Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Bracketing Controller (Read 178719 times)
Sam Rohn
Ex Member

Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller
Reply #240 - 02/08/10 at 08:06:29

i'd agree with the idea of breaking this thread up a bit, a lot gets lost in the shuffle...

does yabb have a split/merge topic feature ?

sam (waiting to borrow a pc to update promote firmware)

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #241 - 02/08/10 at 08:43:25

Yes, it has. But I need to
A) figure out where to split and
B) make a backup first. I'm very proud that no message got lost since 2003 - this forum is older than the website - and I want to keep it this way. Wink

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #242 - 02/08/10 at 20:25:53

Yeah, maybe splitting it would be good. As for the UI, I agree that (1) will be overlooked easily - nobody will find it without reading the manual very closely. We'd also still need all the settings that are currently in the HDR screen, including Mid Exposure - just setting 3/5/7F means we got to have a Mid Exposure to start working from. I kinda like the idea of having the HDR flag in MLU row, but since that line is shared between all screens, we'd then need to explain why doesn't it apply to One Shot, Manual Hold, HF calc etc (let alone HDR itself).

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #243 - 02/08/10 at 20:35:53

What I meant is that the actual settings are done on the HDR screen, but instead of deleting the exposure line it could show the settings from over there. To at least carry some information. Maybe putting it in brackets would indicate that this is just a display....

Is there a technical reason for the MLU row to be shared? I'm sure no user would complain if the timelapse screen has one setting more than the others.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #244 - 02/08/10 at 21:29:16

Oh yeah, HDR screen will still have its settings intact - but Time-Lapse will have Exposure: 00:00:01 replaced for Exposure: <HDR> or something like that. And the MLU row... I kinda planned it to be something like Windows taskbar that remains common for all modes, but you raise a valid point.

IP Logged

supertrogg
Ex Member

Reply #245 - 02/08/10 at 22:09:18

Arty,
For the Time Lapse/HDR display:

1: On HDR screen, shuffle current lines down 1 and enter 'HDR TIME LAPSE   : YES/NO'
2: On TIME LAPSE screen on top line, 'TIME LAPSE (HDR - 05F)' if set to 'YES' and not show anything if set to 'NO'. If set to 'NO' allow Time Lapse to function as normal.
3: Optionally change 'Exposure' to 'Exposure Sets' or some other suitable name and increment the count by 1 per however many seperate exposure sets you have.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #246 - 02/09/10 at 01:48:07

Quote:
Arty,
For the Time Lapse/HDR display:

1: On HDR screen, shuffle current lines down 1 and enter 'HDR TIME LAPSE   : YES/NO'
2: On TIME LAPSE screen on top line, 'TIME LAPSE (HDR - 05F)' if set to 'YES' and not show anything if set to 'NO'. If set to 'NO' allow Time Lapse to function as normal.
3: Optionally change 'Exposure' to 'Exposure Sets' or some other suitable name and increment the count by 1 per however many seperate exposure sets you have.

Lee,

Good idea you have there. I was originally thinking that the "HDR Time-Lapse: YES/NO" should be on whatever screen of the two (HDR or TL) that is changed more often during HDR-TL work - so you mean HDR is changed more often than TL settings? I guess that's right. What do you think should happen if user clicks "START" while being in TL mode with HDR-TL activated in HDR screen - should it start HDR-TL sequence just like it would from the HDR screen? I guess it should.

What do you think people?

IP Logged

David Rowley
Ex Member

Reply #247 - 02/09/10 at 19:44:38

Hi Arty,

I bought the promote control a few weeks ago and have been very pleased with it so far. I'm still waiting on the shutter cable though (in UK only seems to be 1 supplier), so I'm looking forward to being able to shoot sequences a bit faster. I found this thread last night and managed to read the whole thing over a few hours! It's really great that us users can have so much input to the development of the firmware.

About the HDR timelapse. I was so glad to read last night that this is a top priority. I agree with supertrogg about the HDR on/off in the timelapse menu and keeping the HDR options in the HDR menu. About your question if timelapse should work in the HDI menu. I'd have to see no, not unless there is also a similar Timelapse on/off in the HDR menu. It would be a bit confusing if it started shooting timelapse HDR without seeing an option for it on the same screen I'd think.

