Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Bracketing Controller (Read 171532 times)
Arty
Ex Member

Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller
Reply #150 - 10/21/09 at 16:25:51

Castillonis wrote on 10/21/09 at 08:58:38:
I agree with you about the voltage if that signal is 12v relative to gnd.  People will plug anything that fits.

I just rcvd my promote today and I did a quick successful test with my new imager.  I set the imager 'time per pic' to a value long enough for the entire capture.  The imager triggers the Promote and waits 'time per pic'.  Then the robot moves to the next position and triggers the Promote again.  I wish I had ordered this a few days earlier.  I was taking some panoramas with my imager during the day this past Sunday and I really could have used this capability.

A note about the Olympus E-5xx series.  Unfortunately the E-500 body firmware has focus bracketing but does not have the RM-UC1 remote trigger capability.  The E-510, E-520, E-620 have the wired remote trigger but do NOT have the focus bracketing feature.

Great to know about the pano trigger... looks like we got another cool field setup! As for Olys, we've tried to make an Oly 420 compatible with Promote, but they used a protocol that is so different that I'm not sure when it might be supported. Plus, someone told me that Oly sensors have the worst DR in current DSLR market, so it might make limited sense to pursue that goal.

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #151 - 10/21/09 at 17:48:14

The Olympus camera bodies are company bodies that were acquired for testing because I am not able to find them at local Photo stores.  We had to buy a Nikon D80 that uses the MC-DC1 connector as well.  I have often read of people using Olympus on forums and wanted to ensure that the camera is supported.  They also are light and small and work on the Epic 100.  It is a 4/3" sensor with a slightly higher pixel density on the sensor of 3.3 MP/cm^2 for the E-500 and 4.1 MP/cm^2 for the E-520 according to dpreview.com.  Though I am sure you are already aware of all this.

Canon EOS 40D   3.1 MP/cm^2  ( 22.2 x 14.8mm )
Nikon D80           2.7 MP/cm^2
Olympus 500       3.3 MP/cm^2  ( 8 MP, sensor 18.00 x 13.50mm )
Olympus 520       4.1 MP/cm^2

http://www.dpreview.com

Here is some interesting information from flickr on camera usage.  The audience is probably different from the HDR audience, but the sample is large.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras

Any chance I can try the 1.15 Beta?  I would love to try out the DOF calculator and see the visualization of the capture range.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #152 - 10/21/09 at 20:03:43

Castillonis wrote on 10/21/09 at 17:48:14:
The Olympus camera bodies are company bodies that were acquired for testing because I am not able to find them at local Photo stores.  We had to buy a Nikon D80 that uses the MC-DC1 connector as well.  I have often read of people using Olympus on forums and wanted to ensure that the camera is supported.  They also are light and small and work on the Epic 100.  It is a 4/3" sensor with a slightly higher pixel density on the sensor of 3.3 MP/cm^2 for the E-500 and 4.1 MP/cm^2 for the E-520 according to dpreview.com.  Though I am sure you are already aware of all this.

Canon EOS 40D   3.1 MP/cm^2  ( 22.2 x 14.8mm )
Nikon D80           2.7 MP/cm^2
Olympus 500       3.3 MP/cm^2  ( 8 MP, sensor 18.00 x 13.50mm )
Olympus 520       4.1 MP/cm^2

http://www.dpreview.com

Here is some interesting information from flickr on camera usage.  The audience is probably different from the HDR audience, but the sample is large.

http://www.flickr.com/cameras

Any chance I can try the 1.15 Beta?  I would love to try out the DOF calculator and see the visualization of the capture range.

Sure - let me know your email and I will send you a link. What camera are you shooting with?

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #153 - 10/21/09 at 20:27:12

I mainly shoot with a Canon 40D.  I rent the Nikon D700 and Canon 5D mark II for important shoots.  I sent you my email via a private message.  Thanks : )

IP Logged

Clive Mitchell
Ex Member

Reply #154 - 10/24/09 at 14:14:55

If you are making up a wants list, how about a SD/CF card slot and save to the remote, and focus input for focus stacking? Grin

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #155 - 10/24/09 at 20:20:09

We should probably return to discussing something more practical like how to attach the promote to the tripod, panoramic head, or robot.

Quote:
Reply #154 - Today at 14:14:55 Quote
If you are making up a wants list, how about a SD/CF card slot and save to the remote, and focus input for focus stacking? Grin

I cannot think of a reason why you would want to duplicate the functionality of the camera and transfer images to a removable flash memory card on the remote.  What benefit would that give you?  If you use a netbook to control the camera and it transfers the photos to the computer, there would be potential advantages.  You can use a bigger screen to look for problems such as poor focus, or you can edit the photo with photoshop.  Another benefit of a netbook would be that you could send the photos to another location while on location or soon after.  The reason the Panocam has a SD memory card is that it uses a nintendo as the computer platform and the firmware is stored on the memory card.  You are able to upgrade firmware on the internal flash memory of the promote, so you don't need a removable card for firmware. 

