Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Bracketing Controller (Read 165579 times)
Arty
Ex Member

Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller
Reply #225 - 01/28/10 at 23:51:25

Quote:
I went ahead a bought a promote control. Seems to work well, but it seems there is a long delay (1s) between shots in the HDR mode. I'm using the shutter cable, and have enabled it in the settings. Camera is 5d mark ii. How do I make the shots go faster?

Hi there,

I answered in the support ticket, but let me duplicate here - maybe this will help some other folks with 5D2. Unfortunately 5D2 is the slowest of the bunch that we tested with Promote Control - and it often cannot go much above 1-1.5 FPS (at least the way I tested it with RAW, no JPEG, no NR, Sandisk Extreme III). The reason is that we found 5D2 to be slower than other cameras (including lower level Canons) when it is controlled over USB. We found it helps to do the following:

1. Disable in-camera noise reduction if you have any.

2. If you shoot RAW+JPEG, try keeping RAW only.

Still, I spent 2 hours trying to make 5D2 go faster than 1.5FPS, but with its current firmware it was not going any faster. The 450D lying around was happily clicking at around 2-3 FPS though. I then tried to make 5D2 work faster when tethered to computer - but to no avail, it still took a maximum of 1-1.5 FPS. Looks like 5D2 has a speed problem with USB-based work - and we need USB to switch exposure speeds.

I don't know if Canon can fix that with a firmware... it does look like it's a firmware issue though, otherwise why would 450D be faster for 25% the price? I can only think of sensor resolution as a reason.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #226 - 01/29/10 at 00:01:29

Oh, and wookiee2cu - thanks for your message and your thumbs up! Smiley

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #227 - 01/29/10 at 03:33:35

Good news from the forge... I nearly banged my head out, but got a proof-of-concept 64-bit FW updater. Lots of work to get it to a packaged condition, but now I know it's possible. Stay tuned folks... and I will need someone with a 64-bit Win7 or Vista to test that. Any takers?

IP Logged

Juergen
Ex Member

Reply #228 - 01/29/10 at 05:04:33

Hi Artyom -
Still on XP 64, though Wink

Cheers
Jürgen

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #229 - 01/29/10 at 20:48:23

I had difficulty using the Promote with a rented Nikon D3X with my prototype imager.  I was triggering the Promote via the third port and the signal may not have been asserted for a long enough period of time  0.5 second assertion low.  I am successfully using it now with a Canon 5D Mark II with new firmware that allows you to change how long the signal is asserted.  Pentax uses a Canon E3 connector and needs a slightly longer assertion time or it misses shots..

IP Logged

supertrogg
Ex Member

Reply #230 - 01/31/10 at 10:26:58

Arty,

You can count me in for the 64-bit loader testing. I have Win 7 64-bit and Vista 64-bit. Theres even a Server 2003 64-bit too!!!

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #231 - 02/01/10 at 18:28:42

Castillonis wrote on 01/29/10 at 20:48:23:
I had difficulty using the Promote with a rented Nikon D3X with my prototype imager.  I was triggering the Promote via the third port and the signal may not have been asserted for a long enough period of time  0.5 second assertion low.  I am successfully using it now with a Canon 5D Mark II with new firmware that allows you to change how long the signal is asserted.  Pentax uses a Canon E3 connector and needs a slightly longer assertion time or it misses shots..

Ah. So Promote took long to react to the signal on the sensor port, right? Just making sure I got it correctly.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #232 - 02/01/10 at 18:37:30

Alright, 64-bit updater is done - at least it worked OK on a test Win74/64 that I have running on a VMWare. Juergen, supertrogg, please check your PMs. Everybody - we will have 1.16 coming, it's nothing but a relabeled 1.15 beta, so no sweat about updating unless you want to - but I wanted to flag it up for public so that we can start cooking new stuff on top of it. Stuff's getting better Smiley

IP Logged

geopal
Ex Member

Reply #233 - 02/01/10 at 18:37:35

Arty,
I was testing my promote control on nikon D60 in timelapse mode, and the period was 5 minutes- during that time the camera screen wouldn't go off to sleep mode and stay ON all the time... that would drainthe battery pretty quick, so I wanted to ask, is this normal and the same on all cameras, or I did something wrong?
Thank you in advance!
George

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #234 - 02/01/10 at 20:18:44

George,

Yes, it's normal - the reason is that we need to keep the camera awake if we're using USB connection. USB is a complicated bus (doh... I shouldn't get started on that favorite peeve of mine), and needs some startup procedures before it can lend itself in any useful way. So if we let it go and let camera fall asleep, we will need to re-init the camera before every shot - and this would mess the timing. If you were to use the shutter cable (which unfortunately is not an option for D60), you could have disconnected USB cord for timelapse, and this would resolve the issue.

IP Logged

geopal
Ex Member

Reply #235 - 02/01/10 at 20:29:15

Thank you Arty for the detailed answer, so nothing to worry and one more reason to upgrade camera Wink

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #236 - 02/02/10 at 08:00:05

Arty, My device was not asserting the signal for a long enough time period as an input to the third port ( 2.5 mm miniplug ) on the Promote to trigger the start of a capture.  I am now able to change how long I assert the signal on my device so that I trigger the Promote to start the capture.

To be safe, I need to retest the Nikon D3X that I rented.  I posess a Nikon D700 that I can use to test the ten pin input before I return to test the D3X.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #237 - 02/06/10 at 01:16:53

OK everyone - firmware 1.16 is out:

http://tinyurl.com/yfgq483

or go to

http://support.promotesystems.com/

and click "Downloads".

Both updater and FW 1.16 is there, along with 1.05. Note that 1.16 is nothing but a relabeled 1.15 beta - everybody with 1.15 beta doesn't need to update.

This message is mostly for people coming here from search engines - most of you local folks already know about it anyway.

With the above being done with, I'm off to doing new firmware tweaks. Mmm... tasty Smiley
« Last Edit: 02/06/10 at 19:15:29 by N/A »  

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #238 - 02/08/10 at 03:39:33

Everybody,

I need your input here. We're trying to design how to build HDR Time-Lapse the fastest possible way and make it usable. The biggest problem is GUI - how do we place fields of both HDR and Time-Lapse into the same room that was previosly occupied by either of these two alone. The idea is to keep them where they are, and somehow make Time-Lapse do not a single shot for every "frame", but do HDR sequence instead (if requested), using values from the HDR screen.

The question is how to present this choice to you, the user. At this time we see the following options:

1. Make a special setting for Time-Lapse's "Exposure" field - it will be located in the very beginning of the range, and you can simply scroll to it. It will say "<HDR>" instead of a pre-defined time.

2. Add a Setup setting that will choose between basic Time-Lapse and HDR Time-Lapse. This will do the following:

a) Remove "Exposure" field from the Time-Lapse screen.

b) If you "Start" a Time-Lapse with that feature on, it will use values from Time-Lapse and HDR screen to do the HDR Time-Lapse.

3. Any other option that you might care to offer.

What do you think? I want this to be usable for everybody, and I want your input.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #239 - 02/08/10 at 05:41:35

Sounds good.

Number one might get overlooked, I think adding an HDR setting next to Mirror Up would make it more clear. The exposure setting wouldn't need to disappear, it could say "3F" or "5F" or "7F" - depending on what is set in the HDR setting. Ideally, it would explicitly say "1/20...2sec", but I'm not sure if there is enough room in the interface..

PS - do you actually feel comfortable with this mammoth thread? Wouldn't it be better to start a new one?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 34
Send Topic Print