Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 34
Send Topic Print
Promote Control Bracketing Controller (Read 170411 times)
Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller
Reply #135 - 10/16/09 at 11:32:54

I would only use focus bracketing for subjects that have close and far elements at focal lengths of about 50mm x 1.6 crop factor = 80mm effective.  I would make tradeoffs unless I wanted to lose my sanity.  The waterfalls that I have been shooting are a good example for a tradeoff with exposure and focus bracketing.  Unfortunately I would need to do this selectively because of the plant movement from the wind from the waterfalls.  This is where APG and Ptgui's enblend, and layers help.

I actually do record sound using an H2 Zoom, but it has been in for repair.  Sometimes I carry a small Panasonic 3CCD DV video camera and I also take some macro shots, but I have mostly been archiving it and saving it for later use as I have been too busy.  I need to buy one of the newer camera bodies that are video capable so that I do not need to carry a video camera.  There is a Roland audio recorder with a good limiter that doesn't need heavy XLR cables.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #136 - 10/16/09 at 19:59:31

Blochi wrote on 10/16/09 at 08:01:45:
Giga-pixel sized exposure AND focus bracketing? Now you're just getting greedy... Wink  How about throwing in a laser scan and a Hi-Fi audio recording?

Haha, someone here already offered a back scratcher... why not, we're in XXI century for sanity's sake Smiley

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #137 - 10/16/09 at 23:20:44

Fresh from the forge: The 1.15 beta is ready for limited public beta. Aside of 1.14 beta changes, it has:

- Capability to adapt to smaller buffer cameras by slowing down its framerate with shutter cable. It will do so at five different levels - from "no slowdown at all" to "an extra delay starting from first frame taken", and medium levels will use a progressive slowdown to allow you to shoot short HDR sequences without slowdown that would only be needed for the longer ones (when the buffer gets filled). Probably an overkill, but we don't want to revisit this once again Smiley

- Drumrolls please - a preview of the HDR sequence you're about to shoot. The preview changes as you play with settings, and says "Invalid Settings" if you fall out of range. How cool is that?

Of course it got all 1.14 beta bells and whistles:

- Hyperfocal Calculator

- Time-Lapse up to 9999 shots

- various bug fixes and stability improvements

If you've got a Promote Control, a Windows PC and you want to try it out before we post it for GA, drop me a line here with your contact info and I will email you the beta release. You can rollback to 1.05 at any moment if you want to.
« Last Edit: 10/17/09 at 00:33:15 by N/A »  

IP Logged

Stephen Weiss
Ex Member

Promote Control Bracketing Controller connection
Reply #138 - 10/17/09 at 03:54:02

My D5000 has a micro USB port, the promote cable is mini USB, how do I connect?

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #139 - 10/17/09 at 06:32:17

Arty, that is absolutely awesome. Thank you so much, I love the fact that you listen so closely to all the things said here. It really feels like we're able to make a difference.
Sign me up, I'd love to give it a shot. You have my email.

Blochi

IP Logged

jujubee
Ex Member

Reply #140 - 10/19/09 at 12:52:36

Arty - what do you mean by 'preview'???

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #141 - 10/19/09 at 14:34:26

When he says preview, he is referring to the discussion about shutter speed end points and bars to represent each exposure or stops.   I have not seen it yet, but he is saying that preview communicates the range of exposures that you have programmed the device to capture.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #142 - 10/19/09 at 20:51:48

Castillonis wrote on 10/19/09 at 14:34:26:
When he says preview, he is referring to the discussion about shutter speed end points and bars to represent each exposure or stops.   I have not seen it yet, but he is saying that preview communicates the range of exposures that you have programmed the device to capture.

Exactly that! It won't show every single exposure value, but it will show the boundaries.

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Re: Promote Control Bracketing Controller connection
Reply #143 - 10/19/09 at 20:54:10

Quote:
My D5000 has a micro USB port, the promote cable is mini USB, how do I connect?

