror I presume. Hard to test this as it's rare.

To make matters more odd, despite the itemized dysfunctionality, the "Focus" button DOES work when the CN2 cable is plugged in and enabled. So a signal is getting through from PC to camera, but only the focus signal.

I am submitting a ticket to Promote Control. Does anyone have any ideas as to a resolution to this issue? I would love to have the full functionality of the $300 PC.

Bill M.

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #354 - 08/24/10 at 07:05:23

Quote:
However, if I say "Yes", then I get "phantom" shots. The camera *appears* to be shooting correctly (and more quickly I might add as befits one of the benefits of the cable) but there is no camera sound and nothing is written to the memory card.

This is true with Mirror Lock-up enabled on both camera and PC, but if so, and randomly, the camera, upon the last shot, will "make a sound" - only then lock up the mirror I presume. Hard to test this as it's rare.

I've seen this happen when you have the camera set to any auto functions. The camera needs to be in Manual Mode, with AEB turned off, with auto focus turned off.  If any of those are accidentally left on, your strange findings are sure to occur.  I'm not saying that is why your results are the way they are, but do check to see if you've missed any of those steps.
1. Camera in M mode. Not Av
2. AEB off
3. Autofocus off

Quote:
To make matters more odd, despite the itemized dysfunctionality, the "Focus" button DOES work when the CN2 cable is plugged in and enabled. So a signal is getting through from PC to camera, but only the focus signal.

The Promote Control's manual explains that the camera can be triggered (autofocus and shutter release) when turned off if you have both the USB and Shutter release cable connected.  That is normal behavior and described as a feature in the manual.

IP Logged

wbmcl
Ex Member

Reply #355 - 08/28/10 at 05:40:03

Michael James wrote on 08/24/10 at 07:05:23:
I've seen this happen when you have the camera set to any auto functions. The camera needs to be in Manual Mode, with AEB turned off, with auto focus turned off.If any of those are accidentally left on, your strange findings are sure to occur.I'm not saying that is why your results are the way they are, but do check to see if you've missed any of those steps.
1. Camera in M mode. Not Av
2. AEB off
3. Autofocus off

Thanks for the reply Michael.

I've been testing and testing again since I posted this problem and even *just now*, and as usual, I placed the camera in Manual mode, with Auto-Exposure Bracketing not enabled and with Autofocus on my Tokina 12-24mm set to Manual Focus. Hooking both cables from the Promote to my XTi and hitting Start on the Promote once again, and as usual, made for a series of "phantom shots" as described in my first post. Even the Focus button the Promote is doing nothing when I put the lens into Auto Focus mode.

All this occurs when I have setting 2-19 ("Use a separate cable for shutter release: Yes".) When I set it to No, the Promote fires off the proper shots, but for those past 30 seconds and without Mirror-Lockup. The latter two are highly desireable considering the low light places I find myself in for HDR photography.

I've put in a ticket to Promote and "Max" is on the case. I'll post here later if there's succeeding steps.

If you or anyone else here has any other ideas, I'd welcome them.

Bill M.

IP Logged

highbred3d
Ex Member

Reply #356 - 09/01/10 at 03:30:07

Extra Identical Exposure:

I just recently got the optional shutter release cable (because I also recently got a d300 Smiley ), and I just shot a bunch of panos across a couple days, and now I'm noticing that sometimes I get an extra and identical exposure written to my CF card. But I didn't notice when I was shooting. Has anyone seen that?

For example, my camera settings are good that I can tell, I set my sequence for 7 images, but when I review them in lightroom or on my camera LCD I see 8 and the last two exposures are ALMOST identical (I can't perceive the difference, but the histogram begs to differ). And it didn't always happen too, which is weird.

IP Logged

geopal
Ex Member

Reply #357 - 09/02/10 at 10:58:00

"Promote works in mysterious ways!"
Joking, sorry couldn't resist! I also happen to have some lost frames or sometimes error saying camera is not responding pls connect usb cable, but I got used to it /as it doesn't happen very often/ and easy to fix, and for the frames- just learnt to count. Never had experience with identical shots...Maybe only once, but I forgot the "AutoISO" ON  Cheesy

IP Logged

Vito Di Vita
Ex Member

Reply #358 - 09/23/10 at 15:39:59

Here's a question for all the people that use Promote for 360˚'s w/ PTGui:

Why is it that when I'm doing long exposures, (seconds/minutes), PTGUI does not like recognizing the bulb exposures? What can I do to fix that?

IP Logged

Victor

HDR Sponge

Miami, Florida
Reply #359 - 10/30/10 at 04:46:26

Quote:
One other thing - some Canon cams appear to be a problem if they are in "Power down" mode - i.e. top LCD has nothing on it. Normally when a command is sent, the camera should wake up and start shooting immediately (Nikons do that), but Canons may skip the command and return success. It might be useful to "wake up" the camera by lightly tapping the shutter button before starting the sequence - or just make your power down timeouts longer, so that camera doesn't fall asleep as fast. 

Arty,

I've just acquired a Promote Control two days ago and am having a problem whereby the communication between it and my Canon 7D is nearly impossible. I love the looks of the unit, the tactile feel of the buttons, the ease of use of the menu system, the fact that it uses AA batteries, etc., but I'm highly disappointed in the reliability of communication between it and my camera. I have both the USB cable and the N3 cable attached and active in the menu. My unit came preloaded with Firmware version 1.16 on Wednesday. I immediately updated it to version 1.18. I tried to practice with the unit for two hours last evening and experienced the communication errors in every mode except manual. This morning, I saw that version 2.0 had just been made available, so I updated the unit to this newer firmware version. This evening, I ran my PC/7D combo through same battery of tests as the previous evening with, unfortunately, the same results.

Oddly, I did find one thing that made the unit perform flawlessly. When I "wake" the camera by lightly pushing the shutter button and immediately push the "start" button on the Promote Control unit, whatever mode I'm in functions perfectly, even MLU. As soon as the display in the viewfinder goes dark (roughly four to five seconds after a half-press of the shutter button), communication reverts right back to being a problem again. Only when the viewfinder (as seen through the eyepiece) is active does the unit work as it should. This, as you might imagine, renders the intended use of the Promote Control unit useless.

I have tried slowing down all of the settings in the menu with no luck. I have put in a fresh set of alkaline batteries, as well. I have triple-checked my cable connections. I simply cannot figure out this problem.

Is the Promote Control unit just not reliably compatible with the Canon 7D?

Please let me know your thoughts on my situation.

Thank you for your help!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 34
Send Topic Print