Just my thoughts.. Thanks for the great product!  Smiley

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #248 - 02/09/10 at 20:50:43

Quote:
Hi Arty,

I bought the promote control a few weeks ago and have been very pleased with it so far. I'm still waiting on the shutter cable though (in UK only seems to be 1 supplier), so I'm looking forward to being able to shoot sequences a bit faster. I found this thread last night and managed to read the whole thing over a few hours! It's really great that us users can have so much input to the development of the firmware.

About the HDR timelapse. I was so glad to read last night that this is a top priority. I agree with supertrogg about the HDR on/off in the timelapse menu and keeping the HDR options in the HDR menu. About your question if timelapse should work in the HDI menu. I'd have to see no, not unless there is also a similar Timelapse on/off in the HDR menu. It would be a bit confusing if it started shooting timelapse HDR without seeing an option for it on the same screen I'd think.

Just my thoughts.. Thanks for the great product!  Smiley

Hi David,

Thanks for your warm words Smiley I really want this product to be more of a community effort rather than "one-man-with-the-shovel" idea - you can never get things right without the teamwork. About the HDR / TL, I thought Lee suggested having "Time-Lapse" On/Off on the HDR screen - not the other way around, and I agreed to that since I realized that in shooting HDR/TL, HDR settings will be changed more often than TL - right? As for starting an HDR/TL instead of just plain TL, we can make TL screen mention "HDR" if "Time-Lapse: ON" is set on HDR screen, so that you will know what you are about to start. In addition, we plan to finally make a "STOP" feature so that you can get out of the sequence you didn't really want to start. P.S. Please feel free to comment!

IP Logged

brianmatiash
Ex Member

Reply #249 - 02/09/10 at 23:36:20

As an owner and huge fan of the Promote Control, I cannot express how happy I am that there is such a dedicated thread for this device.  It has made shooting brackets w/my 5D2 a breeze and Arty has been an awesome resource to chat with.

There is one huge feature that I have proposed to Arty and I wanted to throw it on here, as well, to get everyone's take on it.  I apologize if it was discussed in some capacity earlier on in this thread (I tried searching for similar topics).

Basically, I think this feature would mostly benefit owners of the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D, or anyone who has a physical Bulb switch.  Right now, the 5D2 and 7D are limited to 30 second exposures when in Manual.  So, if the Promote needs to go past 30 seconds in a given sequence, it fails.  This has burned me several times, especially in low light situations where going passed 30 seconds is pretty common.  I am not really willing to bump up my ISO to accommodate and I like exposing at 1 stop intervals (typically across 9 brackets).

At first, I thought I could just leave the camera in Bulb but that doesn't work since Canon oddly report its fastest exposure as 1 second even if it actually is much faster.  So, a 1/4000 exposure will show up as 1 sec, as will a 1/2000, 1/1000, etc.  This messes with the way Photomatix processes the bracketed images.

I proposed a solution to Arty already and am hoping that it makes sense and is possible to implement with a future firmware release.  I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on it, too.  The logic would go like this:

- Camera set to M
- Obtain desired mid-range exposure by setting Aperture, Shutter, and ISO on camera
- Input desired settings on Promote Control in HDR Mode
- Promote Control issues exposure commands based on mid-range until exposure is greater than 30 seconds
- If exposure is greater than 30 seconds in bracket sequence, pause and display message: "Switch to Bulb, Set Correct Aperture & ISO, Press Button to Continue Sequence"
- Press Button on Promote Control
- Promote Control resumes bracket sequence of all remaining exposures greater than 30 seconds
- End sequence

Thoughts?

Brian

IP Logged

supertrogg
Ex Member

Reply #250 - 02/10/10 at 18:06:12

Arty,
I think you got what I meant.
Control HDR Time Lapse from HDR screen.
Append to Time Lapse screen title (HDR - plus the number of exposures in a set, i.e. 05F). That is your indicator on the Time Lapse screen in case you forget what mode you're in! Additionally when HDR Time Lapse set to YES, change Exposure to Exposure Sets (or similar) to indicate how many sets of exposures you have set on the HDR screen. This would be useful to me as I take HDR Panoramas. The counter that is there currently can be incremented by one for each set whilst (fresh idea!!) the total number of exposures can be incremented in brackets after it,
When HDR Time Lapse is set to NO hide above (HDR - 05F) and return Time Lapse to the way you have it now.

