Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My Photos come out red (Read 8629 times)
jakefotoman
YaBB Newbies

Curious Apprentice

My Photos come out red
01/04/08 at 15:59:03

when i process an hdri, the resulting come out red. Help!

IP Logged

Marc

Curious Apprentice

Hamburg
Re: My Photos come out red
Reply #1 - 01/19/08 at 11:20:57

Hi jakefotoman,

sorry for the very later answer, but I was on hollyday.

The problem is that Picturenaut sometimes can't recover
the camera response curve. For that you can create a
HDRI with a precomputed camera curve. You find that
option in the drop down box with the label "curve" in the
MKHDRI dialog.

Regards,
Marc

IP Logged

mylou

Curious Apprentice

Reply #2 - 03/17/08 at 20:43:24

Hi, all,

This is my first post here.  My pictures are turning out red, too. 

What I did:
1. Shot 3 bracketed raw close-up images of a couple of back- and top-lit leaves against a dark background of foliage (indoor plants near a window with a light overhead).  The camera is a Canon 400d. 
2. Used ufraw to convert each raw image to a linear prophoto 16-bit tif, no exposure correction whatsoever. 
3. Used exiftool to copy the exif information over to the tifs, as ufraw doesn't know how to transfer exif information to a tif. 
4. Assembled the hdr with Picturenaut.  I picked "linear" in the drop-down menu, because I asked ufraw to output "gamma=1" images.  I tone-mapped the hdr using the photoreceptor physiology mapping and saved as a tif.
5. I opened the ldr in photoshop and assigned the prophoto icc color profile (see step 2).  OUCH! red, red, red.  So I assigned the sRGB color profile (thus totally throwing away all that lovely color "space" captured by my camera).  And presto - the images looked normal, looked pretty much like they looked in Picturenaut.
6. I tried the suggestion of letting Picturenaut calculate the curve and then tone-map the resulting hdr.  The results (in Picturenaut - I didn't save the output) were very, very green and blocky - many areas had lost all tonal variation, became solid blocks of color.

My question:  Is Picturenaut "color aware"?  Can it be part of a color-managed workflow?  Or is it confined to the use of sRGB as its primaries, meaning I should have asked ufraw to output to the sRGB colorspace primaries, perhaps with a gamma of 1 (ufraw lets you make these kind of choices)?  Or am I totally confused here and doing something really wrong? 

Thanks so very much for responding.  The results in Picturenaut look soooo good - it would be nice to get them out of Picturenaut and into the world where I can show them off!

mylou

ps: as you might be able to tell from my choice of software, my OS of choice is linux (photoshop is in a VirtualBox inside linux).  Picturenaut runs really well under the latest wine, although the very bottom of the tonemapping box is missing (just hit enter instead of clicking on the ok box).

IP Logged

mylou

Curious Apprentice

Reply #3 - 03/17/08 at 20:46:50

Here's the same image but with the assigned profile srgb instead of prophoto.

mylou

IP Logged

davidb

Irritant

UK
Reply #4 - 01/17/14 at 12:25:28

What algorithm does Picturenaut use to fit the response curve?  A standard least square fit?

I had exactly this issue with some HDR merge code I was experimenting with.  The response was being broken by a noisy area of the image.  I got around it by changing the curve fitting to use RANSAC. 

It's fairly simple to build it on top of any standard fit routine.

WWW davidb  
IP Logged

Aaron Ho

Curious Apprentice

Reply #5 - 05/19/14 at 11:30:29

The only way to adjust the red color is to tweak the white balance settings. A cot of people use auto mode without checking the color temperatures.

Real estate Photography Sydney

http://fivespot.snack.ws/

IP Logged

brownpaperbag
YaBB Newbies

Curious Apprentice

Reply #6 - 11/22/15 at 07:43:35

4485 views and not a single solution. Picturenaut simply fails for me to assemble RAW images from a 5Dmk3 or a 6D they come out RED ever time. I have tried all the curve settings and the results are just as poor.Needless to say its pretty disappointing.

B

IP Logged

stek
YaBB Newbies

Curious Apprentice

Reply #7 - 01/05/16 at 23:29:29

I Have the same problem with a Canon 70D.
All images are red. When I convert the files ind DNG (LR Raw) then the pictures are not red but with some strange horizontal lines..

If 70D format will not been supported, the Tool is unusable for me  Cry Cry Cry Cry

regards
Stefano

Immagine_1.png (398 KB | 44 )
Immagine_1.png

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print