Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Bracketing Controller (Read 165578 times)
Photosignals
Ex Member

Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller
Reply #180 - 11/05/09 at 22:14:51

Hi Arty,

Do you think you are getting close to a release version? The tantalising glimpses of new features are making your customers most expectant Smiley

Mike.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #181 - 11/05/09 at 23:09:07

Quote:
Hi Arty,

Do you think you are getting close to a release version? The tantalising glimpses of new features are making your customers most expectant Smiley

Mike.

Hi Mike! I guess I need to ask our beta testers about how close are we Smiley So far I haven't heard any complaints, so I believe we might go ahead and release it. One thing I'm hesitant about is that we don't have Mac updater yet, but I don't see a need to delay delivering all those goodies because of that. Let's give it a week more and we will probably release.

IP Logged

Juergen
Ex Member

Reply #182 - 11/07/09 at 23:02:09

For shooting timelapse the intervalometer functions come pretty handy, but the limit of 999 shots occasioally might be a show stopper.

Maybe someone already has suggested it (sorry for not reading all posts, at least I used the search and didn't find it  Cheesy) but how if you add a setting for 000 shots which would cause the Promote to take an infinite number of picures?

Oh, and while we are at it: I wish one could have shutter speeds changed over a certain period of time even in timelapse mode. To become the hero of timelapsers increments should be less then 1 EV, hehe.

Keep up the good work!
Jürgen

IP Logged

jasonhuang1115
Ex Member

Reply #183 - 11/08/09 at 01:24:46

Hi, Arty,

Any update regarding the tripod mount?
I got my Promote Control yesterday as well as the Phottix Plato. The combination works together with my Canon Rebel XS very well. I am now DIY-ing a NN3 mount as what Sam shown before in this thread. Still, I am interested in buying a custom tripod mount if that will be available in the near future.

- Jason

Quote:
Alright guys, here's a second try about the tripod mount case:

http://www.promotesystems.com/downloads/media/promote_control/temp/tripod_pouch_...

It has a strap on the back and seems to fit our office stand nicely (which is about the same leg diameter as my Gitzo 2541). You can see the screen and press buttons without taking it out. You can also mount that case on your jeans belt (need to undo the belt first though), and use it to carry the Promote around.

How's that - interested?

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #184 - 11/08/09 at 05:43:34

I wouldn't sweat a Mac version. I had great success running the updater from my BootCamp partition. Even under VMWare Fusion, so there wasn't even a need to reboot my Mac. The USB communication went through just fine, and the Promote hasn't crashed or hung at all.

The Preview in particular is super-welcome addition. It displays in very low-tech interface, but it's functional. Would probably better to swap the setting with the M-Up, putting it in the very last row, and maybe even inverted (like a status bar). Then it would be more clear that this is not an actual setting I can change, but just a display... It doesn't even need a label, I think, without the leading "Seq:" there would be enough room to have as many dots as exposures.
At least, it will now Beep out invalid EV ranges before I get started shooting, and that's a very good thing.

Here's a blurry screenshot:

photo.jpg (Attachment deleted)
IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #185 - 11/10/09 at 06:25:03

Quote:
For shooting timelapse the intervalometer functions come pretty handy, but the limit of 999 shots occasioally might be a show stopper.

Maybe someone already has suggested it (sorry for not reading all posts, at least I used the search and didn't find it  Cheesy) but how if you add a setting for 000 shots which would cause the Promote to take an infinite number of picures?

Oh, and while we are at it: I wish one could have shutter speeds changed over a certain period of time even in timelapse mode. To become the hero of timelapsers increments should be less then 1 EV, hehe.

Keep up the good work!
Jürgen

First off - thanks Smiley I remember someone suggesting the infinite number of exposure in Time-Lapse... we'll probably add that in the next release. As for changeable exposures - I think we will go full way and just make the Time-Lapse HDRs - that'd probably take care of the issue Smiley

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #186 - 11/10/09 at 06:26:25

Quote:
Hi, Arty,

Any update regarding the tripod mount?
I got my Promote Control yesterday as well as the Phottix Plato. The combination works together with my Canon Rebel XS very well. I am now DIY-ing a NN3 mount as what Sam shown before in this thread. Still, I am interested in buying a custom tripod mount if that will be available in the near future.

- Jason

We look into having those delivered from our supplier in January - unfortunately, no earlier date is available. I will make sure to let everybody know as soon as we have them!

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #187 - 11/10/09 at 06:37:39

Blochi wrote on 11/08/09 at 05:43:34:
I wouldn't sweat a Mac version. I had great success running the updater from my BootCamp partition. Even under VMWare Fusion, so there wasn't even a need to reboot my Mac. The USB communication went through just fine, and the Promote hasn't crashed or hung at all.

The Preview in particular is super-welcome addition. It displays in very low-tech interface, but it's functional. Would probably better to swap the setting with the M-Up, putting it in the very last row, and maybe even inverted (like a status bar). Then it would be more clear that this is not an actual setting I can change, but just a display... It doesn't even need a label, I think, without the leading "Seq:" there would be enough room to have as many dots as exposures.
At least, it will now Beep out invalid EV ranges before I get started shooting, and that's a very good thing.

Here's a blurry screenshot:

It's a second time I hear about BootCamp on Mac performing well for Promote Control FW update... maybe we will even consider making it one of the official options. As for dots for every exposure - hmm, we have a few guys who shoot 37 exposures in a row, and LCD is 21 characters wide. Maybe we can cut those long ones off though.

