Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Home Help Search Login Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Will sIBL wor with 64 bit (Read 12322 times)
animotion
Ex Member

Will sIBL wor with 64 bit
10/14/07 at 08:06:24

Hi I just downloaded sIBL for LW onto a 64 bit machine, loaded the plugin and tried to run it.
It gives me the first time message but when I pick the location where I put the sets, it will not except it.

I tried it on a 32 bit machine and it went ok. Embarrassed

Is sIBL compatible with 64 bit
XPro sp2
2 gig ram
3 Ghz dual core

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Re: Will sIBL wor with 64 bit
Reply #1 - 10/14/07 at 18:02:10

Weird. I have it running on 64bit myself with no problems.
Does it work when you manually paste the path into the the field on the Preferences Tab?

Blochi

IP Logged

animotion
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/14/07 at 18:33:47

What preferences tab?

I can't even get past the first time message in order to get to any menu.

IP Logged

animotion
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/14/07 at 18:49:22

The error that I get is "The sIBL Collection should be the root folder, where the actual sets live as subfolders" and the it quits the plugin.

I have tried every combination of folders, subfolders, putting it in this drive, that drive, inside the LW folder etc. and all have the same error.

Like I said above I tried it on a 32 bit machine and it worked without any error.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #4 - 10/14/07 at 22:06:29

hmmm ... I remember there was a bug like this, but I though tI have it fixed. Did you try the latest version of the plugin? It should be v1.0

http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/downloads/sibl-loader_lightwave.zip

Blochi

IP Logged

animotion
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/15/07 at 01:19:10

That did not work. I'm sure thats the same version that I downloaded last knight anyway.

IP Logged

artstorm
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/19/07 at 16:02:56

Did you ever find out what the problem was with this?

I just got a new computer, running Vista x64, and I have stumbled upon the same problem. When starting sIBL and selecting the paths, I get the error message "Sorry, I can't work with that..."

Any idea what the problem can be? Or could I manually create the config settings somehow?

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #7 - 12/19/07 at 16:30:09

Sorry, I'm a little behind with the updates. My apologies.

One thing I found for sure, is that LScript in the release version of LW 9.3 64bit is incredibly flaky. Half my scripts stop working or act weird when you have a scene of decent size. So, the fist step would be to update to LW 9.31 (or beta or whatever the latest is you can find).

You can change the installer path manually, but the setting is hidden a bit in your registry. I have no Vista, but I assume it's the same like for XP 64:

-go to start menu
-hit Run
-type "regedit" and hit Enter
-go to Edit/Find
-search for "siblDir"
-it should find it under HKEY_USERS...somecrypticnumber...Software/Newtek/LScript
-doubleclick the line and enter the correct path
-mine looks like "Z:\elements\sIBL-Collection" (without a trailing \ )

Hope this works for you. If there is no such entry, just make one with "New/String Value".
Oh, and please do tell me what your wrong path was, maybe that helps tracking it down...

Blochi

IP Logged

artstorm
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/19/07 at 16:58:19

Hehe, no the path wasn't wrong.
I guess that it just doesn't save the entry to the register from lscript at all when selecting the paths from the prompts.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help. I used the regedit app and added the siblDir entry to the register manually and voila, the plugin started up and had the correct path in both LW 9.3.1 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Smiley

I know that under Vista sometimes applications need to run in an admin state to be allowed to make changes to the register, but it shouldn't be the case here as it's in LightWaves "space". And when I was in the register I saw that Lightbitch had made some entry into it, so it had been able to save to the register then.

One note though. Under 64bit, by some reason it finds the ibl sets and .ibl files (and displays the names and descriptions) but doesn't display the previews or loads the images when selecting a set. But switching to 32 bit it works perfect all the way. So it's not a big thing for me. I just set the scene up in 32 bit lightwave, save it and then jump back to the 64 bit version and load the scene. Worked just fine doing it in that way. I guess that's more of a problem with the 64 bit LW than sibl then.

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #9 - 12/19/07 at 18:45:25

Oh, well, THAT is definitely a problem with the release version of LW9.3 / 64bit. We have the same at work. Check in Help--About Lightwave, and if it says Build 1269 it's a bad one. Throws up all kinds of problems, even FPrime crashes more often on that build. Build 1280 seems to be fine again.

PS: There is, however, a problem with 9.3 that I just recently noticed. The introduction of the "Unseen By Radiosity" kind of kills the setup that was generated by sIBL. You need to flag this for he background ball, otherwise your environment will not light through it.
So, yeah, an update of the sIBL Loader is overdue as well.

Blochi

IP Logged

animotion
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/23/07 at 06:12:36

Even after entering the regedit data I am still getting the same error.
Animotion Undecided

IP Logged

dalecampbelljr
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/30/07 at 00:19:47

when can we hope to see an update, I have the same problem under Vista64

IP Logged

Blochi
Administrator

Hollywood
Reply #12 - 01/03/08 at 01:11:45

Uhm.. I am currently on my Christmas/NewYears vacation, and in my day job they have already announced crunch time to start the day I come back.

So to be honest, I cannot promise an update before the end of January. Especially, since I have no clue what the real error is, and how to fix it - it seems to be buried deep within the LScript system itself. Meaning, I will have to find a workaround (just like daily business in Lightwave, where workarounds make up 90% o the work.....).

Sorry bout this.
Blochi

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print