Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Bracketing Controller (Read 70674 times)
sealz
Ex Member

Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller
Reply #330 - 07/05/10 at 05:50:14

Hi there

I recently purchased the Promote for my 7D primarily for HDR use (vfx). I'm not sure whether i'm doing something wrong or if it's a camera specific issue but the promote seems to be firing off doubles or even skipping some exposures and when I look at the set some actually have no discernible difference in exposure even when set to 2 evs apart. Have I got a faulty device or is there still ironing out to do with the 7D?

Brendan

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #331 - 07/05/10 at 09:30:11

I"m assuming you have the camera in manual mode (not Av or otherwise), with AEB fuction on the camera set to off, with your EV steps set to default at 1/3rd jumps, your focus to manual.

All that before even touching the Promote Control.

Right?

IP Logged

sealz
Ex Member

Reply #332 - 07/06/10 at 04:27:54

Hi Michael

Yeah have done all those settings correctly on camera before using the Promote. Am using both the shutter and usb cable to connect the two.
Tried again this morning and it fired off 3 on the mid-exposure but the rest was fine. I'll do some more testing and hopefully it sorts itself out!

IP Logged

Joachim Buambeki

I love light

Germany
Reply #333 - 07/07/10 at 09:29:07

Hi,

is the Promote able to combine bracketing with timelapse?
I need to fire a burst of seven shots with 2EV spacing for very frame of an HDRI timelapse every n seconds.
Is that possible?

Best Regards
David

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #334 - 07/07/10 at 09:51:10

Yes, but you'd need the latest firmware beta. Haven't had any problems with it, so it's probably close to final.

In that, the timelapse and HDR settings panes are linked with a backdoor. So you'd first make your HDR settings, do a test shot, then go to timelapse and set the timings. Was rather intuitive.

IP Logged

Joachim Buambeki

I love light

Germany
Reply #335 - 07/07/10 at 10:05:34

Great! Thanks for the fast reply.

Is it really possible to fire a burst of several pictures with a Canon 5DII like with the Nikon in the video from HDRIblog.com about the Promote?

I am asking because the usual delay of about 3sec I always get between my shots when controlling the camera with my laptop, is not really helpful when doing timelapse for obvious reasons.

Best Regards
David

IP Logged

JackHoward

Author of Practical HDRI

NJ
Reply #336 - 07/14/10 at 21:43:54

Christian, you'd mentioned that HDR and Time lapse now work together on the latest beta FW. I cannot seem to get this to work on a Reb XTi by doing an HDR shot and then switching over to Time lapse. It just keeps firing away one shot at the same exposure. Any ideas?

http://facebook.com/hdrphotography  
IP Logged

Sirsilent
Ex Member

Reply #337 - 07/15/10 at 20:06:11

quick question:

Does the controller work with the Panasonic GH1?

IP Logged

sealz
Ex Member

Reply #338 - 07/22/10 at 04:58:31

Michael, I'm still having troubles with my promote/7d combo. Performance seems to be flakey, sometimes it works great firing off 9 or 11 exposures, other times it skips some exposures altogether.

Has anyone else got a 7D + Promote and had any issues?

Brendan

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #339 - 07/23/10 at 06:26:39

Joachim Buambeki wrote on 07/07/10 at 10:05:34:
Is it really possible to fire a burst of several pictures with a Canon 5DII like with the Nikon in the video from HDRIblog.com about the Promote?

Depends on the camera to determine top speeds. And you need to connect not only with the USB cable, but also the separately sold shutter release cable.

If you connect only with the USB cable I "think" the default interval in a bracket/burst is 1 second.  This would also apply to timelapse.

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #340 - 07/23/10 at 06:38:44

Quote:
Michael, I'm still having troubles with my promote/7d combo. Performance seems to be flakey, sometimes it works great firing off 9 or 11 exposures, other times it skips some exposures altogether.

Has anyone else got a 7D + Promote and had any issues?

Brendan

Yes. If you read the very early posts in this thread you'll actually see me asking Arty about this issue.

