Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Reflection blows out mr shaders in Maya (Read 6042 times)
Ikaria
YaBB Newbies

Curious Apprentice

Reflection blows out mr shaders in Maya
01/23/08 at 23:47:41

Hi,

A good number of MR shaders (mia shaders, dielectric, ect) seems to render as bright white flashes
when 'create refection map' is checked in the sIBL Loader v0.15a. Has anyone come across this? Any work arounds? I'm using Maya 8.5 and 2008, same results.

Thank you,
- Igor
« Last Edit: 06/10/08 at 06:29:33 by Blochi »  

IP Logged

Tripuco
Ex Member

Re: Reflection blows out mr shaders in Maya
Reply #1 - 02/18/08 at 13:06:58

Hey Igor,

i have the same problem and spend a lot of time for a solution. I think the problem is, that all three images cast finalgather. But the main problem is the reflection sphere. I tried to change the ref and the env.hdr, so the mentalrayiblShape got the ref.hdr (settings: - visible in reflections/refractions/finalgather on, rest off), for the original ref sphere (with env file) RenderStats= cast shadows/smooth shading/opposite on, rest off // MentalRay= all off except cast/receive FinalGather.

Then it shod work. Another problem is the background sphere. If you turn out cast/receive FinalGather, the image becomes very dark. But with this setting on, the background influence color and the lighting (and the rendertime). For this i realy dont know a solution...

Theese bright white flashes appers only on physikal correct shaders (with 32bit output) The basic maya shaders work best.

i have rendered a few example images to show the problem

vergleich_sIBL.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

mantered
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/23/08 at 21:58:16

I had the same problem .. the problem is that the surface shader is not assigned to the ShadingGroup
in the MEL script .. the ref_  should be ref_ss in the connectAttr comand Wink

everything works fine now!
thanks for the script !

ps. here you have attached the working one Wink

sIBL.zip (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Ikaria
YaBB Newbies

Curious Apprentice

Reply #3 - 02/24/08 at 00:57:05

I was feeling guilty about not trying as hard as Tripuco, but now that I see it was a code bug I'm glad there was someone much more capable on hand -- thanks Mantered! I just tried it out and your fix works beautifully with all the mia's working as expected.

The only thing some might want to change is reverse the primary visibility settings for the background and ibl spheres i.e. the high res background to ON and low res ibl to OFF.

This is awesome! Smiley

IP Logged

mestela
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/02/08 at 00:06:02

That render looks like a shaderglow error (for some reason it turns itself on with FG sometimes). Open the shaderglow material, set all glow modes to 'none', that should fix it.

IP Logged

volXen
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/05/08 at 18:21:52

Thank you very much for finding this bug, mantered!
The fix will be included in the next version of the sIBL-loader!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print