Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Bracketing Controller (Read 109446 times)
Arty
Ex Member

Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller
Reply #195 - 11/12/09 at 20:20:27

Quote:
Glad to see, we're getting closer Smiley
Let me know, when you're moving from TO_THINK to LETs_TRY and I'll try to give you some helping hands Wink
Of course I'm always ready to dicuss upcoming issues.

Just to make sure we're on the same page - we can't do steps less than 1/3 EV. At least not until we hit Bulb.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #196 - 11/12/09 at 20:23:29

I was going to further demonstrate what Juergen talks about.

Here is a timelapse I shot from my balcony, with the D200's built-in timer and with everything Auto.

Especially the transitions are troublesome, when the camera has to decide between two neighboring exposures. Which seem to be too far apart.
What a real timelapse feature needs is temporal dampening. You'd need to remember the last exposure time, then determine the new Auto-Exposure. If the new Auto-Exposure different by a threshold (like 1/4 stop), then change the exposure in that direction, but ONLY by 1/32 stop. Of course, both thresholds should be configurable. It doesn't really matter if we're lagging behind the AutoExposure, in fact that may actually be a pleasing effect.

For now, I treated the sequence above with timeblend in After Effects. This sort of shows what I would like to see in the sky, but unfortunately is also kills some of the more interesting things going on in the citylight windows and elsewhere....  

Nothing that couldn't be fixed with keying and compositing, but this added effort only pays off for when I really need to use that footage for something... Would be better if it came clean from the camera in the first place.

IP Logged

Juergen
Ex Member

Reply #197 - 11/12/09 at 21:39:26

Thanks for jumping in, Blochi. Temporal dampening sounds cool but you're right that could also help Smiley

Quote:
Just to make sure we're on the same page - we can't do steps less than 1/3 EV. At least not until we hit Bulb.
Uh, sure. I was afraid of this Smiley But hey, at Promote people are used to face challenges, right Wink

Without kidding I think the bulb approach isn't too bad anyway as timelapsers mostly use ND filters to get long exposure times. So starting with 1 second or 2 and extending these might be a way to go. If you also could change the aperture we can avoid unwanted long intervals due to extended exposure times.

Now you get an idea why shooting from day to night is called the holy grail of timelapse Smiley

Juergen

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #198 - 11/13/09 at 00:10:42

If bulb is what it takes, then so shall be it. EXIF data is irrelevant in a timelapse, because the frames are treated as footage anyway. All we need are good coherent pictures, so  there is less postprocessing necessary.

IP Logged

adam
Ex Member

Reply #199 - 11/17/09 at 22:56:07

Hi Arty et al,

Received my promote control today, very excited to give it a whirl. Unfortunately unless I'm missing something silly, it's DOA... in that pushing the "mode" button does nothing.

I was thinking of finding one of the new firmware versions to dload and see if that did the trick, but can't find on the promote website.

Am I just missing something? Or do I need a new unit?

Thanks,
Adam

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #200 - 11/17/09 at 23:01:41

Quote:
Hi Arty et al,

Received my promote control today, very excited to give it a whirl. Unfortunately unless I'm missing something silly, it's DOA... in that pushing the "mode" button does nothing.

I was thinking of finding one of the new firmware versions to dload and see if that did the trick, but can't find on the promote website.

Am I just missing something? Or do I need a new unit?

Thanks,
Adam

Hey Adam,

It doesn't seem like a firmware issue - more like a hardware problem. I've got your support ticket submission, we'll send you a new unit instead. Sorry about the hassle!

Regards,
Arty

IP Logged

adam
Ex Member

Reply #201 - 11/17/09 at 23:05:22

Thanks Arty! Can I expect to receive soon? Waiting on it for timelapse sequence on a film project.

Thanks again,

-Adam

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #202 - 11/17/09 at 23:07:42

Quote:
Thanks Arty! Can I expect to receive soon? Waiting on it for timelapse sequence on a film project.

Thanks again,

-Adam

Sure, we'll probably arrange a UPS Canada Standard shipment if that's OK.

IP Logged

adam
Ex Member

Reply #203 - 11/17/09 at 23:10:30

Just responded via the support ticket.

Thanks again for everything, really looking forward to getting going with the promote. Looks like everyone here quite likes it!

Best,
Adam

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #204 - 11/18/09 at 01:41:06

Well, either that, or people who don't like it stay quiet. As they should.  Grin

IP Logged

discocandy
Ex Member

Reply #205 - 11/19/09 at 07:58:36

after a private mail where that asked me more about  my setup I'll post these images here.

to do the zenith I shorten one leg to balance the setup.
works perfectly.
I also marked the angle I need to put my centre colom to get around the same hight I was taking the horizontal images.
difference around 1.5 cm in hight.. but that is manageble

IP Logged

RJ
Ex Member

Reply #206 - 11/21/09 at 15:47:09

Greetings all, and to Arty...

Just read the article in Shutterbug and found my way here. What a cool concept and my order is already in Smiley

Earlier in this thread there was discussion on the various combinations between the Promote and wireless triggers. Have you considered an enhanced product that includes the wireless receiver in the Promote Control device? I know various manufacturers either embed directly or offer the port to add the wireless module. Sekonic is one example where you can add and then the magic happens... triggering via a pocket wizard. Creating an access door and slot for users to add their own receiver module like our "smart phones" would be cool.

I understand this would be a hardware change but might be worth it. I'm sure the experts here will add their thoughts. To me it would be worth it to have fewer external items to connect, and less chance of a failure in each. I'd pay for the feature...

Thanks!

IP Logged

adam
Ex Member

Reply #207 - 11/27/09 at 00:10:10

Just wanted to post that I received my replacement unit (Thanks Arty!), and it works beautifully.

Just did some testing and couldn't be happier with it. Awesome piece of gear.

Cheers,
Adam

IP Logged

Sam Rohn
Ex Member

Reply #208 - 11/30/09 at 02:21:04

Quote:
Creating an access door and slot for users to add their own receiver module like our "smart phones" would be cool.

its already there, the #3 accessory input is a standard 2.5mm plug Smiley

sam

promote-ports.png (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Sam Rohn
Ex Member

Reply #209 - 11/30/09 at 02:39:47

or maybe i misunderstood the OP ?

if you mean like a module that fits inside the promote, sekonic light meters & pocket wizards aint cheap, and im not sure how many people use such devices for HDR etc...

better i think would be a bluetooth breakout setup, BT receiver dongle on camera goes to shutter & usb, & a little transmitter thing sits on top of the promote, or built in to the promote 2 Smiley

better still, how about built in bluetooth or wifi support & remote protocol on all new DSLRs !

sam

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 34
Send Topic Print