Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Bracketing Controller (Read 165593 times)
Arty
Ex Member

Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller
Reply #165 - 10/26/09 at 19:15:56

Castillonis wrote on 10/26/09 at 18:59:55:
Our imager firmware scrolls the menu list on the lcd. It also has submenus such as options and expert options to keep the scrolled list from becoming too long

Hmm. Maybe that scroll is a good idea after all...

IP Logged

wookiee2cu
Ex Member

Reply #166 - 10/27/09 at 00:08:45

Arty, I have a quick question for you regarding the remote.  I just purchased it recently along with the shutter release cable for the Canon 40D, very nice remote!  My question is this, I have enabled the shutter cable in the set-up for the remote, do I still have to set the lens to manual focus before I shoot?  I left the lens in autofocus mode, pressed the focus button on the remote, it locked focus and then I hit start.  It started taking a few of the shots but then locked up with an error.  I then switched the lens to manual focus mode and clicked start on the remote and it worked fine.  I wasn’t sure if it had an issue because of my other settings (stops between brackets, number of shots) or if in fact the lens has to be in manual focus mode regardless of having the shutter release cable.  If the latter is the case, then what is the focus button for on the remote?  My current process is set lens focus mode to automatic, set camera mode dial to manual, set aperture, adjust shutter so that it is at dead zero in the exposure metering, press the shutter half way to lock focus, switch the focus button on the lens to manual, press start on the remote.  The reason I ask this is because I want to start shooting HDR panos and I’m wondering if I will need to go through this process for each position of the camera of switching the lens focus mode back and forth between automatic and manual.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #167 - 10/27/09 at 10:36:39

I would recommend that you use the manual focus mode.  A camera is not always able to realize focus because of issues such as
  • low light
  • objects at different distances
  • low contrast
  • objects in scene move
  • bright light source relative to overall lighting

If the camera cannot achieve good focus for the length of time that the signal shorts the focus pin to ground then the shutter will not be actuated if the lens is in the autofocus mode.  So when achieving good focus is possible, you may need to give the camera more time.

You can realize better critical focus by using the joystick to move the white rectangle to an area that you want to focus on while live view is enabled.  ( You enable live view by pressing the button at the center of the large dial.  It is necessary to enable live using the menu as the default is that live view is disabled )  Then press the small + button to magnify the screen to 5x and then again to 10x.  This should allow you to realize a better critical focus that you can achieve using AF.

Note:  You are not able to access the menu system on Canon or Nikon when the remote shutter cable or USB or plugged in

Note:  The Nikon cameras have focus motor in the camera body as well as some lenses.  You must switch the switch to M for manual focus as well as any lens switch for AF/M focus.

Note:  The Nikon live view mode is on the dial at the top left of the camera body for cameras with the 10 pin remote shutter connector.

An exception to setting a Canon lens to AF would be if you are using a laptop or netbook with Breeze Systems remote control software and want to focus bracket along with exposure bracketing.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #168 - 10/27/09 at 17:44:41

Castillonis wrote on 10/27/09 at 10:36:39:
I would recommend that you use the manual focus mode.  A camera is not always able to realize focus because of issues such as
  • low light
  • objects at different distances
  • low contrast
  • objects in scene move
  • bright light source relative to overall lighting

If the camera cannot achieve good focus for the length of time that the signal shorts the focus pin to ground then the shutter will not be actuated if the lens is in the autofocus mode.  So when achieving good focus is possible, you may need to give the camera more time.

You can realize better critical focus by using the joystick to move the white rectangle to an area that you want to focus on while live view is enabled.  ( You enable live view by pressing the button at the center of the large dial.  It is necessary to enable live using the menu as the default is that live view is disabled )  Then press the small + button to magnify the screen to 5x and then again to 10x.  This should allow you to realize a better critical focus that you can achieve using AF.

Note:  You are not able to access the menu system on Canon or Nikon when the remote shutter cable or USB or plugged in

Note:  The Nikon cameras have focus motor in the camera body as well as some lenses.  You must switch the switch to M for manual focus as well as any lens switch for AF/M focus.

Note:  The Nikon live view mode is on the dial at the top left of the camera body for cameras with the 10 pin remote shutter connector.

An exception to setting a Canon lens to AF would be if you are using a laptop or netbook with Breeze Systems remote control software and want to focus bracket along with exposure bracketing.

Great answer, thank you so much! I couldn't have said it better Smiley

IP Logged

wookiee2cu
Ex Member

Reply #169 - 10/27/09 at 23:55:37

I've never messed around with live view because I haven't had any issues with my focus system; plus doesn't it drain the batteries faster?  My buddy that I go shooting with has a 30D so that's not even a possiblity for him, that's why I had my initial question.  

