Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
File formats for HDR pano (Read 3363 times)
chrismmurray
Ex Member

File formats for HDR pano
10/23/07 at 05:19:52

Howdy,

I'm trying to use hugin to stitch sets of panos that will then be merged into HDR's. I've tried using NEF RAW data, RGBE (.hdr - unmerged). But these really don't seem to work with the autopano1.03 plugin (even though the help docs say they do).

I only seem to get the stitcher to work if its a jpg. Will using jpgs for pre-HDR images sets diminish the final HDR image when they are merged together?

Thanks,

Chris

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Re: File formats for HDR pano
Reply #1 - 10/25/07 at 03:52:56

With hugin I used to do all the initial setup on the middle exposure JPGs (I shoot mostly JPGs anyway). Controlpoints, Optimize, al the output options, all set. Then save the project, and move the projectile into a folder with the HDRIs, and load it up again. It will complain that it cant find the images, and you can point it to the HDRIs. Then everything will pop into place.

Blochi

IP Logged

chrismmurray
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/25/07 at 04:05:19

Thanks for the quick reply.

That process I was following. (the one you mentioned about replacing images). But it still didn't work.

I did, however find a comment in the Autopano 1.03 release notes that RAW data files were still problematic. Some work and some don't. I suspect its a "flavor" of the RAW format.

jpgs work OK. I was just wondering what impact using jpgs as the initial file thats merged into an HDR has on the quality of the resulting HDR.

Thanks,

Chris

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #3 - 10/25/07 at 17:58:24

Well, I am using JPGs all the time. Mainly because they're easier to handle, especially when you deal with the amount of images needed for a panorama. Technically, a RAW file holds about 1 EV more information on both ends of the intensity scale. A little more on the bright side, actually, and a little less on the dark end. But each JPEG is essentially giving you another sample of all the brightness values in-between, so once they are merged you average out all the noise and the difference between RAW and JPG sources is fading away....

Blochi

IP Logged

FrankAI

Curious Apprentice

Reply #4 - 11/01/07 at 19:46:44

Yesterday i shoot some Nightpictures, normaly i take the RAW format if i would make a good picture. I take 9 different expousersteps. At home i put them together in Picturenaut, direct out of the RAW files the result was cruel... extreme nois. Is the reason only because i thake the RAW format? Or is it possible that i take a picture with too much light (shutter too long open)?

Greetz
Franky

FrankAI  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print