I'm assuming you are hitting this issue because your over exposed shots are getting VERY slow (shutter speeds).  I hit this doing interior architectural photography shooting at f/8 to f/11 and ISO 100-200 combined with dark interiors means the over exposed shots towards the end of the series are getting sloooooooooow.

One thing you could do is increase the "USB shutter release frame delay" which is option #4 under the setup menu.  Default if I recall is 1000ms.  I took mine up to around 2500ms and it can go as high as 5000ms.  Obviously this is contrary to shooting as fast as possible, but when you get into conditions where the over exposures are long shutter speeds, this helps a bit.

In nearly dark/dusk conditions even that does not work entirely.  The promote control is firing off a signal to the camera, but the camera doesn't "get" it because it is still taking the current shot.  Then the promote control sends another signal shortly after the one and if the camera is idle, then that one is taken, but the one prior the camera never took and never will.

This has never been solved with firmware.

However, the taking of double pictures you spoke of earlier on is something I only experienced when I was messing with Mirror Up options.

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #341 - 07/23/10 at 06:54:55

The promote control lives in my bag and thrives on my D3.

Even though the D3 happily does 9aeb (max of 1EV between frames), the promote control has been critical for my line of work which often requires 11-15 shots with 1EV steps.

80% of this gallery was shot using the promote control and my D3:
http://digitalcoastimage.com/comps/selections/index.html

Yes, I'm a fan boy  Smiley

I don't get paid a dime, but I know I've sold a couple dozen promote controls.  And that's what I'm aware of because I've been emailed by folks who saw the youtube videos I created that promotesystems.com has on their site.

I know other HDR guys with blogs that have it as important gear and I'm sure they have gotten the word out too (which was birthed from me) BUT!!!

I first heard of the promote control HERE... so all that kudos goes to Christian  Smiley

IP Logged

sealz
Ex Member

Reply #342 - 07/23/10 at 08:14:52

Thanks for the reply Michael, your comments on the USB delay makes perfect sense as I only have this problem (so far) in darker situations.
I'm definitely on board and love the Promote, the fact that i'm a canon user would almost make this device a requirement.

It's a shame you couldn't contribute to the last fxphd class on HDRs Michael with the oil spill etc, I think members (including myself) really would have loved to hear what you had to discuss!

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #343 - 07/23/10 at 08:16:21

Michael James wrote on 07/23/10 at 06:38:44:
This has never been solved with firmware.

However, I'm pretty sure it could be solved in firmware. People were just talking about this "wait for frame" delay issue over in the OCC section of the forum. Not saying the OCC would be better, it actually doesn't have the USB connection (yet) so it only fires shots through the remote release cable and thus comes with limitations on the short end of the shots.... But in theory the Promote firmware could be configured to wait for an OK signal from the camera before firing the next shot. It does, however rely on a certain higher level of USB protocoll magic, which must be sniffed or something....

Maybe that's something Arty should have a look at:
http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1277771284

Blochi

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #344 - 07/23/10 at 08:34:50

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Michael, your comments on the USB delay makes perfect sense as I only have this problem (so far) in darker situations.

I suspected this. I've learned to deal with it simply because shadow data is not as mission critical for me as highlight data.  I can live with the every now and then skipped over exposure frame.

Quote:
It's a shame you couldn't contribute to the last fxphd class on HDRs Michael with the oil spill etc, I think members (including myself) really would have loved to hear what you had to discuss!

That was fate sealed by BP's disaster.  BP and then technology gremlins as three attempts to FTP to the fxphd server flaked somehow.  Partial files got through each time.  So the 40 minute long tonemapping class I did never got there and then I had to go out of town to shoot.  Mike was forced to put together classes last minute as a result.

I was basically opening up pandora's box for the background fundamentals course.  It never got to Mike Seymour.  I was actually supposed to be teaching class 8, 9 and 10.  BP screwed all that up for me and the students there.  Hell even Mike said he was anxious to learn my workflow.

It took me so long to prep and record it was pretty upsetting when the FTP stuff happened.

C'est la vie.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 34
Send Topic Print