All I'm trying to find out is if in HDR mode, can I leave the lens in AF mode and it should work or is it mandatory that the lens be in manual focus mode?  When I tried it with the lens focus mode being left on AF I got an error message and it locked up my camera.  I had to turn my camera off to get the shutter to close.  I was under the impression with the shutter release cable I could leave the lens in AF mode, use the focus button on the remote and then hit start; reducing the number of times I had to actually touch the camera.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #170 - 10/28/09 at 01:57:13

Quote:
I've never messed around with live view because I haven't had any issues with my focus system; plus doesn't it drain the batteries faster?  My buddy that I go shooting with has a 30D so that's not even a possiblity for him, that's why I had my initial question.  

All I'm trying to find out is if in HDR mode, can I leave the lens in AF mode and it should work or is it mandatory that the lens be in manual focus mode?  When I tried it with the lens focus mode being left on AF I got an error message and it locked up my camera.  I had to turn my camera off to get the shutter to close.  I was under the impression with the shutter release cable I could leave the lens in AF mode, use the focus button on the remote and then hit start; reducing the number of times I had to actually touch the camera.

Theoretically you should be able to do so. Unfortunately many cameras try to re-focus all the way when you re-press the shutter release button (and internally that's what Promote Control does with its shutter cable). When trying to re-focus, they often go the whole way to the end of the focusing range and back - and depending on your lens, it might take 1-2 seconds... that's seconds taken off the time that Promote Control thinks the camera should be taking the picture already. It's impossible to predict how long it will take the camera to acquire the focus - and worst of all, cameras don't report success or failure on focusing operations (it's just not a part of the protocol). So we have to play safe and recommend MF - so that camera cannot possibly mess with focusing and throw a carefully engineered sequence out of timing.

IP Logged

Scottes
Ex Member

Reply #171 - 10/28/09 at 15:20:48

My eyesight sucks so manual focus has never worked well for me - camera AF is much better. So I usually auto-focus on something at the appropriate distance, and then flip the AF-MF switch on the lens to MF, effectively disabling auto-focus. I got into this habit for panos, and it works well for HDR too.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #172 - 10/28/09 at 17:17:42

Quote:
My eyesight sucks so manual focus has never worked well for me - camera AF is much better. So I usually auto-focus on something at the appropriate distance, and then flip the AF-MF switch on the lens to MF, effectively disabling auto-focus. I got into this habit for panos, and it works well for HDR too.

... exactly what I do as well. I trust AF sensors better than my eye, except for one case - if I'm shooting a distant landscape, then I normally set it to F8 or F11, focusing to MF and infinity - and that's it.

IP Logged

wookiee2cu
Ex Member

Reply #173 - 10/28/09 at 17:58:00

Arty, thanks for the answer.  Maybe the reason I got the error is because of the other settings I entered (stop distance and number of shots).  Another reason I was wondering about being able to shoot with the lens being left in AF is because I have a Tokina 12-24 and in order to put the lens into manual focus I have to slide the focus ring back towards the camera body which causes the focus setting to change.  Thanks again, I will have to look into live view when I use my Tokina.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #174 - 10/29/09 at 16:53:12

We've got some good news for all you Rebel shooters - the Canon CN2 shutter cable, compatible with Rebels from 400D and up, is now on sale! Come on over and get one for yourself Smiley

IP Logged

Photosignals
Ex Member

Reply #175 - 10/29/09 at 20:06:14

Quote:
Arty, is there any way you could develop a USB cord with the camera side at a right angle, like the Canon remote shutter release?

Yup - just starting to use the unit in anger for HDR architecture.  The major issue is the shutter cable and the USB cable just don't fit into theLl-Brackets stopping all portrait shooting.  Both the shutter release and the USB cable are too tall.

Sadly, from the UK, the shipping option on a new left-angle MINI-A cable extension is $33+ ... for a $5 bit <sigh>.

As the Promote unit is absolutely ideal for architecture shooters, might it be possible to design the cables to work with 'l' brackets.

I'm going to look into the bracket extension but this adds another bit of instability into the equation and I am a bit reluctant to make things even more sensitive to vibrations.

Aside from that, the unit is a delight ... really looking forward to the new firmware.

IP Logged

marquee
Ex Member

Reply #176 - 10/30/09 at 23:21:25

what would be cool is to have the usb cable made retractable like a manual tape measure with a lever to turn making it easier to retract and easy to just pull enough out to attach it to the camera

IP Logged

discocandy
Ex Member

Reply #177 - 11/03/09 at 15:32:13

Hi Arty.
I also would like to test the beta version for my review.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #178 - 11/03/09 at 18:16:09

Quote:
what would be cool is to have the usb cable made retractable like a manual tape measure with a lever to turn making it easier to retract and easy to just pull enough out to attach it to the camera

Those I've seen were pretty thin cables made for desktop use, I'd probably suggest carrying two of those in case one breaks.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #179 - 11/03/09 at 18:20:12

Quote:
Hi Arty.
I also would like to test the beta version for my review.

Oh sorry, I forgot to set a notification about PMs sent via the board. Sent you a link in PM Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 34
Send Topic Print