IP Logged

Juergen
Ex Member

Reply #188 - 11/10/09 at 07:08:08

Quote:
First off - thanks  I remember someone suggesting the infinite number of exposure in Time-Lapse... we'll probably add that in the next release. As for changeable exposures - I think we will go full way and just make the Time-Lapse HDRs - that'd probably take care of the issue

Sounds great  Smiley
Just for clarification:
Time-Lapsers are encountered with greatest difficulties when capturing periods from daylight to darkness or vice versa. What manual exposure mode for HDRers is a controllable exposure curve to Time-lapsers. Unfortunately there is yet  no device or software available that would allow a constant change of exposure in small increments over a defineable and "long" period.

In order to avoid any flicker, shutter speeds (and/or aperture) should vary in increments of 1/32 EV Wink

And I am sure you would make even more people happy when the Promote would come with a pouch that could also keep both cables (preferably while they stay plugged). Today I figured out that one could accidentally power on the Promote when the cable is stored in the lid.

IP Logged

Sam Rohn
Ex Member

Reply #189 - 11/11/09 at 07:02:41

Quote:
P.S. If you happen to know a Mac developer willing to take on the task  with a clearly written instruction and some pre-made sources that just need to be rewritten for Mac, we'd be willing to outsource that

hey arty -

i took the liberty of posting your offer to the hugin google group, i think someone there might be able to help

sam

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #190 - 11/12/09 at 00:05:47

Quote:
Quote:
P.S. If you happen to know a Mac developer willing to take on the task  with a clearly written instruction and some pre-made sources that just need to be rewritten for Mac, we'd be willing to outsource that

hey arty -

i took the liberty of posting your offer to the hugin google group, i think someone there might be able to help

sam

Thanks, Sam! Let's see if somebody comes up with an offer. Although the idea of running it from BootCamp seems tempting.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #191 - 11/12/09 at 00:09:04

Quote:
Sounds great  Smiley
Just for clarification:
Time-Lapsers are encountered with greatest difficulties when capturing periods from daylight to darkness or vice versa. What manual exposure mode for HDRers is a controllable exposure curve to Time-lapsers. Unfortunately there is yet  no device or software available that would allow a constant change of exposure in small increments over a defineable and "long" period.

In order to avoid any flicker, shutter speeds (and/or aperture) should vary in increments of 1/32 EV Wink

And I am sure you would make even more people happy when the Promote would come with a pouch that could also keep both cables (preferably while they stay plugged). Today I figured out that one could accidentally power on the Promote when the cable is stored in the lid.

Hmm. In those conditions, Time-Lapse / HDR combination would create a whole bunch of images you might not need. But let me ask you this - why not just set the camera on the Aperture Priority, and let it time an optimal exposure? And if you are worried about it not hitting the spot, you might enable internal AEB (even if for 3 shots), set it to continuous drive, and then use Promote with a shutter cable and exposure length of, say, 10 seconds once in 5 minutes. This will be equivalent to holding the shutter button on camera down for 10 seconds once in 5 minutes. The camera will then take 3 pics every 5 minutes, and you can then pick those you like.

IP Logged

Juergen
Ex Member

Reply #192 - 11/12/09 at 07:52:17

Thank you for the suggestion Arty, but that shows I hadn't described the goal correctly Smiley

1. Indeed there is no need for HDR in timelapses.

2. Autoexposure may work in some cases but in many cases it won't. Chances are obstacles, movement, birds, or whatever can cause the camera to "jump" more or less EVs and spoil a complete shoot.

What timelpasers wish for is a device that would allow to start a shoot say 1 hour before sunset and end 1 hour after sunset. During that time take an image every 3 seconds but change exposure values (let's say from -3 EV to +3 EV just as an example) consecutively but in increments of 1/32 EV to avoid any flicker in the final film. (20 pics/min = 1200/hour = 2400 images total with varying EV from -3 to +3 in 192 steps)

Of course one would have to find out the correct settings by some experiments but at least one would get a predictable and a flickerfree result.

Right now there are just some DIY approaches from people using motorised rigs to turn the aperture ring very, very slowly.

Best
Jürgen

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #193 - 11/12/09 at 19:18:42

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion Arty, but that shows I hadn't described the goal correctly Smiley

1. Indeed there is no need for HDR in timelapses.

2. Autoexposure may work in some cases but in many cases it won't. Chances are obstacles, movement, birds, or whatever can cause the camera to "jump" more or less EVs and spoil a complete shoot.

What timelpasers wish for is a device that would allow to start a shoot say 1 hour before sunset and end 1 hour after sunset. During that time take an image every 3 seconds but change exposure values (let's say from -3 EV to +3 EV just as an example) consecutively but in increments of 1/32 EV to avoid any flicker in the final film. (20 pics/min = 1200/hour = 2400 images total with varying EV from -3 to +3 in 192 steps)

Of course one would have to find out the correct settings by some experiments but at least one would get a predictable and a flickerfree result.

Right now there are just some DIY approaches from people using motorised rigs to turn the aperture ring very, very slowly.

Best
Jürgen

Wow... turning aperture rings with motors sounds rather geeky Smiley I think I got the idea. I believe this can probably be done all right, although I'd be cautious about catching the right exposure every time, but I'm sure some experiment might help. Let me write this down to our TO_THINK list Smiley

IP Logged

Juergen
Ex Member

Reply #194 - 11/12/09 at 20:15:37

Glad to see, we're getting closer Smiley
Let me know, when you're moving from TO_THINK to LETs_TRY and I'll try to give you some helping hands Wink
Of course I'm always ready to dicuss upcoming issues.

Thanks again
Jürgen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 34
Send Topic Print