A possibly simpler solution:
Leave both TL and HDR as they are, more or less.
Create new menu item TL HDR. Use this as a basic automated workflow. Set both up as required and when the TL HDR is ON intercept the TL trigger for the shutter and use it to trigger the HDR sequence.
When the TL HDR is OFF, both TL and HDR modes work as they do now.

Does that make sense?

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #251 - 02/10/10 at 18:35:19

Quote:
Arty,
I think you got what I meant.
Control HDR Time Lapse from HDR screen.
Append to Time Lapse screen title (HDR - plus the number of exposures in a set, i.e. 05F). That is your indicator on the Time Lapse screen in case you forget what mode you're in! Additionally when HDR Time Lapse set to YES, change Exposure to Exposure Sets (or similar) to indicate how many sets of exposures you have set on the HDR screen. This would be useful to me as I take HDR Panoramas. The counter that is there currently can be incremented by one for each set whilst (fresh idea!!) the total number of exposures can be incremented in brackets after it,
When HDR Time Lapse is set to NO hide above (HDR - 05F) and return Time Lapse to the way you have it now.

Create new menu item TL HDR. Use this as a basic automated workflow. Set both up as required and when the TL HDR is ON intercept the TL trigger for the shutter and use it to trigger the HDR sequence.

Does that make sense?

Yep. I just think that hiding that option in Setup menu might be a bit too deep to be easily found... so if I can, I will stick with the on-screen option and do the rest of the logic as described. Oh, and having sets/exposures at the same time is a great idea - I didn't think of that. Huh, it's surprising how one could get caught up in details and miss such simple things.

IP Logged

David Rowley
Ex Member

Reply #252 - 02/10/10 at 23:07:42

Quote:
Hi David,

Thanks for your warm words Smiley I really want this product to be more of a community effort rather than "one-man-with-the-shovel" idea - you can never get things right without the teamwork. About the HDR / TL, I thought Lee suggested having "Time-Lapse" On/Off on the HDR screen - not the other way around, and I agreed to that since I realized that in shooting HDR/TL, HDR settings will be changed more often than TL - right? As for starting an HDR/TL instead of just plain TL, we can make TL screen mention "HDR" if "Time-Lapse: ON" is set on HDR screen, so that you will know what you are about to start. In addition, we plan to finally make a "STOP" feature so that you can get out of the sequence you didn't really want to start. P.S. Please feel free to comment!

Hi Arty,

Yeah, sorry got a bit mixed up there with whos idea was whos. I have to say my +1 is against the timelapse yes/no (or on/off) in HDR screen. After a quick re-read and re-think. I'd likely have a better idea of the number of frames and delay and would probably be making my exposure decisions after calculating my frames etc. I guess this way we would also get a free HDR delay time if we choose 1 T/L frame and stick a delay in there? That would be really handy for getting my shadow out of the way when taking shots away from the sun.

David

IP Logged

geopal
Ex Member

Reply #253 - 02/11/10 at 08:23:08

Quote:

Does that make sense?

Yes, I was also thinking about the same simple way, just set everything in both menues and add another one which links them.

And I am also in for some kind of delay for HDR for getting rid of shadows and reflections Smiley
Best regards, G

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #254 - 02/11/10 at 23:46:26

Quote:
Quote:
Hi David,

Hi Arty,

Yeah, sorry got a bit mixed up there with whos idea was whos. I have to say my +1 is against the timelapse yes/no (or on/off) in HDR screen. After a quick re-read and re-think. I'd likely have a better idea of the number of frames and delay and would probably be making my exposure decisions after calculating my frames etc. I guess this way we would also get a free HDR delay time if we choose 1 T/L frame and stick a delay in there? That would be really handy for getting my shadow out of the way when taking shots away from the sun.

David

Spot on, David! I thought about having a separate feature for the HDR start delay, but what the heck - we can get two birds with one firmware update Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 34
Send Topic Print