Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Bracketing Controller (Read 171111 times)
upshot
Ex Member

Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller
Reply #255 - 02/12/10 at 00:00:31

I agree with the idea of having the HDR on/off in the timelapse section which will pickup the current settings in the HDR section. That would work fine for me!

IP Logged

Greg Downing
Ex Member

Reply #256 - 02/18/10 at 20:51:36

Hey Arty, You going to be at PMA? I am planning on being there on Sunday.
-Greg

IP Logged

Sirimo
Ex Member

Reply #257 - 02/18/10 at 21:11:58

Just unpacked my Promote that I ordered a few days ago. It's very impressive. Just what I've been looking for.

Also very pleased to see such a hands on approach from Arty in here. The development of the time lapse HDR sounds perfect for me. I don't do time lapse as such... but shoot multiple frames at each exposure level. Then using Photoshop extended's mean / median image stack, I create stacks of the same exposures to remove noise before the HDR blend.

At present I've been firing this all off my hand, well by remote switch, using my 1DsmkIII's 7 shot bracketing. Having this all automated will be a godsend! I presume I can use the HDR/TL for this and just put the interval to a second?

Heading up to Scotland next week to test it all out along with the NN5 with RD16.

Arty is there any news on when the new firmware with timelapse function will be out? I'm guessing not by next week.

I'd be pleased to Beta test at any stage.

IP Logged

PanoCamera
Ex Member

Reply #258 - 02/18/10 at 21:49:50

I just answered an email about the Promote, and I thought some of my statements might be apropos to potential users here:

Yep, I have one and it works nicely, if you don't have micro 4/3'rds bodies, Sigma, Alpha, etc. Luckily I have a 5D2 so it is a near perfect match. I needed to turn off noise reduction to get it to sync properly for some reason, and it didn't seem to work with live-view active, probably due to "the nut at the wheel." The rubber gasket quickly fell apart, and the 3.5mm & 2.5mm jacks broke after a few weeks of hanging and banging on a tripod, but it still works with it all held together by electrical tape.  If they would add a programmable delay before shooting it would be perfect (and users wouldn't need to glue a Satechi wireless to the back as I have done.) It's a great first effort and I'm looking forward to their future products.

On Feb 17, 2010, at 4:19 AM, ***** wrote:

Hi Steve,

Just in case I never returned you email for recommendation, I have purchase a Promote unit and it is brilliant, support is great and gadget does the job perfectly.

Everyone who wants to do HDR should buy one!

Incidently I recommended the Promote to one of the guys at This Week in Photography and they mentioned it on the show, so "good on 'ya" Promote!

IP Logged

upshot
Ex Member

Reply #259 - 02/19/10 at 14:45:18

Quote:
At present I've been firing this all off my hand, well by remote switch, using my 1DsmkIII's 7 shot bracketing. Having this all automated will be a godsend! I presume I can use the HDR/TL for this and just put the interval to a second?

You know, all you need is an intervalometer... You can set the exposure time long enough to shoot off your brackets and then set an interval. Vola.  You already have a highly capable bracketing machine in the 1dmk3.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #260 - 03/01/10 at 19:44:53

Quote:
Hey Arty, You going to be at PMA? I am planning on being there on Sunday.
-Greg

Hi Greg,

Sorry, I obviously missed it Smiley I'd love to be there, but had different plans for that time. How was it?

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #261 - 03/01/10 at 19:48:24

Quote:
I just answered an email about the Promote, and I thought some of my statements might be apropos to potential users here:

Yep, I have one and it works nicely, if you don't have micro 4/3'rds bodies, Sigma, Alpha, etc. Luckily I have a 5D2 so it is a near perfect match. I needed to turn off noise reduction to get it to sync properly for some reason, and it didn't seem to work with live-view active, probably due to "the nut at the wheel." The rubber gasket quickly fell apart, and the 3.5mm & 2.5mm jacks broke after a few weeks of hanging and banging on a tripod, but it still works with it all held together by electrical tape.  If they would add a programmable delay before shooting it would be perfect (and users wouldn't need to glue a Satechi wireless to the back as I have done.) It's a great first effort and I'm looking forward to their future products.

On Feb 17, 2010, at 4:19 AM, ***** wrote:

Hi Steve,

Just in case I never returned you email for recommendation, I have purchase a Promote unit and it is brilliant, support is great and gadget does the job perfectly.

Everyone who wants to do HDR should buy one!

Incidently I recommended the Promote to one of the guys at This Week in Photography and they mentioned it on the show, so "good on 'ya" Promote!

Hi,

Nice to hear it works for you! Sorry about the jacks, if the end up being a problem, we will replace the unit of course. The delay before HDR will be addressed at the same time we add HDR-TL - since TL has a pre-start delay, it will also apply to HDR-TL when it's ready. And for the future products - well, we're not done with our R&D yet Wink

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #262 - 03/02/10 at 18:01:36

Hi folks,

Has anybody tried Promote Control with a Canon 550D yet? We don't have it around to test, and it should be compatible, but with Canon you never know. It won't hurt to try of course - the worst that might happen is it would not run an HDR (and only if Canon decided to update something again). If anyone tried, please give me a buzz. Thanks!

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #263 - 03/06/10 at 06:59:56

I'll try it this weekend and post results here Arty.  The canon 550D / T2i that is.  I"ve had it for over a week and plan to use the T2i for video mostly, but have been slammed with shoots and haven't tested it with the promote control yet.

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #264 - 03/08/10 at 21:15:26

T2i / 550D works with the Promote Control in HDR Mode.  I didn't test it for any other functions.  I just used it with the USB connection with camera in full manual and it works just as it does using my D3, etc.

IP Logged

Michael James

Photographer

Destin, Florida U.S.A.
Reply #265 - 03/08/10 at 21:20:32

Oh... I don't know if this has been the way other Rebels reacted, but I could not review images with the Promote Control connected.  So after taking a sequence I had to turn the Promote Control "off" to then hit the play button on the T2i/550D to review what I just shot.

When I tried playing the images (reviewing/viewing) with the promote control connected and on the camera would not play them and said "BUSY".

My D3 does not have that limitation and I never tested it with my Canon XS before selling it last year.  I'm not sure if this is how past Rebel's have acted or not.

Just FYI.

IP Logged

JackHoward

Author of Practical HDRI

NJ
Reply #266 - 03/13/10 at 00:35:02

Arty, the Firmware Updater is coming across as a Win EXE file. What's the story with FW updates for those of us on Macs?

Thanks!

http://facebook.com/hdrphotography  
IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #267 - 03/13/10 at 08:08:33

I ran it successfully on my Bootcamp partition. Didn't even reboot, just fired up VMWare...  Slight inconvenience, bit no big deal, really. I'd rather have Arty work out new features than painting the backdrop for a fancy DMG installer disc.

IP Logged

brainspoon
Ex Member

Reply #268 - 03/14/10 at 02:48:01

Did someone test the Promote together with the new 550D and a shutter cable? I can't make those two work together.
USB alone works perfectly, but when I enable the shutter cable it just runs through all exposures on the Promote in less then a second.

IP Logged

pat
Ex Member

Reply #269 - 03/17/10 at 00:50:34

Can anyone tell me how I would purchase the Promote control, I live in Australia, and I have approached a few wholesalers and camera shops, with no luck.

I says on the website for USA Canada and Europe only..

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 34
Send Topic Print