OK, this is something we need to address. The D5000 was listed as supported based on the common protocol implementation - but Nikon decided to make our lifes fun and introduced a weird USB connector that houses both video and USB in it. Stephen, I will send you an adapter to use with your Nikon-branded USB cable - and in future we will probably end up bundling that adapter with all Promote Controls. Thank you, Mr. Nikon Smiley

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #144 - 10/19/09 at 20:57:02

Blochi wrote on 10/17/09 at 06:32:17:
Arty, that is absolutely awesome. Thank you so much, I love the fact that you listen so closely to all the things said here. It really feels like we're able to make a difference.
Sign me up, I'd love to give it a shot. You have my email.

Sent you an email. Let me know if you find it useful!

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #145 - 10/20/09 at 10:06:12

Thank you for adding the DOF calculator.   My cell phone based DOF doesn't work anymore.  I also may photograph something that I have not planned.

I found mini USB to micro USB adaptors on Amazon and Ebay.  I know
that this is not optimal, but maybe it is a work around for now.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dkindle-accessories&field-ke...

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #146 - 10/20/09 at 15:43:29

Castillonis wrote on 10/20/09 at 10:06:12:
Thank you for adding the DOF calculator.   My cell phone based DOF doesn't work anymore.  I also may photograph something that I have not planned.

I found mini USB to micro USB adaptors on Amazon and Ebay.  I know
that this is not optimal, but maybe it is a work around for now.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dkindle-accessories&field-ke...

Thanks, although I'm afraid it might be a different pinout that what Nikon used. Video signal is not supposed to be a part of the USB physical layer, so I think Nikon may have actually used a similar but different connector.

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #147 - 10/20/09 at 23:14:40

They probably just multiplex different inputs to the interface.  Olympus uses a mini USB interface for USB, video, and a remote shutter RM-UC1 with the E-510, E-520, E-620 camera bodies.  USB is already a high speed interface.  Nikon just needs to design the PCB well so that things like crosstalk, impedance matching, EMI, bulk capacitance are addressed for all of the signals feeding into the micro USB connector.  On the Olympus the default mode is USB with the ability to change the mode using the menu system.  

IP Logged

Arty
Ex Member

Reply #148 - 10/20/09 at 23:59:51

Castillonis wrote on 10/20/09 at 23:14:40:
They probably just multiplex different input to the interface.  Olympus uses a mini USB interface for USB, video, remote shutter RM-UC1 with the E-510, E-520, E-620 camera bodies.  USB is already a high speed interface.  Nikon just needs to design the PCB well so that things like crosstalk, impedance matching, EMI, bulk capacitance are addressed for all of the signals feeding into the micro USB connector.  

Well I could imagine using different wires for USB and video... but multiplexing USB 2.0 with its 125 us precision for SOF signal on the same wire with analog video looks like an unstable solution to me. All in all, I'm not a big fan of putting signals into connectors that aren't made for those signals... people are known to connect all sorts of wires to wherever they fit, and guess who's to blame if a designer ends up choosing a standard USB jack to supply 12V Smiley

IP Logged

Castillonis

Curious Apprentice

Portland, Oregon
Reply #149 - 10/21/09 at 08:58:38

I agree with you about the voltage if that signal is 12v relative to gnd.  People will plug anything that fits.

I just rcvd my promote today and I did a quick successful test with my new imager.  I set the imager 'time per pic' to a value long enough for the entire capture.  The imager triggers the Promote and waits 'time per pic'.  Then the robot moves to the next position and triggers the Promote again.  I wish I had ordered this a few days earlier.  I was taking some panoramas with my imager during the day this past Sunday and I really could have used this capability.

A note about the Olympus E-5xx series.  Unfortunately the E-500 body firmware has focus bracketing but does not have the RM-UC1 remote trigger capability.  The E-510, E-520, E-620 have the wired remote trigger but do NOT have the focus bracketing feature.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 34
Send Topic Print