What do you mean by a focus input?  The remote shutter connectors usually have pins that actuate the shutter and focus the camera.  Some devices only connect the shutter actuation pin or connect both simultaneously. Focus stacking will probably take a long time to implement if Promote systems chooses to do that because it is not implemented in the simpler protocol over USB.  They will only be able to implement it on cameras that have the capability such as Canon SLRs with live view after they look at the USB datastream using a software or hardware USB analyzer and parsing the traffic with software.  Analyzing a protocol over USB is not easy.

If you want to focus stack along with the exposure bracketing on Canon live view cameras you can use software such as Breeze browser's DSLR Remote Pro or the EOS utility on a netbook or laptop.  If you want it to be automated, you would need to use something like autohotkey to drive the GUI.  Though, this is extra equipment and complexity.

IP Logged

Clive Mitchell
Ex Member

Reply #156 - 10/24/09 at 20:40:51

I'm glad that you take life so seriously, it gives me more to laugh at. I use NKRemote with a Samsung NC10 netbook and mobile broadband for the times I need to upload. So I have all bases covered. The Promote allows me to be more portable than before, as to developing a mounting system for the ultimate rig velcro does it for me.

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #157 - 10/24/09 at 21:36:29

Portability and simplicity is why I love the Promote controller as well.  I needed to lug my Merlin / Orion and netbook for capture of exposure brackets during the day or capture the moon without touching my camera.  I have the panoCamera which is great, but it cannot do shutter speeds faster than 1 second w/ correct EXIF info and about 1/20 of a second  depending upon the camera.

Sometimes I need to focus bracketing  and it can be so difficult to haul all of that gear to the location of the shot.

What type of stuff do you shoot with the Promote controller?  I am hoping to have some time to shoot with the 1.15 beta firmware this weekend.  I love the hyperfocal distance calculator feature.

IP Logged

Clive Mitchell
Ex Member

Reply #158 - 10/24/09 at 21:56:59

Most of my work is 360 panos, with the majority being old and ancient building interiors so they always have a lack of available light, hence the Promote. Climbing up a ridiculous amount of stairs makes you appreciate the portability that the Promote gives. Now I have it, having spent ridiculous amounts of hard earned cash before on ultimate laptops and software, it is the one item that goes with me at all times and all places. In the UK it is expensive, thanks to import duty and VAT, however it is more than earning it's keep. For anyone in the UK it is now available through Rd Door VR in Leeds (plug).

Hey Castillonis have a beer and relax now and again, enjoy life. Wink

IP Logged

discocandy
Ex Member

Reply #159 - 10/25/09 at 13:52:14

Castillonis wrote on 10/24/09 at 20:20:09:
We should probably return to discussing something more practical like how to attach the promote to the tripod, panoramic head, or robot.

Well I think Sam showed a good way to do it with a NN5.
I've got a NN3 so space is more limited.
but still I manged to make a somehow usefull setup for myself.
tnx to sam for his ideas and my little son for one of his wooden buildingblocks  Wink

I am writing for a dutch online photoblog where I told them about the promote (dutch article). I promised to give them a good review of the promote.

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #160 - 10/26/09 at 11:20:07

Discocandy,  Thanks for showing us your 360 set up for the NN3.

Arty,  Steve who created the PanoCamera and has a Promote suggested that you add the "walk away" delay that the PanoCamera has.  It is a delay before starting the capture to allow for you to get away from the gear or allow things to settle after disturbing the camera by touching the Promote.  The default value could be zero seconds.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #161 - 10/26/09 at 17:14:30

Castillonis wrote on 10/26/09 at 11:20:07:
Discocandy,  Thanks for showing us your 360 set up for the NN3.

Arty,  Steve who created the PanoCamera and has a Promote suggested that you add the "walk away" delay that the PanoCamera has.  It is a delay before starting the capture to allow for you to get away from the gear or allow things to settle after disturbing the camera by touching the Promote.  The default value could be zero seconds.

Yep, we have that in the works for the HDR. I wish we had 2 more lines on the LCD though, it'd make placing things so much easier.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #162 - 10/26/09 at 17:22:34

Well, I'd actually wish your LCD would be a graphical pixel interface. Maybe that's something for v2. As cool and useful as the new sequence preview is, it does look a bit plain from a GUI design standpoint.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #163 - 10/26/09 at 18:15:24

Blochi wrote on 10/26/09 at 17:22:34:
Well, I'd actually wish your LCD would be a graphical pixel interface. Maybe that's something for v2. As cool and useful as the new sequence preview is, it does look a bit plain from a GUI design standpoint.

Agreed, it does. And in fact our LCD is graphic - so we can technically output different stuff as long as it's B&W only (no gray shades). Do you think the font size could possibly be reduced in favor of fitting more info?

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #164 - 10/26/09 at 18:59:55

Our imager firmware scrolls the menu list on the lcd. It also has submenus such as options and expert options to keep the scrolled list from becoming too long

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 34
Send Topic Print